Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Whats with the fetish of the lack of apps. I been using for a while now and I can't think of hardly anything that I want to do that I cannot do because there is "app" and the "app gap" exists. I really cannot think of a situation. I think this whole app gap nonsense is propagated and thrown around by trolls over and over. How many goddamnn calculator apps you need? LOL

SnapChat for example. Most (not all) teens and 20s swear by it. It's also to do with the quality of apps. No first or third party app available (don't try and tell me 6Snap, it's been removed from the store and SnapChat will permanently ban you for using it, without appeal.) Compare Instagram on iOS/Android to Windows Phone for example. There are plenty more examples of both but figured I'd give the biggest examples of each.

FirstWatt

Feb 3, 2015
Visit site
@Wes Smith

You are missing the point.

There are quite some apps missing, especially in the management of hardware like stereos, home automation, perhaps smart watches, things like that.
It's not about having a lot of similar apps (you mentioned calculators), but of having at least ONE good app.

Last edited:

kjmcintosh

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
It used to be that the lack of an app was no big deal but the problem is bigger now than it was before. Vendors are now only giving you an app option to control hardware. Where as before they would have built a web interface for their device, now there is none. That leaves the user with only two options buy an android or iOS device to control it. It is fair to say its not a number game as I don't believe that the numbers of apps in a store makes it better as there will always be duplication

tumelo mphunga

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I'm done with windows phone my contract is up in November in going to android. I'm tired of getting every app or game after the whole world has enjoyed it. the os is a joke i cant even share file using wifi direct while the 1520 has the capabilities

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
If anybody buys a phone just because its has cool tiles... or doesn't buy a phone because its perceived as boring...are not credible. Phones are tools, not gimmicky toys. As a techie who is responsible for 40 company phones...since we went from Android to iPhones, our helpdesk never gets a call about a smartphone issue, and our users are frankly... technical idiots. I would never even consider giving them a WP. I'd never get any sleep. Bottom line...there is nothing they can't do with an iPhone, and better yet, I don't get any help calls anymore. I couldn't care less, nor our users about it being "boring". What's boring is not having any phone issues anymore.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Honestly, the lack of quality official popular apps and less to no regular updates, lack of localized services apps, the messed UX, and horrible Start Screen in Windows 10 Mobile(Totally Transparent or same accent coloured as opposed to colourful, lively Start Screen in Windows 10 PC).
Sorry, with the way Microsoft is going to push Windows 10 Mobile Software and it's support, I see to less of it's future now.
If they want establish themselves as Smartphone OS player they should unify app store( not majority apps for pc only, some apps for windows mobile only and only few for both pc and mobile), advertise it too much, bring developers to develop official and quality apps on Windows 10 Mobile Store. bring same start screen concept in both pc and mobile, Horizontal scrolling in Start Screen of Windows 10 Mobile as in PC.

Eisenhorn76

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
My experience with the 640XL (my first WP device) has been very positive so I will definitely get the upcoming 950XL. I find the UI a nice departure from Android and iOS. I use 3 devices anyway so I don't find myself missing any apps on WP -- I just use something else. Maybe if I were using it as my only device, I'd be looking elsewhere but for now, I'm happy.

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
As much as I've enjoyed having a wp the last 5-6 years or so I think I'm moving to android in a few weeks but keeping my L1020 as I cant fully part with it. Its been so good to me but yes the lack of the fun stuff is an issue and even the apps I do use regularly seem better on other devices.

For me its to try something new and the 6Edge plus is so freaking sexy.

Maybe I will return to wp in 2 years who knows.

jancouver

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
i don't know. let's see. But i'm eyeing on the upcoming iphone 6s. i love my 1520, let's see what will Windows 10 mobile has to offer.

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
.... I really cannot think of a situation. I think this whole app gap nonsense is propagated and thrown around by trolls over and over.... LOL

Think of: sport events, festivals, museums, schools, insurance companies, home alarms, car features, smart home apps (like for the heating system, lights etc) etc etc etc. There IS a huge app gap, denying this is not to be connected with the reality.

johnh3

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
I have used Windows Phone since Nokia Lumia 800. But I recently bought a Sony Xperia z3+
Was tired to wait so long to a new Windows Phone flagship. And so many apps still missing, bank apps and others.
Still like the live tiles interface.
But on the other hand all the Microsoft apps I use are now on Android anyway. Skype, OneDrive, Outlook, MixRadio etc..

I have my doubt Windows 10 Mobile will change so much. The only other OEM that seems interested in it are Acer.
I think the mobile guru Tomi Ahonen was right when he forecasted that Microsoft will pull out of the mobile business totaly around 2017, they will put there services on the other platforms.

They can still remain in the tablet market, but thats another story. Not depended at phone carriers etc..

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes. I am in search of the perfect phone for me, one that has a solid unibody design. I have a Lumia 830 and I hate it - did I say I hate it? The flimsy back cover unclips (how does it do that???), the glass hits the ground, the battery flies nicely off in another direction, but the back -- now there's a loyal hero - remains steadfastly in my hand. I love crawling around to retrieve all the pieces, in front of people is particularly fun.
Yet, due to my love affair with my HTC8X, I will continue the quest for the perfect Windows Phone - in my case, just one that doesn't fly apart would do.
To be part of the app discussion, I'm exhausted. I just don't want to try a new app to see if it's fun, or because my friends love it, or because just maybe it'll make my life easier. I'm kind of old school and don't want to be staring at my phone all the time and miss what's going on around me (I'll probably get slapped here - or called a dinosaur). And learning a new OS is time consuming and for me, unnecessary. I left iPhone a few years ago to streamline my life, and I'm happy. I don't need a new app. For anything.

Strange. My back snaps firmly into place and stays there. Are some of your tabs broken?

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I've used all platforms and WP feels most natural for my needs. iPhone is a walled garden but certainly performs well. Android is the opposite, an open platform that never seems complete. Blackberry is lost in the woods and is now making an Android phone. Go figure. WP has everything I need to stay connected to work, school, family, etc. I love having a removable battery and SD card slot. I'm interested to see where 10 will lead them and if devs will take a liking. I'm really enjoying my 830 but will most likely get one of the new offerings too.

jdpg2

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Yes , its about the eco system, Google and iOS will never have a complete eco system. Both lack a gaming platform, Google has a fragmented phone operating system that is vendor specific and no true desktop presence. iOS has an aging phone os that doesn't function the same as their desktop.

What MS has, that will only get better with time, is platform synergy that can only come from an eco system. I love the synergy between my phone, desktop, surface, Xbox one and band. Windows 10 (latest build) on the phone is almost there, and I can hop on any device and not miss a beat. Even if MS deploys many of its services to iOS and Android I cant imaging the work flow will be the same. When you factor in Continuum and Universal apps I believe the potential is huge.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Think of: sport events, festivals, museums, schools, insurance companies, home alarms, car features, smart home apps (like for the heating system, lights etc) etc etc etc. There IS a huge app gap, denying this is not to be connected with the reality.

Don't need or want any of them. Most people "need" apps because their friends have it or "just in case".

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos