Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I would consider a Windows Mobile device; but, Microsoft currently does not have a device in their lineup that targets my demographic. As a value conscious techy, I'm looking for something like a 200 USD device with a Snapdragon 800 (or better) and a 5"+ display.

Instead, Microsoft keeps on churning out 40/60 USD phones and then has nothing remotely worth the money till their high end offerings... which still lack the latest specs and isn't a great value.

All in all, the OS is not the problem. Microsoft needs to drastically improve its hardware lineup to address more than just the ultra low end.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I would consider a Windows Mobile device; but, Microsoft currently does not have a device in their lineup that targets my demographic. As a value conscious techy, I'm looking for something like a 200 USD device with a Snapdragon 800 (or better) and a 5"+ display.

Instead, Microsoft keeps on churning out 40/60 USD phones and then has nothing remotely worth the money till their high end offerings... which still lack the latest specs and isn't a great value.

All in all, the OS is not the problem. Microsoft needs to drastically improve its hardware lineup to address more than just the ultra low end.

There isn't anything else that fits the bill in android world either in the sub 200 bracket.. Snapdragon 800 or better? No wonder hardware manufacturers are bleeding lol. Everyone wants Ferrari specs on Fiat money...sheesh!

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
After being on the platform from day one for nearly 5 years (Samsung focus-> L920 -> L830) I can safely say I will NEVER buy another Windows phone. The platform has stagnated, failed to live up to any of it's promises or potential and lost all its original charm and uniqueness with windows 10. Also, I've gotten tired of Microsoft repeatedly abandoning or not further developing interesting ideas and apps on WP itself, while giving greater attention to competing platforms- and that's not even taking into account the lack of apps or poorly designed, never updated apps.

I'm eagerly looking forward to the iPhone 6s's release and going back into the apple ecosystem after playing around with my sisters iPhone 6 and iPad air 2. Plus as a bonus, I'll get a much better Microsoft Service experience on Apples platform than I ever would on Microsoft's :excited:

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't know if my next cell phone will be a windows one. I have had a L820 for 2 years and now i want to go through a better one. However, here in Brazil, all the windows phone (with good price) is being louched in 3G. There's the L830 that is in 4G, ok but the frontal camera of it is a ****. About L735 it is sold only in microsoft stores 200 reais more expensive than the L730, I won't spend my money in a cell phone that is 200 more expensive than other just because it has 4g technology. And to end the list, there's surely the amazing L640 Xl, that the 4g version was just realised at Vivo stores, no competition, result: it costs 300 reais more expensive than the 3G version of other stores. I'll wait until black friday to see how will be the price of L840 (or L850?). If it would be more than 1000 reais (around $300) I will buy a android phone, because it has good options for a better price here in Brazil.

nubbikins

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty much on the fence here.... since there is nothing that matches the size and quality of the 1520 (at least in my eyes), I may end up trying out Android for a little while. I love the UI, but it's not enough to keep me around.

I was an iPhone user from 2007 until 2013 but it wasn't doing anything for me any longer. It was getting stale... still is stale and extremely boring. I call them "Leap Frogs" every time I make fun of my iPhone friends since that's basically all they are, a child's computer locked down and controlled by the adult (Apple).

There are only two things that will keep me with WM10:
1.) Better apps. I have every app I need, but most of them tend to be a joke. The companies create them for WM and then just ditch them. Never updating or improving. Hopefully (as every WM ****** says) WM10 will help fix that problem.
2.) A Decent Flagship. I consider my 1520 to be one of the last true flagships and not "just another numbered phone". If they don't release a Surface XL Phone, or something similar in design to the renders I've seen, in the next 6 months, I might as well jump ship to a higher quality phone.

jhildy73

Sep 1, 2015
Visit site
There isn't anything else that fits the bill in android world either in the sub 200 bracket.. Snapdragon 800 or better? No wonder hardware manufacturers are bleeding lol. Everyone wants Ferrari specs on Fiat money...sheesh!

So funny that everyone says they want a snapdragon 800 or better....my LG g2 had a snap800 and because of android that snap80 didn't mean a thing...android bogs down the system like crazy...the apps are not always stable and can lead to major battery drain and lag....by ANY android phone with any chip and start downloading apps...after about 20 or so I promise you the phone will be slower than most windows phones out there... Android phones need so much horse power just to run it's ridiculous.Did it ever dawn on u that the reason why they are releasing quad and Oct core phones is because u have android on top of the manufacturers skin?.

OrdinaryPhil

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Yes.

The design of the Lumia 830 and 930 are among the greatest phone designs... ever. There are no compromises. The physical device is every bit as important to me as the OS running on it. The Lumia 830 came within a hair's breadth of being the absolute perfect phone. The only thing that really bugged was the display being LCD and not AMOLED. If the screen had been AMOLED it would be absolute perfect device.

The 930 was also close to perfect, but had a few misses as well. The CPU choice was poor and the phone tended to get warm in your hand - not as been as the Google Nexus devices, or the iPhones - but it got a little toasty and that speaks to poor engineering (both from Qualcomm and Nokia/MS). Apart from that, the styling was spot on. The rounded aluminum edges made a very attractive device, and it had a good weight to it - not heavy, but not a featherweight like the iPhones and Galaxies that eschew features and quality for the sake of shedding a few fractions of an ounce.

The real reason I love my Lumia is that it just works. It does what I ask, when I ask, and I never have to fiddle with the damn thing. I've owned various android devives, and I've suffered through the iPhone experience - and both systems are nothing short of infuriating when it comes to doing simple tasks. I've owned the 930 since it debuted and it has never missed a beat. It syncs with my car flawlessly, has higher quality audio than any of its competitors, has a wonderful camera for capturing details when I need it, and the OS is stable as can be. I've never had to reset for anything other than a major OS update.

Android and iOS can play the 'app-gap' card 'till they run out of breath - but the reality of the situation is that most people don't download more than a small handful of apps. I myself have almost none. I can think of litterally ONE app that is missing from WP that I actually care about, and it's the most unimportant thing in my world. It's a silly game. If asked to suffer through lesser devices, and less stable operating systems just so I can play a silly game that feeds my personal info back to some server - I'd be a fool to chase it.

WP is the more elegant choice - it's for users who are not so insecure that they have to keep up with the Jones's. I don't feel the need to compete with how many apps (security risks) I can fill my device with. If you're a teenage girl in highschool who wears her jeans in such a way that the Abercrombie tag is visible - so you can 'fit in' - the iPhone is probably essential. If you're an intelligent adult with nothing to prove - Windows Phone is the only reasonable answer.

bsharpy

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
Just got a 1520. I plan on doing some universal development for Win10 so I got it to test on. Have been a long time Android user and the simple UI of 8.1 is a nice escape from the ever increasingly convoluted NIX style UI of Android. So far I really like the phone. The apps seem to be growing for the platform and I think with the Win 10 and the universal app api Microsoft is going to be the way to go in the future. Smart phones have gotten boring. Android is stagnating with a limited ability to expand its horizons beyond a phone or toy tablet and IOS with its typical Apple communism will be limited by its own proprietary nature. With Win 10 and its universal approach it has at least a foreseeable expandable future that Android and IOS at this point do not.

dougmor2000

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
No, my company's support for the platform is waning and as much as I like Windows phones, many custom apps that are created for my business are only for iOS and Android. They are going to be dropping support for Windows phonw.

Belushi Schweeft

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
My humble opinion, for what it's worth:

The app gap/app envy is something consumers are fully aware of before they even look at a WP. They reviews might be wrong (I read a review for the 640XL that listed "No Crossy Road" as a reason not to buy one...even though Crossy Road is on WP) and that's a shame but many of the big hitters are not on WP and the arrival of Windows 10 has yet to bring those devs to the platform. If the latest figures are true and Windows 10 is now on 85 million machines, that's a whole lot of people Snapchat could connect with easily...but they haven't yet, like many.

I think I'm lucky - I jumped over to WP from the iPhone when WP7 dropped and Apple's App Store was a mess and full of rubbish. I have got used to the platform's app availability and I rarely feel I'm missing out on much, plus I have a camera that is the envy of everyone who has seen a photo I have taken (Lumia 930). However...I would definitely make use of a NowTV app, or a BTSport App, or Skyplus, or one for my Bank...among others. As a former 1520 owner I am looking at the 950XL as the phone most likely to be my next, but if I'm going to stick with the platform I need to KNOW that something is being done to get not just the big names but the niche names onto WP too. We've heard much about the platform MS is building to help devs convert apps quickly; great...but if they don't, then what? MS need to do it for them as the smartphone war is all but over for the next few years at least and MS need 15% of the global market at least to be considered a genuine player.

I have no doubts about the hardware and I've never had any grumbles about build quality, look and feel or any of the aesthetics; the guy next to me in my office saw a video clip on my phone and acknowledged that the display was amazing and the photos were unbelievable. However, when it comes to the "have you tried the ------------- app out yet" there's a good chance I have to say "no, it's not available yet."

I like Windows 10, I hope that the phone version impresses as much but more than anything I hope that MS stops talking about apps coming to the platform and gets them, even if it has to do the donkey work itself; maybe create a new subsidiary whose sole purpose is to convert and licence apps that are missing from the platform, but take control of the situation. It may well be that in a year's time there are 250 million Windows 10 users and suddenly developers are flocking over, but yet again MS will be on the backfoot on launch day, admitting to journalists that, as with WP8 and WP8.1, the phone is great but the apps are not there to tempt Android users over.

I'm undecided, where I was previously without doubt. I love using WP and I love my phone still being a top performer well over a year after its release, but if I can't use what my peers are using I'm at a disadvantage and that Samsung S6 does look pretty damned good. I fear that, yet again, MS will drop the ball on WP10 release day and tell us "we're still working with xxxxxxx to close the app gap" (which they've been saying for several years now) when they should be lining up the big app devs to launch the phone with a guarantee - "the top 100 downloaded apps of 2015 are on WP10 from launch day". That's what should happen and that would end the debate as to whether or not MS is in any way serious about WP or just throwing the dice once last time and hoping it'll work this time, which is not the way to treat an old or a new paying customer. I've been loyal...I don't think it's wrong to want that loyalty to be rewarded in some way.

JasonSCarter

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
As much as I love the OS, I gave gotten burned by update blues from 2 out of the 3 phones I have owned. Flagship Lumia 900, obsolete few months after launch. Now, with my 830, ATT is holding back an update Microsoft promised at launch of the device. Its a pain. 920 was a solid phone though. I just cant see myself sticking with it sadly. And I am a Microsoft fan boy. There are still apps I want that I can't get, and the core Microsoft apps are now available on the other platforms.

Richard Toft

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Definitely, Lumia 820 was a brilliant phone, Lumia 930 excellent, currently running windows 10 and I can't wait for continuum in fact I may buy another phone before my contract is out to get continuum.

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Before I switched from iOS to WP I KNOW there is an App Gap. That's not my problem. My problem is those apps that Microsoft should be actually doing well are either being discontinued or are half assed garbage.

This wasn't the situation in WP8/8.1.

News, GREAT.
Weather, GREAT.
Food & Drink, discontinued, was a great app
Health & Fitness, discontinued, was a great app --- I use this daily. DAILY.
Groove, one of the worst apps I've ever used

The problem here is not the app gap but the MS Apps that are beautiful now going away or the apps that were once usable are now completely non functional. I didn't care about the app gap but because of Groove I am missing the iOS player/Shuttle on Android/Music+Videos.

Sucks because if only Microsoft fixes the app I would probably still stay. I've been waiting for a year and a half for a decent music player and all I got was basically toned down versions of M+V. Music + Videos was one of the apps that made me switch from iOS to WP. It's so gorgeous.

I'm still a fan but I hope Microsoft is giving more attention to their mobile platform. I know W10 Desktop is their priority but it's a month before they announce their flagships and there are hundreds of bugs still waiting to be fixed in W10M. C'mon MS, I gave hundreds of feedback (50% for Groove).

I'm fleeing to iOS (for a year, getting the 6s) but keeping my L1520 in case Microsoft was hit by a rock on the head.

And to end my comment, here's Tyra summing up my emotions:
attachment.php

Attachments

• RootingForYou-300x181.gif
    RootingForYou-300x181.gif
    27.3 KB · Views: 106

HerrBag

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Laura has the right of it.. I'm a remodeling contractor and get paid by check.. Being able to use the bank's app on my phone WAS great (BOA on Lumia 900)

It and many other things have been sunsetted (I'm assuming) by MS to encourage upward migration. Its only served to enrage me and fuel me with a terrible resolve to move to Android

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Before I switched from iOS to WP I KNOW there is an App Gap. That's not my problem. My problem is those apps that Microsoft should be actually doing well are either being discontinued or are half assed garbage.

This wasn't the situation in WP8/8.1.

News, GREAT.
Weather, GREAT.
Food & Drink, discontinued, was a great app
Health & Fitness, discontinued, was a great app --- I use this daily. DAILY.
Groove, one of the worst apps I've ever used

The problem here is not the app gap but the MS Apps that are beautiful now going away or the apps that were once usable are now completely non functional. I didn't care about the app gap but because of Groove I am missing the iOS player/Shuttle on Android/Music+Videos.

Sucks because if only Microsoft fixes the app I would probably still stay. I've been waiting for a year and a half for a decent music player and all I got was basically toned down versions of M+V. Music + Videos was one of the apps that made me switch from iOS to WP. It's so gorgeous.

I'm still a fan but I hope Microsoft is giving more attention to their mobile platform. I know W10 Desktop is their priority but it's a month before they announce their flagships and there are hundreds of bugs still waiting to be fixed in W10M. C'mon MS, I gave hundreds of feedback (50% for Groove).

I'm fleeing to iOS (for a year, getting the 6s) but keeping my L1520 in case Microsoft was hit by a rock on the head.

And to end my comment, here's Tyra summing up my emotions:
http://forums.windowscentral.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=111929&stc=1

Exactly my thoughts. It was fun at first. WP7 looked really different, cool, has its own personality. But look at how zombified WP10 is. And the app gap. Or the apps disintegrating and lagging behind competitors. I had enough. Five years was good enough.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99