Would you honestly buy another Microsoft Mobile?

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Well...

I was watching a 1020 on Swappa. It was only recently unboxed and tested before being placed for sale. Some jackwad was palavering the seller endlessly in the comments and seemed to have worn him down to $125 without the DT-900 and charging jacket so I just payed the $150 asking price to keep it out of the hands of the long winded Philistine.

Yeah, you have to do what you have to do. $150 for a pristine 1020 isn't a bad price. I'll bet the Philistine is belching smoke by now.

wolfpack219

Dec 11, 2015
Visit site
I ran into this issue today sadly 😢. I was faced with a dying Lumia 735 and Verizon being choice of carrier. For what ever reason my 735 was having connection issues with the network after two years of hard usage. I was in the insider program and enjoyed windows 10 mobile.

I found myself looking at Android again and the Galaxy S7. Android has come a long way in a couple years since I last owned one. Much more responsive now and from what I've read it doesn't slow down as much after usage. Build quality of the phone is as expected, but I really liked the customization on W10M. It's nice to have all the apps again though.

I really liked windows 10 mobile but it certainly had its issues. Always a bug here or there, or required a factory reset after several updates. Then Microsoft announced they are not focusing on mobile phones except for commercial phones. That was it for me. I wanted something that will be focused on. Android though not flawless is my choice as I don't like the IOS interface.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

CompsNewDadio

Oct 24, 2016
Visit site
No. No. No. Sadly.

I've been using WP for best part of 4 years and could have been a reseller with the amount of people I converted from iOS and Droid. However the past 6 months has found me more and more frustrated with WP. Apps such as Paypal, Amazon & eBay vanishing, I see no decent new ones coming WP way and think MS is partly to blame. Apps has ALWAYS been the issue and it will be the death now.

Played with the iPhone 7 earlier today and it was a sad day. Going from W10M to iOS10 felt I was going back in time due to the complete lack of innovation shown with iOS, but there are apps galore for everything.

Despite what MS say publicly, I suspect WM is very low on their list of priorities so lack of budget and direction would also be to blame. Gutted to be bailing out. Goodbye great OS. Goodbye FANTASTIC camera. Hello overpriced 90's UI piece of junk with apps.

anon(9275303)

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Just did. Since I'm on T-Mobile, I ordered the Alcatel Idol 4S for Windows this morning. The only thing holding me back was questions on its camera. The camera samples posted of it in the 4S photos thread satisfied my major concern on that part especially using a third party camera app like ProShot. Had been in contact with PALCO Tech on the cost to replace a bad battery and cracked screen on my 950XL. The nearly $250 quoted cost for repairing the XL pushed me to decide that I would rather apply it to an all new phone. The 550, that I bought last month as a temporary replacement for my 950XL, I will still keep as a backup device. The 550 is a good device, but I wanted a device with better camera.

Sent from mTalk on my Lumia 550

swbf2lord

Nov 13, 2016
Visit site
I just purchased an Elite X3. It's an awesome device, and I've enjoyed it so far. No issues to complain about, except perhaps, the fact that I can't seem to get the battery to die (Kidding).

I had an HTC 8X which I adored. I went back to Android after a while using that phone, before buying a 950 (and the XL) last year. Nothing but problems. Bugs with the OS, battery drain, and overheating issues plagued that smart camera. I returned both within the remorse period.

I don't know that I'll ever not try a Windows phone. I adore the UI and functionality far too much. I also own an iPhone 7, which was my daily driver before the X3, and iOS looks loathsome by comparison. My previous Android, the V20, didn't fare much better.

A part of me wishes the Lumia 950/XL had been better phones. Then again, Alcatel and HP have really surprised me this year.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I tried the X3 at my microsoft store with the continuum dock. Wow it's noticeably faster than when I paired my 950xl to the laptop dock! I thought I was content..... hmmmmmm

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
If I could use my review copy of my 950xl on Verizon, I'd use it, despite the "app gap." If for the camera alone and Microsoft ecosystem. I'm on a Google Pixel and while it is speedy and fast, it is way over-hyped and overrated.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I would if I could, but I can't (Verizon) so I won't.

I do still keep my Icon as a WiFi only device for the camera, my running tracker (GPS still works), and as a general reminder of how good the UI really is. It makes IOS feel like XP, and Android as Vista.

FXi2

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
If the X3, 950XL and 950 had come to VZ I'd be quite a bit poorer now :) Next year should be interesting! MS phones (and now HP) have got to be better than paying $900 for a phone and then charged $169 to fix an engineering mistake. So yes I'll stick with the Win Mobile tree thank you. Though I think HP is on my shortlist too, assuming they eventually make the leap over to VZ.

Danobe

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
Fingerprint scanners are useless. I had one on the Redmi note 3 and gosh i hated it. Stick to Windows Hello.

Depends on how it's implemented. I have one on my W530 (Thinkpad) and it is horrible to the extent that I don't use it. However, the one on my Yoga 260 (also Thinkpad) is absolutely great - I use it all the time.

I haven't tried any on a phone, though, but after my experience with my new 260, I'm inclined to get a phone with a reader when my 950 is ripe for an upgrade.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Depends on how it's implemented. I have one on my W530 (Thinkpad) and it is horrible to the extent that I don't use it. However, the one on my Yoga 260 (also Thinkpad) is absolutely great - I use it all the time.

I haven't tried any on a phone, though, but after my experience with my new 260, I'm inclined to get a phone with a reader when my 950 is ripe for an upgrade.
Yep, I've tried it on both an iPhone 5s and Nexus 5X and it is perfect, especially when taking it out of my pocket. It can be ready to go before the moment my eyes see the screen!

Ronzil

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, interested in the HP Elite X3 and if you are using one what is your experience and would you recommend it at this point in time?

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
To answer the OP, no. I am an avid Microsoft user however, it came to a point where I could not do my job anymore due to the lack of apps unavailable on Windows. So I made the switch to Android. I'll describe Android in one word: WOW. Coming from Windows Phones for almost six years, Android is light years ahead of Windows Mobile.

Take away the apps, Android Lollipop is a very smooth, responsive, battery conserving and user friendly operating system. My 2011 Lexus ES350 doesn't fully support it, but having Android Auto working partially is superb. Just saying OK Google, it responds accurately and works without any issues. My Blu Life XL with 2 GB RAM, & 16 GB ROM runs circles around my Lumia 640 XL in every category except for camera & lack of glance screen. It is incredibly fast; almost as fast as my wife's iPhone 6s plus.

I bought my Blu Life XL just to try out Android and I'm sold. I'll never buy another Windows Phone again. I'll still use Windows tablets and use Microsoft services like Office365, Xbox, Outlook, OneDrive and Groove music, but only on Android. Google Maps is superior to Windows Maps in every way; bottom line, Microsoft's retrenchment plan is causing them to lose out on their die hard users and advocates. Three years ago I would highly recommend Windows Phone. Not any more today.

Last edited:

Cabo Blue

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Right now, I'll say no.
I own an SP2, an RT, a 640, 640XL, a 950, a 1520, and an i5SE.
Only my i5SE is an active phone.
The rest : 640, 640XL, 950 & 1520 I use on Wi-Fi to test their systems an w10m.
In a relative post elsewhere, I pointed out that my RT experience seems much more fluid in operating than either 640.
The 1520 tends to be the better performer; with the 950 a very close 2'nd to it.
My SP2 & my i5SE do the best for what I use them for.
My only disappointment is that the MS OS lacks the quickness and fluidity I enjoy and come to expect.
The apps aren't that much of an issue for me.

If, and or when, MS every does make a comparable phone to my SP2 & i5SE experience, it will only be then that I reconsider.

In the short term I will eventually sell off my Lumias.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm using BlackBerry Z10 yet... with a hope to hear something about Surface Phone, since I like to use only top devices and don't like to change phone every year.

BlackBerry died for me after switching to Android. So, I'll wait for Surface, and, if there will be no rumors about it in nearest future, I'll grab 950XL.

Also, bought 640 for my mom and her mom... they are happy.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
Right now, I'll say no.
I own an SP2, an RT, a 640, 640XL, a 950, a 1520, and an i5SE.
Only my i5SE is an active phone.
The rest : 640, 640XL, 950 & 1520 I use on Wi-Fi to test their systems an w10m.
In a relative post elsewhere, I pointed out that my RT experience seems much more fluid in operating than either 640.
The 1520 tends to be the better performer; with the 950 a very close 2'nd to it.
My SP2 & my i5SE do the best for what I use them for.
My only disappointment is that the MS OS lacks the quickness and fluidity I enjoy and come to expect.
The apps aren't that much of an issue for me.

If, and or when, MS every does make a comparable phone to my SP2 & i5SE experience, it will only be then that I reconsider.

In the short term I will eventually sell off my Lumias.
TBH, I didn't get what SP2 is :eek:rly:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett