Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Thinking about leaving Lumia behind they completely dropped the ball on the designs. All the phones look the sane from the 550 to the 950 no major design difference like the Nokia Lumias.

The new HP elite x3 blows those new Lumia's away

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thinking about leaving Lumia behind they completely dropped the ball on the designs. All the phones look the sane from the 550 to the 950 no major design difference like the Nokia Lumias.

The new HP elite x3 blows those new Lumia's away

Sent from mTalk

Yeah that phone looks like it's going to be epic! I hate that word, but it fits well with that phone.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
For myself, "never" is a sure thing. I don't see the benefit of using windows phone from the apps point of view. Icons are static but works perfectly fine for me, while "Live" tiles are not as useful as widgets on Android. I hate seeing all the Resuming and Reloading nonsense on windows phone while I can switch apps in and out on the fly with iOS and Android. Continuum? I have a very fast and light ultrabook which runs x86 / x64 applications very well, no way I will spend money on the expensive dock so that I can run crippled Windows RT apps on a bigger screen.

Too much drawbacks with this platform. So, a "never" is the best word I can find for myself.

Yes I see what you mean. You're basically saying "never", but with a caveat. I agree with your view of WP's current situation. But yet I won't say "never". I could easily see myself using W10M (or whatever the current iteration will be called) sometime down the road, provided the predictions of the pending utopia come to pass. :amaze:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
After "trying out" Android for a bit, I have to say that I probably wouldn't buy another Microsoft Mobile, unless everything seems to work out. Better, if not more. Funnily enough, on my Android, I have only 2 apps that currently aren't available on WM.

In my experience, I have learned that I probably wouldn't be opposed to using my fav book app on Edge (it's great there, but sucks on ie on 8.1), but the fact that I have to use the lousy Kindle app that is still not updated, sucks. I can't even use the Cloud Reader because it doesn't recognize edge or even ie on wp 8.1. Not having certain apps for me is a major downfall. I'm starting to go off on a tanget, but basically, I wouldn't be opposed to using an alternative (i.e. pin it to the start screen) if said alternative worked for every single one of my apps that are important to me. Unfortunately, that method doesn't work for every app so eh.

However, if the Kindle app is actually updated, MLB At Bat returns and stays there, and some other apps actually create an app for WM and maintain it, I wouldn't mind returning. In short, basically what tgp said, lol.

I still use a WP just as a music player and that has been really nice, especially since TuneIn and iHeartRadio finally decided to update their apps. That combined with Metrotube, makes it great.

Last edited:

Josh Harman

Banned
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, I laid my 950 on my nightstand and bought an iPhone 6.

It wasn't bad and I liked having ALL the apps, but after about a month, it went to the nightstand and I'm using the 950 again. There are several reasons, like live tiles, Cortana integration, etc. ... most all, the camera. Good grief, I thought the camera was supposed to be the major improvement on the iPhone 6? It looks like crap compared to my 950... and my 830... and even my 822. That's sad.

So would I? Yes, and I have.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Running W10 on my new Lumia 640 and not noticing any major bugs or problems, and I have found all the apps I need. A bunch of old ones I had on WP8.1 came right across and work perfectly, if not better on W10. The only glitch, if you call it that, was that I did have to do the hard reset after the initial download and install--that cured some glitches I was seeing. Lots of new features and settings on W10 are quite useful.

cracgor

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Some things are very nice on the Android side--mainly the many free and often good Google services and apps and how they work very well together. But, day-to-day ease of use is definitely lacking in Android. For example, just answering a phone call is problematic--which way do you swipe?

It is annoying how certain apps are not removeable, and how you are limited in the screen layouts you can do, at least with stock Lollipop.

You can't remove stock apps from any phone. Try removing Groove, Edge, etc on Windows Phone. Even when you "uninstall" bloatware, it is still locked away in your phone (try doing a factory reset). Android is just more open about it.

lazybum131

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Gonna be sticking around a bit longer, just bought a used Lumia Icon on ebay. The lack of any decent midrange phones announced at MWC made me pull the trigger. I'm lucky enough to be with Koodo in Canada so LTE will work. At this point the only manufacturer that might release a W10m phone I'm interested in is Blu as their recent Android offerings have been great value. Even then, I doubt any midrange W10m phone would be able to match the Icon for specs (1080p AMOLED, CPU/GPU performance, 2GB ram, 32GB storage, 20MP camera with OIS, Wireless AC, NFC, Qi charging) at $210 CAD I paid with the exception of battery life and possibly Continuum if they can get a SD6xx in there.

Been using a Lumia 920 with W10m as a daily driver, from what I'm reading from other users I hope the much better performance of the Icon will resolve most of the slow-downs/bug-iness. Will also be interesting to see how my Blu Win HD LTE compares whenever W10m is released.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Basically made my decision to move on (sort of) after seeing how MS limited the resources of their latest offerings along with the constant delays, add to this the fact that a hard reset appears to have become a prerequisite with any update just to obtain a reasonable outcome.

The ?app gap? isn?t so much of an issue to me as is the lack of improvements/features compared to their Android/iOS counterparts, one example would be Stocard on Droid, I get point status updates if applicable, latest deals and can back-up my data to the cloud in the event that it needs to be restored, the WM version does none of that. In general the store leaves a lot to be desired on W10M and W10 for PC, still riddled with inconsistencies and quirks which are experienced daily.

So I?ll continue to use my three WMs running W8.1 until the day comes they no longer are up to the task, highly doubt any one of them is going to see the official ?W10M? anytime soon if past history means anything, in the meantime my Droid will fulfill those gaps WM couldn?t and suspect it?ll be for some time to come at the present pace, WM finally evolving that is.

In other words, NOPE, definitely done purchasing any more WMs.

D4X

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Wish I could simply upgrade my lumia 920 with a new cpu screen and most importantly better camera - love its design, the heft. Only downer was the rounded edge screen and its hate of screen protectors =S

If MS ever chucks its WP hat in the ring I will be hard pressed to find something that I like.. even with the many orphaned apps in the ( 8.1 ) store that have gone without updates in forever or trail behind the android and ios versions by a good length in functionality..

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
.. even with the many orphaned apps in the ( 8.1 ) store that have gone without updates in forever or trail behind the android and ios versions by a good length in functionality..

That's one thing that differs between Android and WM, even on an older Droid OS apps are continually being updated/improved whereas where I'm sitting WM8.1 apps are seeing the minimalist of love and its gotten worse.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I would buy another windows mobile. Everything tying together more and more in w10 is cool = less things to manage since it's all one account.

I'm not heavy into apps or games, though I would like to see more multiplayer online turnbased games like pocket tanks, great big war game offer. I need a more relaxed pace of gaming :)

I'm big on picture quality for taking pics of my constant in motion kids. Soon I'll be given my oldest more actual tablet time and looking forward to using the kids management features I see available in the microsoft account settings.

Rhody#WP

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I switched to Android because of the apps, but I ordered a Lumia 950 to switch back. I found that I am not a typical smartphone user. I used to be, but maybe age has turned me into a luddite.

I have a OnePlus One. I loaded it up with apps. I used Android pay. I configured it with widgets and live backgrounds. I installed a different launcher and lock screen app. I synched my contacts with facebook. I did everything with it. But I'm still bored with it. I really never use apps, other than for music and Audible. I use my phone for telephone calls, texting, messaging, email, calendar, photos, etc. I become happier when I simplify my life. I even recently suspended all of my social media accounts. There is no reason I have to pay for things with my phone. I don't need to check my bank accounts, do clothes shopping, monitor my home security system, or control my lawn sprinklers with my phone. I don't really play games on my phone, so I'm not a slave to specs. I'm a basic user, and for my use case, I really prefer the Windows phone.

I got the Lumia 950 because of the nice camera, Cortana integration, built-in wireless charging. Those are the things that matter to me.

Zandur Khan

Feb 15, 2016
Visit site
Yes already did. Had iOS a short period and Android for years. Changed to a Windows 920 in 2012 and now running 950XL. Really liked Android but nothing beats the Windows home screen and the 950XL with a Moxa cover looks amazing and the phone is great.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Just bought a Lumia 950 today. Missed WP a lot and I honestly left because my boy did about a month ago, by leaving our iPhone clique to go with the BlackBerry Priv (Android) device. I thought about that and the classic and realized how much I missed using my 1020, which I finally charged and attempted to use again. I got it without thinking I'd be rocking all the apps that I have on iOS or my Android.

anon9699264

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Nope! As a long term Android user who bought a Blue Win HD LTE to try out, on the promise of WinM 10 6 months ago, still waiting with nothing on the horizon. MS coders are truly hopeless.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I switched to Android because of the apps, but I ordered a Lumia 950 to switch back. I found that I am not a typical smartphone user. I used to be, but maybe age has turned me into a luddite .. I'm a basic user, and for my use case, I really prefer the Windows phone.

"Windows Phone. Your dad will love it."

Then again, I feel the same way. :)

Last edited:

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I would for $29.99 USD
:wink:

ok, i got my last 2 windows phone for about $40, currently they are around $50:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amazon.com: LG Quantum C900 Unlocked Phone with Windows 7, QWERTY Keyboard and 5 MP Camera - Unlocked Phone - US Warranty - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

and some for $30-$40:
--------------------------------
windows phone 7 lg c900 | eBay

the reason i'm sticking with windows phone 7.8, is because it has a hardware keyboard,
and ZUNE integration.

no other phone has those features, and that's why i've had it for the last 4 years.

if my current phone gives out, i'll buy another one if a few years, or stock up now, with another one.

no point in spending more money on phones, that don't have the features i want.

i don't care what new features windows phone 10 has, they aren't worth it to me.

if there is ever a bluetooth case with a keyboard that works, i might consider it.

later

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb