Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I switched recently from 640XL to Nexus 6 and I couldn't be any happier. I was never an Android fan (Pre, Pre2, HP Pre3, Blackberry Z10 and Z30 and Windows 640XL). But now I see the app gap situation and it is a HUGE deal. I mean even the same apps on Android that are on Windows are just more updated. I hope that 950 and 950XL and soon to be Surface Phone due make an impact and developers cross into WM10. Because now you have Blackberry with the upcoming Venice (slider) and Passport 2 with Android and BB skin and security. The Venice will have both a qwerty slider keyboard and touchscreen keyboard! That maybe my next device along with Google Play Store.

Since Windows Mobile 10 can run Android apps this will become less of an issue. Enjoy that $499 phone. At least Nexus is probably the safest Android phone to buy as Google update it which is more than can be said for most. Most Android phones (99.9%) are susceptible to being hacked via a single SMS message. Without you knowing.

ltjordan24

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Without hesitation, yes I would. This has been touched on by other people but the alternatives are too extreme. iOS is boring and non-customizable. The Android experience is the exact opposite. You can get a Galaxy, Nexus, G3 and a One and all of them would have the same version of the OS but the experiences would be vastly different. No thanks. WP is customizable enough, two year old phones still have better cameras than any flagship released today and the some of the hardware is still better than newly announced devices like the 6S (still no 1080p, expandable storage or wireless charging). As far as the "app-gap," if you're looking for something specific like a particular banking app, then there's no substitute for that but most other apps have decent third-party options. Until Microsoft stops making them, I will stick with WP/WM.

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Psst guys, I'm just gonna put it out there that most banking websites work perfectly on win10 mobile so if there's no app, you can still pin the site to your home screen ;)

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Note 5 for the same reason. The last time I tried Android was 18 months ago on a Note 3 and I hated it. I am really liking the Note 5 though. I just sent my Icon back to Verizon as part of the Edge program, deciding I'll keep the Note 5. If MS starts selling a Surface phone that looks like the other Surface products, supports VZW networks and runs an x86 processor it will likely be off contract, full price anyway. And I'd be willing to pay full price for it too.

Ha. I sent my Icon back as part of the Edge too for the edge plus!

Alierna

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
Since Windows Mobile 10 can run Android apps this will become less of an issue. Enjoy that $499 phone. At least Nexus is probably the safest Android phone to buy as Google update it which is more than can be said for most. Most Android phones (99.9%) are susceptible to being hacked via a single SMS message. Without you knowing.
do you really thing updates matters? guess what! we are getting them for 2, 3 years and we are still behind android phones of 2011,12 in features and speed. so what's the point of pointless updates?

Kresh0

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
I have HTC 8x by my side for the past 2 yrs and I'm loving it..but I'm disappointed of how MS treats with non-MS devices - no updates (well, I do have a WP 8.1 dev preveiw, but it's not official), lost hope of getting WP10 :(
Honestly I don't know if I would a WP as my next device, I would probably go again for an Android one due to some apps but..but playin' >400$ for a decent Android phone or <200$ for a decent WP phone, u can guess the winner..

morozshawn

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Absolutely! Right now I'm mostly interested in the Lumia 950 XL, or perhaps... a sequel to the Lumia 1320 device? Who knows...
Moving from Android to Windows Phone and from Google to Microsoft was an excellent move, and I'm not going back.

DaKine 73

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes I would, looking forward to the implementation of the x86 processors on Windows phones. If the rumors are true for the Surface phone I'll be all over that!

Gunnar Orloff

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
Not really sure anymore. I think the windows 10 testing on my Lumia 1520 goes to slowly, I am not happy with the progress, why is it allways something new comes so very late with Microsoft. Pesonally I think Microsoft is too late with their flagship 950s, progress is too slow and always too late. Androide and ios is always a big step ahead, why I do not know.

The phone that I can be interessted in is the 950 XL, but it has to be damn good and have to have the right price too.

markster2015

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Yes personally I like my Lumia 640. But I bought as a interim phone until Lumia 950. I cant wait. this phone will up there with Android flagships. I just hope MS continues support for Windows 10 mobile. Rumours are saying if the Lumia 950 flops that's its for Windows mobile. But I think it will sell well. As its got looks and power and a top notch camera. Please MS no more plastic phones this needs to be Aluminium. Metal build quality

thecozz1

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
When they or someone else makes a phone with a better camera than Lumia 1020 and nok 808, with zenon flash I will buy it...not until then. I would not have bought 1020 and only jumped once os support was ditched.

Virpratap

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I was so pumped when I saw the microsoft OS. I bought myself the Lumia 520 and I loved every part of it, I was proud to have a windows device and enjoyed being part of a different crowd, an owner of a better phone than an iPhone or a Droid.

EXCEPT:
  • when the phone's battery was loose, causing it to randomly shutoff
  • when the phone would automatically shutdown (full shutdown, not because of the battery) at the drop of a hat
  • when the nokia service centers couldn't solve the above problems despite me giving to them 3 times. (someone NOT A MICROSOFT OR
    NOKIA EMPLOYEE finally told me to shove a piece of paper to hold the battery in place, suddenly battery wasn't a problem)
  • when the phone got extremely hot when using a simple app like instagram
  • when the phone suddenly stopped as a boot sector failed, rendering the device useless unless I paid 1/3rd of the phone's price for a service

Sadly, despite my eternal love for the OS and the UI, the lack of apps and the persistent problems that I faced would keep me from buying another Windows phone. I simply don't have a desire to be in an abusive relationship with even worse customer support.

Telmo Baia

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
One year and a half with the "flagship 930" and besides the very good camera, and beautiful amoled screen, the gift of a bluetooth speaker and a ?20 voucher I really think my choice of living without google did not really pay off. WP 8.1 and 10 is a constant beta. My bank does not have a WP app. Neither my semi prof photo camera manufacturer. Of course they do have it for iOS and Android. WM10 is a copy of iOS the buttons the styles the fly-out of the tiles aso. Cortana's stupid regional settings are infuriating. British Cortana sounds like a female Hawkins simulator combined with a depressed BBC presenter. The list is very long and mostly boring. Now my question to you all, who had either of the flagship models would you go and spend another ?4-500 or equivalent in any currency on a new Microsoft Mobile? Please put your hand on your heart and be honest. I will start by saying NO.

No, i wouldn't. I have a 930, and although is has a great camera.... that's it. It freaking sucks! Win 10 mobile doesn't even come closer to Android or IOs.
Oh, and the problems i had with this mobile.... not worth it! So, just go and suck a duck Microsoft!

Shockwave78

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Wow. You're now $949 poorer than earlier today. But at least you'll have access to a few more apps.

Nice phone though. Enjoy it, but get a good case because that's an expensive thing to drop.

Thanks, I am not "poorer" though. I get the new iphone every year and sell the old one. My 128GB iPhone 6 Plus I will get around $600-$650 for as i have gotten every year for the best previous years model. Resulting in i only pay about $300-$350 for the latest iPhone.

For me I am not huge on apps anymore, i just use the basic top 30 or so everyone else uses and thats about it, maybe a few oddball ones here and there but not much more than that. I am more interested in performance and the camera.

I just ordered my daughter the 6s also in the last few minutes which reminded me of my post yesterday. Hopefully i can get around $250-$300 for the 830 as it does have the accidental damage insurance through MS that has not been used at all yet.

Shockwave78

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Psst guys, I'm just gonna put it out there that most banking websites work perfectly on win10 mobile so if there's no app, you can still pin the site to your home screen ;)

Yes but other features don't work if you don't have an app. For starters most banking institutions are starting to add push notifications every time something is charged your debit card or checking accounts immediately through their respective apps for security purposes. You cannot do this if you do not have an app on your phone.

Geza Szakacs

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm really on the fence about getting another Windows phone, I would probably say no.

I have been using my Lumia 920 for over two years and at first I really loved WP because of the great integration with Microsoft services. Now it seems that is no longer the case, nearly all MS services and apps are available on iOS and Android, and in most cases, I find these apps to actually work better on other platforms than on my WP. Another thing that doesn't seem to be getting any better is the app gap between platforms. There hasn't been any significant improvement in the app store for years, nearly all of our apps are outdated, have less features, or we just don't have them at all. At this point I almost find in unacceptable to not have apps like SnapChat, Instagram (that is still in BETA), or an app for my bank. I just don't really understand why Microsoft hasn't been able to figure this out. I can't see Microsoft being successful with Mobile if they're so behind on apps, why would anyone want to switch to a Mobile platform that has no apps they can use. I'm hoping the Universal Windows apps will fix this in the future, and hopefully they'll be able to get developers to convert their iOS and Android apps over to Windows.

I would really love to get another Windows Phone but I don't know how much longer I can wait around for the apps that I want to come to the OS. I'm really tired of hearing "coming soon", "its just around the corner" for the past 3 years. Probably won't be buying another Windows Phone until this huge app gap is fixed, its just not worth it for me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb