Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I meant - because it'll run Intel, i'll have a full PC in my pocket. And I just love this idea.
I also think Intel processors are better then the others.

From what I've seen their mobile processors(for tablets and phones) suck. I'm not an expert on computer architecture but I feel a 2.2ghz quad core mobile processor wont be anyway as powerful as a desktop one(correct me if I'm wrong) so wouldn't running desktop apps be painfully slow? But I mean if I'm wrong here then I fully see the benefits but idk doesn't seem like we're close to this dream yet :/

izik770

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
From what I've seen their mobile processors(for tablets and phones) suck. I'm not an expert on computer architecture but I feel a 2.2ghz quad core mobile processor wont be anyway as powerful as a desktop one(correct me if I'm wrong) so wouldn't running desktop apps be painfully slow? But I mean if I'm wrong here then I fully see the benefits but idk doesn't seem like we're close to this dream yet :/

I think Intel x series is way better then old atom series, from what I've seen on tablets only, Intel running much smoother then others. also i believe
a smartphone with intel, will run a full windows 10 version, so i will be able to run any desktop apps as well.

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I think Intel x series is way better then old atom series, from what I've seen on tablets only, Intel running much smoother then others. also i believe
a smartphone with intel, will run a full windows 10 version, so i will be able to run any desktop apps as well.

Yeah I mean just plug it to a monitor running the full version of windows 10 would and the ability to go would be nice but idk I dont think the technology is there yet but lol who knows what Microsoft and Intel have hidden and will show us next year but how it stands now idk maybe I just haven't seen enough but doesn't seem ready or close to ready but I do hope they blow me away with something.

izik770

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I mean just plug it to a monitor running the full version of windows 10 would and the ability to go would be nice but idk I dont think the technology is there yet but lol who knows what Microsoft and Intel have hidden and will show us next year but how it stands now idk maybe I just haven't seen enough but doesn't seem ready or close to ready but I do hope they blow me away with something.
I hope both companies have hidden some huge surprises for us. As you saying: will just wait and see.

chefster74

May 31, 2013
Visit site
My answer is YES! I got my 928 right after release. I had 3 Thunderbolts and 3 of the next model. They all were buggy or worse. Lately my 928 has been having some issues and I had to be proactive about having a working phone. Since the big V currently only has the 735 and no indication of getting the 950's, I got another 928 from Newegg. I'm setting it up today and already put Dev preview 8.1 on it. I know there's not much love for windows phones, but I don't like android or ifruits. FYI:I'm no ******, hell, I'm 60!

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
LONG LONG time Windows "Mobile" User since PocketPC. I had to make the painful and tough move to Android this past week when it looked hopeless for Lumia on Verizon and currently adjusting to a Note 5. I have to say, this phone is a beast. And works rather well with the Microsoft Ecosystem and Cortana, believe it or not. And yes, the APPS do matter. Once you feel "warm and fuzzy" that you can now get that app you've been lacking, it is hard to go back. Believe me, no one wants WP to succeed more than myself but the time is now for a change. I do prefer having it all in the Windows Ecosystem and love Live Tiles and the OS. If things improve, I WILL be back. Especially if I can get a 950xl.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
LONG LONG time Windows "Mobile" User since PocketPC. I had to make the painful and tough move to Android this past week when it looked hopeless for Lumia on Verizon and currently adjusting to a Note 5. I have to say, this phone is a beast. And works rather well with the Microsoft Ecosystem and Cortana, believe it or not. And yes, the APPS do matter. Once you feel "warm and fuzzy" that you can now get that app you've been lacking, it is hard to go back. Believe me, no one wants WP to succeed more than myself but the time is now for a change. I do prefer having it all in the Windows Ecosystem and love Live Tiles and the OS. If things improve, I WILL be back. Especially if I can get a 950xl.

Read this dude's post Microsoft. It's the same set of reasons why I would be likely to leave WP this holiday season. I'm waiting for reviews of 950XL, but I'm looking quite hard at Android (LG V10, Moto X Pure, Nexus 6P and Edge Plus). You've never had a prob with hardware. Despite what I consider a superior UI, it's the lack of software that continues to make this a decision difficult.

etc6849

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I'll probably never buy a MS mobile phone. MS just missed the boat, and to make matters worse there are some awesome wearables like the new Moto 360 that work on Android and iOS, but not WP. I'd probably buy a WP if there was a nice wearable, just to try it out.

Vyenkatesh

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Most probably I will not buy Microsoft Mobile phone again, after worst support experience of my life. Received replacement phone after 60 days and that too carrier locked. Whatever could be the reason, Microsoft is slow and in dilemma. At least I feel. Microsoft may release statements about bright future, Universal OS but if there is no response to Windows Mobile OS then what's the use of Universal OS.

Last edited:

etc6849

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
The only use for the Universal OS is to get developers seriously interested in the platform. I've been playing around with the Cortana API and it's fabulous. Cortana might sway me, but I still need a nice looking wearable to use it with. The MS Band thing is ugly.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm in a similar boat to garak0410. Long time supporter, love certain things about the OS and Microsoft's approach to the OS conceptually, but I just placed an order for a Note 5 on Verizon after using a Lumia 928 for 30 months.

I know that, with Android, I'm getting a mobile-focused OS that just continues to improve. I know that I'm not going to be disappointed by Google's inability to execute, or their rebooting the OS. I know that I won't have to worry about apps. I know that I won't be left without your services that work well and I still use.

Most importantly, I know that all of this exists today. I know that I can buy the Note 5, and it will be at my door on Wednesday. I still would have given this certainty up for the promise of greatness from W10 Mobile and the 950 XL (great hardware btw), but you're again behind schedule on both counts. You're not communicating effectively. You're just not making it easy to be a fan.

What else did you expect me to do?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
So, I'm in a similar boat to garak0410. Long time supporter, love certain things about the OS and Microsoft's approach to the OS conceptually, but I just placed an order for a Note 5 on Verizon after using a Lumia 928 for 30 months.

I know that, with Android, I'm getting a mobile-focused OS that just continues to improve. I know that I'm not going to be disappointed by Google's inability to execute, or their rebooting the OS. I know that I won't have to worry about apps. I know that I won't be left without your services that work well and I still use.

Most importantly, I know that all of this exists today. I know that I can buy the Note 5, and it will be at my door on Wednesday. I still would have given this certainty up for the promise of greatness from W10 Mobile and the 950 XL (great hardware btw), but you're again behind schedule on both counts. You're not communicating effectively. You're just not making it easy to be a fan.

What else did you expect me to do?

I hear ya. And as mentioned, the Microsoft ecosystem works rather well on Android. Outlook is a great client but it doesn't sync contacts/calendar into the Android OS... You still get calendar reminders and Cortana will SHOW you(but not TELL you) your upcoming schedule. For SMS, you simply must export your contacts into GMAIL and then from then on out, use GMAIL for contacts. And yes, Cortana is almost as close as it was on WP...was surprised. She just doesn't say what is on your agenda if you ASK her.

I do have to say I've encountered "Android Quirks" already... one time, the camera wouldn't record video... had an error and had to reboot. And the mic stopped working on voice to text and come to find out, it was Hey Cortana messing that up. Turned it off and it worked. Not that a WP didn't have quirks but it rarely had them. But on a whole and outside the way the OS works, OMG, the Note 5 does a lot. So much in fact, that I've had to pick up my Surface Pro 3 less and less. But don't get me wrong, I'll always have my Surface and PC. I just find mobile so much easier (at the moment) with the Note 5.

I do vacillate between toughing it out with my ICON until the dust settles or being in the NOW with the Note 5, even if the OS is less than elegant. I will gladly live with the less apps if I can use a 950xl on Verizon.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I hear ya. And as mentioned, the Microsoft ecosystem works rather well on Android. Outlook is a great client but it doesn't sync contacts/calendar into the Android OS... You still get calendar reminders and Cortana will SHOW you(but not TELL you) your upcoming schedule. For SMS, you simply must export your contacts into GMAIL and then from then on out, use GMAIL for contacts. And yes, Cortana is almost as close as it was on WP...was surprised. She just doesn't say what is on your agenda if you ASK her.

I do have to say I've encountered "Android Quirks" already... one time, the camera wouldn't record video... had an error and had to reboot. And the mic stopped working on voice to text and come to find out, it was Hey Cortana messing that up. Turned it off and it worked. Not that a WP didn't have quirks but it rarely had them. But on a whole and outside the way the OS works, OMG, the Note 5 does a lot. So much in fact, that I've had to pick up my Surface Pro 3 less and less. But don't get me wrong, I'll always have my Surface and PC. I just find mobile so much easier (at the moment) with the Note 5.

I do vacillate between toughing it out with my ICON until the dust settles or being in the NOW with the Note 5, even if the OS is less than elegant. I will gladly live with the less apps if I can use a 950xl on Verizon.

Yeah. I mean don't get my wrong, I'm not exactly jumping ship here; I just don't have a lot of choices. If the 950XL were available on Verizon, I'd have bought that in a heartbeat instead. But I'm well overdue for an upgrade, and I just want Microsoft to understand that they are at times making it hard for dedicated fans. You expect users not committed to the platform or on the fence to frequently choose competing platforms, but to drive away your loyal fans...

And I still like the Windows Mobile OS more than Android. I've played with the Note 4 enough to know what I'm getting into, and I feel like Microsoft has more little OS level features that improve usability. W10 Mobile is also a nicer looking OS in my opinion. Android looks a little too colorful/cartoonish, and is a little bit more boring for my tastes. My brother's Note 4 does have quirks sometimes and he has to reboot to fix them. My dad's 2013 Moto X runs flawlessly though, so it has more to do with Samsung's implementation than Android itself.

That is part of the deal with Android still, but the situation is a lot better than it used to be. And it's continuing to improve, with Android nearing iOS levels of polish. The Note 5's camera is also so good that you can't really call the camera much of a differentiating factor for the average user, though the 950XL with its very intelligent software probably still takes the number 1 spot. And I will absolutely enjoy that stylus I believe, as I have actual uses for it.

So I wait Microsoft. I'll watch and see how your OS is doing, looking for a time to eventually return. However, for now, you've driven me away and there is no remedying that.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Yeah. I mean don't get my wrong, I'm not exactly jumping ship here; I just don't have a lot of choices. If the 950XL were available on Verizon, I'd have bought that in a heartbeat instead. But I'm well overdue for an upgrade, and I just want Microsoft to understand that they are at times making it hard for dedicated fans. You expect users not committed to the platform or on the fence to frequently choose competing platforms, but to drive away your loyal fans...

And I still like the Windows Mobile OS more than Android. I've played with the Note 4 enough to know what I'm getting into, and I feel like Microsoft has more little OS level features that improve usability. W10 Mobile is also a nicer looking OS in my opinion. Android looks a little too colorful/cartoonish, and is a little bit more boring for my tastes. My brother's Note 4 does have quirks sometimes and he has to reboot to fix them. My dad's 2013 Moto X runs flawlessly though, so it has more to do with Samsung's implementation than Android itself.

That is part of the deal with Android still, but the situation is a lot better than it used to be. And it's continuing to improve, with Android nearing iOS levels of polish. The Note 5's camera is also so good that you can't really call the camera much of a differentiating factor for the average user, though the 950XL with its very intelligent software probably still takes the number 1 spot. And I will absolutely enjoy that stylus I believe, as I have actual uses for it.

So I wait Microsoft. I'll watch and see how your OS is doing, looking for a time to eventually return. However, for now, you've driven me away and there is no remedying that.

I do have choices...I can still use my ICON for a while. But having extra apps, especially ones for work and 1 or 2 that friends/family want me to be on, well, it has been hard to go back to it. I can't decide which camera is better... the ICON or Note 5. I did take this nice one on my Note 5 of raindrops on a leaf and it impresses:

20151024_163239.jpg

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I really like my Icon and Windows phone, but it keeps getting harder to find a really good reason to stick around with a troubled ecosystem. There are apps I want that are available on Android and iOS, but not for WP. I see articles about the app situation getting worse: ?Microsoft's apps are evaporating.? The releases of Windows 10 mobile so far have been buggy. With less than 3% of the market, MS has been shrinking its phone division and is putting the new flagship phones only on AT&T for the foreseeable future. It feels more and more as if I'm riding on a sinking ship when there are pretty cool options out there.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I really like my Icon and Windows phone, but it keeps getting harder to find a really good reason to stick around with a troubled ecosystem. There are apps I want that are available on Android and iOS, but not for WP. I see articles about the app situation getting worse: ?Microsoft's apps are evaporating.? The releases of Windows 10 mobile so far have been buggy. With less than 3% of the market, MS has been shrinking its phone division and is putting the new flagship phones only on AT&T for the foreseeable future. It feels more and more as if I'm riding on a sinking ship when there are pretty cool options out there.

Yeah, there have been a lot of doom and gloom Windows Phone articles in the last week alone. Not sure is this is the moment where we says "it's gonna get worse before it gets better."

And I agonize over using Note 5 vs. ICON. If Groove music was on par on Android, this wouldn't be a hard decision. I'd stick it out with the Note 5. But the more I uae Groove on Android, the more half-baked it feels and how it reminds me of the early days of XBOX music.

If it is announced this week the 950xl would indeed work on Verizon, I'd be pre ordering it right away. I want that camera. !!!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss