Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

Anthony East

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes definitely. I've never used an IOS phone as I won't be conned into buying one of their exorbitantly overpriced products. I dislike Android, particularly the almost constant updating of apps which sometimes locks up my tablet. I'm delighted with my somewhat ancient Samsung Ativ S and my much newer 640 XL. Yes I'm prepared to pay for a higher spec Windows 10 Mobile phone when they eventually appear, but for the moment I'm extremely happy with my 640 XL which meets all my current requirements. I will never go back to Android and there's only one app I miss, which is Moon + Reader. Unfortunately none of the Windows phone epub readers come close to it, but BookViser is an acceptable substitute until something better comes along. I really look forward to Windows Mobile and the higher spec phones that will go with it.

tomlabus

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I've had a good experience withn the 1520. Not feeling any "app envy".

What can I say, I like the design and find the other two mainstays not that attractive,

Let's see the 950's

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
As long as there's a Windows OS, I'll be using it. Whether that's on a Microsoft made device or a device made by another OEM, I'm not sure.

But as long as Windows is an option in the mobile space, it'll be my OS.

razukual

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes, out of all the OS for a smartphone, I would say windows is the best. I'm a graphic designer, so it very important for me to be able to use social media apps, some camera effects, and have a decent camera, the lumia 640 gives me all that and then some. However, I will say I do like the Iphone OS, but the nonadjustable memory, has always bugged me, and now Samsung is doing the same thing.

As for android phones, I hate them with a passion. They have too many bugs, and I know every phone has their own set of glitches, but at least Apple and Microsoft go out of their way to fix them. Android phones reproduce faster than bunnies, however did we fix all the major glitches in the previous version of the phone? No, but we did add all these sweet bells, and whistles, and you will but it anyways. An Example of this would be the Galaxy S4, and the Galaxy S5, the over heating, which put strained on the battery in the S4, was not fixed in the S5, a long with the terrible connection issues and hug amount of glitches.

Ejwan2

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I bought the 920 the first day it was available. I thought surely more apps will come in a little while. Well more apps have come, but many haven't. When a new product with an associated app comes out the apps will be ios or android, almost never windows mobile ( Sonos, Denon, Smartthings, and others).

I am going to take a very close look at the new iphones. I am not fond of their (what I consider dull) user interface, but it does have the latest apps. The Apple design is also more aesthetically pleasing. I am not sure that paying the "Apple Tax is worthwhile though. $200-300 more for an Apple phone is a heavy upcharge for a phone.

I cant believe Microsoft considers the 950s a premium phone. Functionally yes, but aesthetically it just another molded plastic blob. Even a simple metal band, ( ala the 830s), would dress up the lifeless plastic.

Microsoft is adding some conversion features to Visual Studio which will allow ios and android apps to be easily ported to windows platforms. I expect this will be a great help for the windows desktop and phone over the next year. Hopefully this will alleviate the app gap.

I am still on the fence. I will wait and see what Microsoft and Apple have to offer this fall. I am really leaning towards Apple though.

razukual

Aug 9, 2015
Visit site
you could always buy a refurbish model at gazelle, plus if you break the phone, Apple will replace you model with a new one, for $120 dollars.

rapperman

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
At this point Windows phone is little more than a way to keep up with the times for me. I got kicked in the teeth like everyone else by purchasing the Lumia 900, and over the last couple of years I've used the Samsung Focus S, the HTC 8X, The Lumia Icon and most recently the Lumia 640. All were excellent pieces of hardware that were hampered by an OS that while elegant and fluid was several steps behind Google's Android and Apple's iOS.

iOS simply works. Provides all the basics and seems to do them more reliably than Windows does. It's ecosystem is vastly superior and because the app store is strictly managed by Apple folks can be reasonably assured that malicious apps will not make their way onto their devices. There is no reason for folks to even attempt Windows if they are already invested here.

Android offers unmatched versatility and customization at the expense of privacy and security. I like android but loathe the feeling that Google knows everything about me and is making money using that information. It's ecosystem is a large as Apple's and the OS is quite fluid (though some would say otherwise) but it just doesn't feel as stable as the latter's (Lollipop in particular has seemed like a disaster to me). Android's greatest weakness is also it's greatest strength... many manufacturer's, releasing many devices at a near frantic pace. This provides many upgrade options for the enthusiast but results in devices being abandoned by their manufacturer's far too soon in their life cycle.

Blackberry's OS10 is a great operating system. Can't remember the last time it hiccuped on me. It's security is unmatched and it is the only OS that seems to know how to get multitasking right. It's native app ecosytem is worse than Microsoft's but it does allow the installation and use of android apps by including an android runtime environment (Not all apps will work, but a great majority of them do).

All in all Windows still has a way to go in my mind. It's okay for the casual user but doesn't meet the needs of anyone outside of that. Microsoft's own apps are available on other platforms and seem to run better and have more features in those environments... which is totally frustrating!

Microsoft has bet the farm and is promising us the world with Windows 10 but if the mobile version is anything like the desktop version I will be extremely disappointed; having had quite a few continuing issues even with a clean install.

Long story short... I won't be purchasing a new Windows device any time soon. I will evaluate Windows 10 on my existing devices (the Lumia 640, and hopefully the Icon as well) and if I find that it meets my needs at that time I will reconsider.

Last edited:

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
I'd like to see more Love for Canada. Cortana does not work here. And if you choose a different region where Cortana works, well, all you searches are off, and times are off.

That is just **** poor.

Otherwise, the OS is great. Yes, I can't get certain apps, but I found work arounds. I hope that changes. Thanksfully one of my banks supports Windows Phones!

Yup, I'd but another!

Mr. V

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
the main difference between the men and animals is that men do not repeat the same mistake .. so NO

I don't think that's the main difference between men and animals... And I've seen men make the same mistakes many times.

Additionally, as you're implying that men learn from their mistakes, wouldn't you guess that Microsoft would learn from their past mistakes with Windows Phone? Or are you saying that Microsoft composed of "animals" rather than humans?

Yikes...

trev81uk

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Yep, absolutely. No doubt!
I'm lucky enough to have a long standing, never failing 920 (personal) and a 930 for work and I absolutely love the OS.
My only decision now is to whether move fully across to the 930 when my personal contract is up.

Recently tried the other half's Moto G for a few days and it just wasn't me, nothing wrong with it (a little bit of lag).

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Yep, absolutely. No doubt!
I'm lucky enough to have a long standing, never failing 920 (personal) and a 930 for work and I absolutely love the OS.
My only decision now is to whether move fully across to the 930 when my personal contract is up.

Recently tried the other half's Moto G for a few days and it just wasn't me, nothing wrong with it (a little bit of lag).

Everyone seems intent to throw in "lag" when referring to Android, all three of my WPs exhibit a certain amount of lag with some worse than others so what's the point?

Potzy2

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Well, MS isn't making it as difficult decision as I'd hoped. Rolling with iPhone 6 ( after I thought I never would) and besides the live tiles, I don't miss it as much. 1520 was great but the size got old and I never liked any other model as much as the 920. Almost everything that made WP unique and forward thinking (hubs, People app, dedicated camera, etc.) MS has slowly stripped it away. Coupled with the loss of Nokia apps and really, what is worth holding on to?

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Yes I would buy another Windows Phone. I currently have the 830. I used to have the 520, 920, 1020 and loved them all. I got my wife to ditch her old 4S for the 1520.

trev81uk

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Everyone seems intent to throw in "lag" when referring to Android, all three of my WPs exhibit a certain amount of lag with some worse than others so what's the point?

It was purely an observation. Yes I tried an Android and it had lag!
The Windows Devices I've had so far, including my 520 (I miss that little fella) haven't suffered from lag.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes. I hate android after that windows phone YouTube app farce on Google's part and iOS is too suffocating. The question is will Microsoft keep on making Windows 10 mobile phones? Because as long as they or anyone will keep making them, I'll keep buying them.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

Well, I want to make one thing clear. And that's when people talk about "lag", they don't mean loading and resuming times but the times when apps or OS becomes unresponsive or "held" and in most cases has to be restarted. It happens with the best of android devices but never with the most budget of windows phone devices.

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I've jumped ship and I'm not coming back anytime soon. After 3 years with a Lumia 710 running WP7.8 I went to Android with a Moto G (2014). I have far more official apps for Android from Canadian companies that I do business with as compared to Windows Phone. Syncing bookmarks in Google Chrome and saved locations Google Maps between Windows 10, Android and iPad is easy and I've always thought Chrome is superior to IE or Edge and Google Maps is superior to Bing Maps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)