Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

KylePrince3

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Probably not... I'm already regretting getting my 950 just two months in and wishing I had a Nexus 5x instead. Unless they totally turn the OS around by the time I'm up for an upgrade, I'm probably going to Android. I don't even need all the app compatibility, I just want a consistent OS that finally feels complete and at least some of the basic apps regularly updated (Spotify, Instagram BETA, etc). I can't believe Microsoft is even getting away with selling a $550-$600 phone that's incomplete, both in the OS and physical build of the phone. I used to love the idea of WM, but now it's really getting old that one of the worlds biggest corporations can't even push out a mobile OS in a decent amount of time for users that have been loyal and purchased their expensive phones.

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Yes, in fact about to ditch Android and iOS again for another Windows phone, I miss the live tiles, pin to start, black backgrounds, the whole ui, apps like navicomputer for easy gps maps offline, better app integration with the superb fitbit app and live tiles, miles better mail and calendar especially on Windows 10, I got used to Microsoft maps, one drive etc, I know these can all be utilised on Android and ios, but I prefer the way it all works on Windows phone. I prefer to be jumping onto a sinking ship than off it, hate being the same as everyone else.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Till they make awesome wm10 phones i will be buying them..i don't understand y u people take market share of u.s.. When windows mobile 10 is around 10% in europe and other countries....

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I said yes earlier in this thread, but as of now, I don't know. I'm going to do an Android trial and then we will see from there. I'll come back with a new response or a revised one.

microsoft111

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Totally! I loved my Lumia 1020 so sad when I broke it. Now using 950 from AT&T. I love it! So glad a I can change batteries again!

I was really looking forward to getting both Android & iOS games ported via Project Astoria & Islandwood because I was hoping that the each would go to the backend server for each respective platforms. It would also be nice because sometimes a product will only have app for one platform but not the other. What would be really cool would be if Microsoft could work with developers to allow them to do the beginning port on request for an app and charge the user. That way the developers could see how much their app is being downloaded and decide to take over themselves and do updates for new features and bug fixes and take over.

That being said the only app I'm waiting on is Bank of America's Windows 10 phone app. I had it on Lumia 1020 and it was wonderful.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I would buy another windows phone.

Simple, a static grid of icons is just boring.... when you've used phones going back to old brick phones where navigation was through joystick of sorts through a grey scale app list (static icons) where you could compose monotone ringtones (which was your only option for customization). The tiles are a refreshing to look at, I can arrange them how I want etc.

That's what works for me, for others obviously not.

Use what works best for you, a phone platform / ecosystem is not a cult.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I have to admit that I am partly with Windows Phone because of the good specs vs price ratio I have gotten out of my two Windows Phones (ie the Lumia 521 & current Lumia 640).

At this price point I can "get by" with the poor app selection for the moment because I do like the OS, although this could get to me eventually if this doesn't improve with UWP.

Also, if Microsoft only do Surface phones in future, and OEM low to mid tier phones (similar to the 640) dry up then I will be forced to exit Windows Phone anyway.

KylePrince3

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Also, if Microsoft only do Surface phones in future, and OEM low to mid tier phones (similar to the 640) dry up then I will be forced to exit Windows Phone anyway.

This range of phones has always been Microsoft's greatest share of the Windows Mobile market, so it will probably be the last thing they give up. At least internationally, phones like the 5xx and 6xx have done very well.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Not likely.

I'd been waiting forever for a Windows Phone that had a stunning camera, great screen, high-end specs/performance, great battery life, a normal (non-phablet) size without sacrificing expandable storage... and Lumia 950 brought it all to the table in a way that leaves little for me to complain about. In fact my only complaint is one I have had about all Windows Phones (except the YEZZ Billy 4.7) - it's really thick.

It could happen if the rumored Surface Phone just really one ups it in every regard, but my search for an all-around satisfying Windows Phone is over.

Last edited:

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
This range of phones has always been Microsoft's greatest share of the Windows Mobile market, so it will probably be the last thing they give up. At least internationally, phones like the 5xx and 6xx have done very well.
I wouldn't be so sure. If they are indeed giving up the Lumia name and just going with Surface from this point on, I can't see them creating yet another low to mid tier brand. It would make far more sense just to leave this to the OEMs at this point. Introducing yet another Windows Mobile brand would just serve to muddy the waters even further in my opinion.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
At $29.99 at Best Buy I couldn't resist buying a Lumia 640, and with a $20 reward certificate I paid $9.99 plus tax. Can't beat that deal for a decent smartphone! For over a month now I have been trying Android on a Moto E I also got on a Best Buy sale and I recently returned to using my Lumia 635 since Windows phone is a much better experience for me. Some things are very nice on the Android side--mainly the many free and often good Google services and apps and how they work very well together. But, day-to-day ease of use is definitely lacking in Android. For example, just answering a phone call is problematic--which way do you swipe? It is annoying how certain apps are not removeable, and how you are limited in the screen layouts you can do, at least with stock Lollipop. Lack of security and updates is troubling. The stock keyboard is far inferior to the stock Windows Phone keyboard. The camera is lousy. Yes, I know I could buy an expensive Android phone and eliminate some of these issues, but why pay a lot more than you have to? But, the biggest surprise for me were the apps. Yes, there are many more, and lots of niche ones for things that are nice to have, but the main ones I use multiple times each day were just not to my liking (email, phone, contacts, messaging, photos, camera, twitter, and even the news apps), and some of them have better versions on Windows Phone. There are some apps that are better on Android, but for me I didn't find the app experience to be vastly superior compared to the Windows side.

SirNic

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Never!
Had a Windows Samsung ATIV on PAYG now changed to a Samsung Edge 6 Plus on Android, the Windows mobile had too many limitations, cannot play videos from many websites, lack of Apps, sluggish compared with Android, don't know why I put up with Windows so long, have a Windows Samsung Ativ tablet too, and my cheaper Samsung Android tablet is better in everyway, Samsung Ativ tablet runs some Windows RT trash which seems primitive. :eek:rly:

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
cannot play videos from many websites

Tell me about it man.... I cannot even play MKV with AC3 audio well on a 1520 running W10M latest build on almost every player I have tried. Put the same video file onto my old HTC M7 and it played flawlessly!

No way I will get another windows phone ever again!

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I switched to a WileyFox Swift the recently as a stop gap until the rumored 'Surface Phone' arrives. I didn't want to spend too much on a premium phone like the 950 if a 'Surface Phone' is in the pipeline this winter. I wanted a mid-range phone as I wasn't going to settle for a 550. The Lumia 650 was interesting but for the price it was low spec. On whim I bought the WileyFox Swift especially for its Dual SIM feature and the good reviews.

So far I have been floored by the Cyanogen OS 12 (Android 5.1.1) and the phone. When people talk about the app-gap I now know what they mean. Never underestimate a fully stoked app store. Its not just the apps but also the quality of apps on the Google Play store. The same apps I used on WP are immensely better on Android. To add insult to injury Microsoft apps are way better on Android than on WP. I hope to return to the platform when a new flagship W10 phone is announced but the experience on Android is so much better I'm beginning to doubt if I ever will. Besides with tight integration with Microsoft services, Cyanogen OS maybe the best place to be.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
No way I will get another windows phone ever again!

I hope to return to the platform when a new flagship W10 phone is announced but the experience on Android is so much better I'm beginning to doubt if I ever will.

I'm not the kind to say "never". Back in 2010 I was using WM6.1 on Verizon. I was anxiously waiting for the incoming WP7. It finally arrived... on AT&T. Of course, hindsight is better than foresight, but I thought I'd wait a bit until I could get a WP device on Verizon. After awhile, due to the necessity of penny pinching I began looking at less costly MVNO options. I ended up going with an Android on Virgin Mobile. Back then, Android was pretty much the only option for smartphones on MVNOs.

In short, now that price is not so important I'm back on Verizon. I've become comfortable with Android, and I have no reason to leave it until I feel that WM fits me better. Currently it does not. But I have zero loyalty to anyone. I will switch to WM or iOS tomorrow in a heartbeat if I feel they'll serve me better. Never say never! I currently use a mixture of all 3 mobile OS's, and it is very cohesive, more than you could imagine until you tried it.

cedarfisher

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
No. I have done the 1020, 1520 and the 2520 tablet and I regret it. For me it all boils down to app selection and the Windows Store selection is crap. I was full of hope when switching from IOS but after a couple of years of trying I went back to the iphone and so glad I did. Maybe someday there will be support for these devices but unless you live in India I doubt it.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not the kind to say "never". Back in 2010 I was using WM6.1 on Verizon.

For myself, "never" is a sure thing. I don't see the benefit of using windows phone from the apps point of view. Icons are static but works perfectly fine for me, while "Live" tiles are not as useful as widgets on Android. I hate seeing all the Resuming and Reloading nonsense on windows phone while I can switch apps in and out on the fly with iOS and Android. Continuum? I have a very fast and light ultrabook which runs x86 / x64 applications very well, no way I will spend money on the expensive dock so that I can run crippled Windows RT apps on a bigger screen.

Too much drawbacks with this platform. So, a "never" is the best word I can find for myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss