Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
There isn't anything else that fits the bill in android world either in the sub 200 bracket.. Snapdragon 800 or better? No wonder hardware manufacturers are bleeding lol. Everyone wants Ferrari specs on Fiat money...sheesh!
A G2 is as low as 180 USD, G3 is like 250 USD, Fire Phone is 140 USD, the HTC One M8 was pretty cheap as well but I don't pay attention to that... And of course the Xperia Z Ultra was a big bust that has hit 200 USD price point a couple of times.

I realize that these are old model Androids but there is no old model Windows Phone that has really hit these price points. All the while, Microsoft is churning out "high end" devices that look like their last year's model along with last year's specs like the 930.

MrPhilicorda

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I've been using (and defending) Windows Phone since WP7 days but now I'm closer than ever switching. This is partly because of the app situation, but also because I think MS is going into the wrong direction with the hardware. I got into Nokia because they were waaaay ahead of the competition with their camera tech. The designs of the phones was great too. Now? None of those things apply. The Lumia 950 looks cheap with its boring and unimaginative plastic shell and the camera is no better than the competition.

I've been looking at some of the new Xperias for instance and they tick a lot of my boxes. Only thing holding me off is I'm not sure how compatible Android is with W10 PC's, Onedrive and such.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
As a phone, I'm very happy with my Lumia 640. I was annoyed though when they discontinued the Health & Fitness app! I just needed the step counter and this one did the job admirably. The replacement Health app doesn't seem to show it in realtime which is highly annoying. I have to sync it first for it to show the count. I can only assume this is part of Microsoft's attempt to push users towards their Band? I have not need of apps with feature creep, yet it seems it's apps that do simple things that are the hardest to find, unless someone can recommend a good step counter app, as all the ones I see in the app store have poor reviews and often only show metric at that.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
In a heartbeat. I've got a Droid Turbo and a note 5 at the moment and I'm dying for either of the new Microsoft branded phones to hit Verizon.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking at some of the new Xperias for instance and they tick a lot of my boxes. Only thing holding me off is I'm not sure how compatible Android is with W10 PC's, Onedrive and such.
I also have an LG Optimus F3 on which I use Onedrive to backup my photos via Wifi. Works very well. I find Onedrive is much simpler to use than Google drive, plus of course it's cross platform.

WereRat

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
For me, after two years with a 925 and the wife using 521 and 635, I would say: let's see, but probably. W10 phones aren't out yet, so I really have no basis to decide for the future.

Cortana is great (US version); I don't give a rat's 6 about the latest mobile game; and the important stuff (phone, camera, mail, work email, Office, Lync (aka Skype for Business)) for the phone as a tool are top-notch, so I've been happy with the WP phones to date.

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I've been using (and defending) Windows Phone since WP7 days but now I'm closer than ever switching. This is partly because of the app situation, but also because I think MS is going into the wrong direction with the hardware. I got into Nokia because they were waaaay ahead of the competition with their camera tech. The designs of the phones was great too. Now? None of those things apply. The Lumia 950 looks cheap with its boring and unimaginative plastic shell and the camera is no better than the competition.

One drive works flawlessly on my Android phone.

<TED>

Willelmus

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I jumped on the WP bandwagon with the 920. The phone was such a beauty I just couldn't bear seeing it in someone else's hands without wanting it for my own. At that point the app gap didn't bother me that much ( it still doesn't). I was fully aware of it but the smoothness of the UI, the integration between hubs and other parts of the OS made up for it, and some.

Then they took out facebook messaging integration, touting that something else was coming but I had to wait until yesterday to actually see it happen. I bought the 1520 after that. Partly because I was still in love with the OS, partly because the 930 was unavailable at that time in my region (US) and, well, it is a beauty after all (still prefer the 930 though).

Windows 10 mobile has potential a lot of it. They're fixing their vision of having hamburger menus everywhere, the OS for such an early build is remarkably stable and the integration with the windows ecosystem is great (I own a PC, and an XBOXone too so).

And to be honest, I've been waiting for a new flagship phone for a while now. But this. I can understand the design language, but to me, this is a let-down. In my opinion, the two phone leaked are in no way close the beauty and class of the 930, 1520, 920 or 820. Problem is, I don't think android phones look that good either. The S6 is ok but just ok, Sony's phones are meh and HTC is stuck with a boring design. I like HTC sense though.

So there I am. I might get another WP if the leaked phones look better in real. But to be honest, my wallet is up for grabs. I'll probably head into a phone shop and buy whatever I find pretty.

Mohammed Bugedwala

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Definitely, being a part of an evolving ecosystem is an experience, and nothing can beat the minimalistic yet superior UI design. As far as the apps are concerned, I have my hopes with Windows 10. But yes, I will stick around.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
A G2 is as low as 180 USD, G3 is like 250 USD, Fire Phone is 140 USD, the HTC One M8 was pretty cheap as well but I don't pay attention to that... And of course the Xperia Z Ultra was a big bust that has hit 200 USD price point a couple of times.

I realize that these are old model Androids but there is no old model Windows Phone that has really hit these price points. All the while, Microsoft is churning out "high end" devices that look like their last year's model along with last year's specs like the 930.
Good luck finding a Fire Phone to buy, Amazon has killed it altogether. The rest of the list makes sense though.

rit89

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
NO, Resently i sold out my Nokia lumia 730. n finally switch to android with Samsung j7..main reason is Microsoft is not interested in cell phone market. WP10 IS TOO LATE SIMILAR LIKE WIN 7 TO WIN8.. AND PEOPLE DON'T LIKE MICROSOFT AS BRAND NAME...PEOPLE DON'T LOOK OS THEY JUST LOOK "NOKIA"..MICROSOFT REPLACING NOKIA'S NAME FROM DEVICES IS BIG IMPACT ON BUYERS MIND. NOKIA WAS GIVING OWN FEATURES LIKE DOUBLE TAP TO WAKE,GLANCE, HERE LENS,DRIVE,MAP,LUMIA CAMERA WITH STYLISH LOOK AND QUALITY SMARTPHONE.

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
yes, why? its the only option for me, and I don't rely on my phone as my main computer anyway, as soon as it fails me I just throw it somewhere and sit on my desk, besides, I cant stand android's mess or iOS dumbness

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
NO, Resently i sold out my Nokia lumia 730. n finally switch to android with Samsung j7..main reason is Microsoft is not interested in cell phone market. WP10 IS TOO LATE SIMILAR LIKE WIN 7 TO WIN8.. AND PEOPLE DON'T LIKE MICROSOFT AS BRAND NAME...PEOPLE DON'T LOOK OS THEY JUST LOOK "NOKIA"..MICROSOFT REPLACING NOKIA'S NAME FROM DEVICES IS BIG IMPACT ON BUYERS MIND. NOKIA WAS GIVING OWN FEATURES LIKE DOUBLE TAP TO WAKE,GLANCE, HERE LENS,DRIVE,MAP,LUMIA CAMERA WITH STYLISH LOOK AND QUALITY SMARTPHONE.

Glad you, uh, created an account to post this...

Welcome to Windows Central!

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
after what Apple presented including Microsoft showing office on the new ipad :)))))) a big NO! for any ms devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss