Microsoft abandoning tmobile? Just a thought

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I would only get a T-Mo branded phone if there was a CV ROM available for that model just in case they decided again to stop supporting the phone. I did get a 640 as a backup and I immediately flashed the LTA CV because I have no need for Wi-Fi calling, and just to be future proof so to speak.
What's the mechanism you used to flash it and where did you get the file? Do you think the method is something likely to remain usable going forward?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The 925 was not a flagship device, limited onboard memory, and no wireless charging built in. It had nothing on the 920 or the 928. It was a mid-tier phone and sold such as.

the last flagship Windows phone was the HTC HD7 and Dell Venue Pro back in 2010

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
The 925 was not a flagship device, limited onboard memory, and no wireless charging built in. It had nothing on the 920 or the 928. It was a mid-tier phone and sold such as.

It was the "flagship" phone of the midlevel phones :p

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

the last flagship Windows phone was the HTC HD7 and Dell Venue Pro back in 2010

The 925 lacking wielesss charging doesn't make it any less of a flagship than other phones at that time that lacked wireless charging.

The 925 only having 16 GB onboard storage with no memory card doesn't make it less of a flagship than other android and iPhones with limited memory.

A dell venue pro? Please. Even Kim sold more and longer than that.

An sd card slot doesn't define a phone to.be a flagship nor does it define it by SD card slot

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
The 925 lacking wielesss charging doesn't make it any less of a flagship than other phones at that time that lacked wireless charging.

The 925 only having 16 GB onboard storage with no memory card doesn't make it less of a flagship than other android and iPhones with limited memory.

A dell venue pro? Please. Even Kim sold more and longer than that.

An sd card slot doesn't define a phone to.be a flagship nor does it define it by SD card slot
I disagree, and it does make it a non-flagship phone. When other devices do have a feature (I am not talking about android or iPhone) rather other Windows phones, and this phone doesn't. It makes it a lesser device. The 920 when launched was a superior device. It has more features than the 925. In every generation of devices, the phone with the most features, and best specs will be the flagship. All Windows phone 7 launch devices were flagship Windows devices and showed the versatility of the platform. So yes the Dell venue pro was a Windows phone 7 flagship (2010)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I disagree, and it does make it a non-flagship phone. When other devices do have a feature (I am not talking about android or iPhone) rather other Windows phones, and this phone doesn't. It makes it a lesser device. The 920 when launched was a superior device. It has more features than the 925. In every generation of devices, the phone with the most features, and best specs will be the flagship. All Windows phone 7 launch devices were flagship Windows devices and showed the versatility of the platform. So yes the Dell venue pro was a Windows phone 7 flagship (2010)

The only thing the 925 lacked over the 920 was the storage(16 GB less) and wireless charging. Those two features did not make it any less of a flagship considering the fact that most people acknowledge the 925 to be the better design(and more premium) of the two devices. I believe Daniel Rubino even said they need to make another 925 model for Windows 10...not a 920.

The 925 also had 6 lenses to the 920s 5......doesn't make the 920 any less of a device because its camera wasn't 100 percent identical the 920s.

You have to also realize that when the 920 came out...it wasn't meant to be the flagship since it was essentially a repackaged Lumia 920. Apple did the same exact thing with the IPhone 5C which is essentially the IPhone 5 with a different look.

The actual flagship at the time of the 925's release WAS the 1020....the 920 was old news and the 925 was a REFRESH to the 920 to continue that line of products. If you want to be technical, the 925 I guess was also a flagship as well because the 1020 and 925 were essentially the same exact phones aside from the camera anyway.

Then came the 1520 in November.

So Generation 1 of the Windows Phone 8 era....showcased the 920.

Generation 2 of the windows Phone 8 era....showcased the 1020 and 925

and Generation 3(3.5)- Then found us with the 1520 and 930/Icon

Each generation showcased the best Lumia phones at the time.

You really can't compare a Windows Phone 7 era to the WIndows Phone 8 era considering EVERY...single...Windows phone was exactly the same. There was no versatility. Same exact specs basically. Same restrictions. It's really no wonder that WP7 didn't do well. The only unique Windows phone 7 device that truly stood out was the 800, 900 since they were nokia's first and the dell venue pro only because it was the only windows phone ever with that design.

WP8 showcased different featuresets...be it HTC's 8X with their beats(and later their repackaged Android phones) for the music people

Samsung's ATIV line for the media savvy people with the Amoled Screens

And the many variations of Lumias....the first phablet(1520), Industry leading Camera(1020), and then the hero of the platform(520) which also introduced many of the budget handsets we've seen today that have kept the platform afloat and relevant to an extent.

gavino96

Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Microsoft announced awhile back something along the lines of reconsidering their relationships with various carriers. It makes sense because why waste time and manpower for a phone especially an exclusive with a carrier who isn't going to push your product vs focusing on one that will.

And therein lies the problem. Those carriers with exclusive models have been AT&T and Verizon. Whenever T-Mobile sold a WP, it was just an iteration of an exclusive model to AT&T or Verizon. Those phones did not sell well at AT&T or Verizon. Given that T-Mobile has gained a huge momentum in adding subscribers, it would be very foolhardy for MS to abandon T-Mobile. MS has forgotten that Google Android's rise to popularity did not begin with AT&T or with Verizon. It began with then #4 carrier T-Mobile with their HTC G1. MS needs to woo T-Mobile because of that and the fact that they are still adding more subscribers than any other carrier. (That's a statistical fact, everyone, so please don't hate. I do have T-Mobile and they don't have the widest coverage like AT&T and Verizon do. But they offer the best plans to date and that's what is appealing to all wireless customers. Plus, remember, UNLIMITED DATA OPTION.)

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
MS has forgotten that Google Android's rise to popularity did not begin with AT&T or with Verizon. It began with then #4 carrier T-Mobile with their HTC G1.

We are in a different era now. True touchscreen smartphones were fledgling back then, and the market was wide open. That market has now matured. We will need a new paradigm for this to repeat. Is Microsoft offering that new paradigm?

Kar98

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I would only get a T-Mo branded phone if there was a CV ROM available for that model just in case they decided again to stop supporting the phone. I did get a 640 as a backup and I immediately flashed the LTA CV because I have no need for Wi-Fi calling, and just to be future proof so to speak.

Not sure if you succeeded. My 1320 came with a LTA CV ROM, and I'm still on Cyan. Wouldn't even have Cortana without the Developer Preview.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if you succeeded. My 1320 came with a LTA CV ROM, and I'm still on Cyan. Wouldn't even have Cortana without the Developer Preview.
The 640 launched with Denim. You should consider flashing to a different CV that has Denim available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)