Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

stuck_788

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
no, I had a Nokia Lumia 920, too many things/apps missing. Went back (happily) to Android.
Hopefully with a final version of Windows 10 will get better, but I think won't happen soon

Rehan73

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I am having 920 since last 3 years where as my wife has 1320 since last 1 year and we love our Windows Phone. Best part Phone never hangs up. Camera are best as compared to other galaxies and apples.
Looking forward for my upgrade to 950XL on the launch in India.

Wishallrah

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
Yes. I definitely would. Using a Lumia 920 since 2.5 years now and I love it. Currently running the latest build of Win 10 M TP.

I am waiting for the Microsoft Surface phones. That would be my next upgrade.

charlie2128

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm like everybody else have had good and bad experience with Windows and other OS like IOS and/ or Android. I have the L930, it is my first windows phone and I have to say I love the UI but the apps is the issue for me, possible new comers and current users. I firmly believe Microsoft universal apps are going to happen, especially with apple and android apps soon to be easily moved across. Why not? it will work across all devices = more users to sell to.

However, I'm going to hang fire on buying the new L950. I want to see if its a worthy upgrade from my L930.
I've tried the W10 and love what I see but its no were near ready for primary phone users. So until the finished W10 OS comes out, I'll then see if I really need to upgrade from my L930.

Positive of W8.1
bloody great camera!
Simply and informative UI
I have 99.9% of my apps I use/ want to use
I love the design and materials of the Nokia/ Microsoft phone, hate metal (dull, boring). I like colour and solid phone!!!
(these are just the mean ones, other people will have more to add)

Negatives of 8.1
lacks many standard OS feature that other OS's have from the start screen like torch, alarm etc ( changed in W10 tho)
App's. I want my friends and family to use W OS but they see the lack of apps as the decider to stick with there crap OS's. More and better apps will make W OS a easier switch for ppl and that means SKYPE etc will be better for all users of Windows(10)
Can't print from my phone to my printer??? why not, other OS do years ago!
lack of new features that other OS don't have, instead of playing catch up.

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I replied before to this topic and I will reply again haha.

The other day I was about to buy an Asus Zenfone 2 with android. I didn't do it because I could not afford buying a new phone when my current Lumia is not even a year old (I bought it last February). I really want to give W10 a try, but the problem with apps is still big. Maybe I didn't care much about it before, but lately I've been noticing it much more. Yesterday I went to a restaurant and they had an offer, you can save 20 bucks if you download the app. Can you guess who couldn't get the discount? I'd been more than a year saying that WP is the best SO, talking with friends and family. However, in this kind of situations, it's impossible. It's true that you won't need that app everyday, but if you need it because you're going, it's not in the store. I use a lot a webpage to be informed about TV shows and movies, but the app doesn't exist for windows and in IE is all blurry.
Project Astoria may (and I hope it will) help, but sometimes it's frustrating if every weekend I (and we) have to face a similar situation.

rnrmf

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
I'm hanging for the 950 XL. That said, I've just ordered a S6 Edge. I had a 1520 (930, 925, 800 and Mozart before that), and my wife had a 930; both those phones meet with the tiled floor at the wrong angle in the same week. She's now gone iOS with a work phone. The S6 is being supplied by my work, so that will do until the new W10 hardware hits.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
I think I wouldn't.
I will use my Lumia, few more months and after that I will probably buy android.

I am missing some options on apps such as twitter and viber and fb messanger are started after long time. Resuming is going to long.

On the other hand Android is faster and faster and apps are powerful. Not to mention number of apps. I miss some apps on WP :(

ecr80

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Currently have an iPhone 6 Plus (had a L635, L1520 previously). Liking the new Moto X Pure, but also want the i6S Plus. Hopefully the Lumia 950 news will sway me, hoping they bring it to T-Mobile.

Ahmed Blair

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I need apps in order to continue to support the platform.

Making it easy for companies to port apps isn't going far enough. They still have to provide incentive to companies to port those apps and, so far, Microsoft hasn't communicated a clear strategy to the general public to make this happen. I think Microsoft should start paying developers monthly to port AND support apps as incentive to jump start the process and they should have started doing it MONTHS ago. The porting tools should have been finished MONTHS ago so that they could launch their new platform with a decent and building app catalog. As it stands today, they are launching with an app catalog on life support and tepid to no buzz among consumers.

Also, I believe the " no flagship phone" is a non-issue. Doesn't matter what your pushing. If I can't do my banking on your platform, I won't use your platform. It really is that simple.

So, bottom line, Microsoft needs to do a better job at pushing their platform through monetary incentives and then effectively communicating that those incentives are available to companies with an app presence on other platforms.

iainberryman

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Having been on Windows Phone since the HTC HD7, the I got the Lumia 800, then 900, then 920, then 1520, then 930 and now I have the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ and I love it. I will always be a huge Windows fan but my god the S6 Edge+ is a piece of art! The camera is much better than on my old 930 and 1520. Android is actually very good (I last used it when it was ICS), the improvements and featurescput it a million miles ahead of Windows 10. It's not just the extra apps Android have, it's the far superior quality of apps. WhatsApp, Barlcays, EVEYRTHING is just better made. Sorry, I will always stand up for and love Windows but Samsung won with the hardware and Android is still winning with the software. Don't go mad at me, it's just my personal opinion and I'm sure there are many people who do agree, as much as it hurts them to.

Jeice

Sep 15, 2015
Visit site
If I had 800 euro's to splash out, I would go for the new iPhone.
The thing is, I'm currently not able to spend that amount of money for a phone. My budget is very limited, so I'm forced to go for a Windows Phone or an Android phone. Out of the two options it is very easy what to buy. My experience with Android is horrible, to say the least. Google wants to force me to use all it's ****ty services, and it doesn't allow me to get rid of the bloatware it puts on it. My experience with Windows Phone has been pretty great, of course I'm missing an app or two, but it is hardly a problem.

I'm happy getting a Windows Phone/Mobile, Android is no option.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I have been with Microsoft from 2006 Windows Mobile 6.0/6.1 on my Moto Q9c then WM6.5 / WP7 Tango on my LG IQ then WP8 / WP8.1 on ATIV S and now time to move on to Win10 mobile YES! Down with icrap & Android .....time for Windows 10 take over!

gyk

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I doubt that I'll choose wp as the next phone. I do like the interface and even can live (to some degree) with a limited set of apps. However, I don't lik ethe fact that most of the apps I bought currently function in add-supported mode (MetroMail, Calculator2 just to name a few). The licensing code is broken for long time, fixed in Sep 2014 and broken in by Denim again. I don't see a point to have a phone without ability to purchase reliably from the even limited set of available apps. Not sure how MS hopes to increase customer base without addressing this type of problems. Another annoyance for me is still existing 25-contact limit in groups - quite a stupid design decision not addressed for long time.

Ali Tayari

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Ahoy everyone

I was introduced to WP throughout a hackathons around the time of WP 7.5. It had been a while since my previous windows experience was Xperia X1 and I had mixed feeling. However with WP I saw the new beginning and great potential ahead of it.
Since then, sure, there were hic-cups and possibly there are some compared to other giants in the field, but with recent changes Microsoft has stepped up the game. My last 2 experiences with Microsoft (Lumia) devices were 920 and 640 XL and I must say I am quite happy. The first was good in every aspect at cost of being heavy. The latter has been more refreshed experience since 920, bigger and lighter. However with the whole storm of Lumias releasing WP was turning into "that os that comes with lumias" in people's eyes around me and in turn causing confusion when purchasing phone.
Since they have re-focused their efforts and went for less but more solid choices (still covering different tastes), I believe it's just like the time 920 was introduced and you had clear choices to get and knew they would be worth it.
Following the release of new devices, I could optimistically say that it would be quite likely for me to go for another Microsoft Device as Lumias have proven to be solid and haven't personally been introduced to a better alternative yet.

tl;dr Microsoft had hiccups with too many lumias along the road but the air feels just like the time before 920's release and I see myself going for another Microsoft device again.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
For those people complaining about the Apps not being available, I completely understand the logic for an Android or iOS device. However, there is a substantial population out there that cannot afford an iOS device nor can they afford the shiny new toys from Samsung, LG etc. For these people the cheaper devices from China - specifically Xiaomi are great. Also in the lower end hardware category the Lumia's are an excellent buy. I completely understand the frustration of people who bought a 930 or who will say no to buying a 950 because for that price an iPhone is surely a better bet with all the Apps available but in the sub $200 category I don't think the price to performance ratio of a Lumia can be beat.

And in the USA on the pre-paid bandwagon the Lumia 640 is a phenomenal buy.

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm really torn at the price of the 950 that leaked it would be like 900 or so CAD and I cant spend that much I'd honestly prefer to buy a galaxy s6 at that price or just get a 640(or a working 830) for cheaper it's a matter of price for me as I've only ever had windows phones and I only run into a few instances where I dont have an app I need(plus side loading apps makes windows phone perfect for me now) so idk I like the 950 but I need to see how much it costs in Canada to decide fully

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss