The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
    OK, so I am very conflicted on what to do... I am with Sprint, and have been for almost 15 years... cellular service is near perfect where I live in the metro DC area. I need the advice of some of you grizzled Windows Phone veterans.

I have been eyeballing Windows Phone for nearly 3 years, but have never pulled the trigger because of Sprint's poor selection to choose from.

Currently, I have an iPhone 5s... somewhat bored with it to be honest. Recently, Sprint announced the iPhone Forever plan, which basically gives you an upgrade yearly, as long as you trade in the old one. Basically, you are leasing, and can grab the newest one each year.

Also, because of my Sprint tenure, there is a $10 credit for the monthly fee for the lease. I can get the 64 gb iPhone 6 Plus for only $13.77 ($23.77 per month - $10 credit)... and, of course, I get a new iPhone every year.

However... The new 950 XL has my curiosity at an all time high, and I would normally switch over to Windows Phone 10 (if Sprint carries it) if it weren't for the enticing iPhone Forever deal. My last windows phone was an HTC Touch Pro slider in 2008. I loved the OS, but the hardware was utter ****e.

This iPhone Forever sign-up expires on Sept 10th... but the new Windows Phones won't be announced till after that, nor do I even know if its coming to Sprint... so it's a gamble.

What would you do? What are the chances that Sprint will even get one of the new flagships? At this point, I am leaning toward the iPhone plan, but could easily be persuaded otherwise.

Thanks

-HB
    08-29-2015 09:41 PM
    You plan to switch carriers? I have not heard that sprint would be getting any windows phones.
    08-29-2015 10:05 PM
    Not sure. I would not switch carriers at this point, but Sprint would not announce anything until Microsoft does.
    08-29-2015 10:24 PM
    I have been on Sprint for 16 years, they have always treated me right. I have been using nothing but windows phones since the Hitatchi G1000 in 2002. Prior to that I used a flip phone with a pocket pc.
    I currently have a HTC 8XT and a Lumia 635 running the win 10 preview. I wouldn't hold my breath on them carrying a flagship windows phone anytime soon.
    I will stick with what I have for now as only Att sells the 1520 and there service is bad where I live.

As much as I like windows phone I think you will be happier with what you have over going to a low end windows phone like my 635. As the screen resolution is low and only has 8 gig storage and 512 ram.
    08-29-2015 10:46 PM
    I am not in t he US but the way I see it, Is there a necessity to get a new IPhone every year specially when you have to return the old phone back? You are paying 130 bucks for not owning a phone ever and when you stop this what do you get in the end and how much you have spent over the years for the one phone you are left with. Arent you better off buying a new phone in 2 or 3 years and owning the phone. every single one of them and maybe sell it on ebay or somewhere. you will get something back? "IPhone for ever" they sure know how to reel it in. IMHO XL has the superior hardware and when it comes to win 10 and continuum and all that wp is the way to go but that is just me.

P.S I am not sure how the system works there with the providers and frequencies and all that. Given a choice and having an option I would go for the windows 10 outright and stick with it till it doesn't suit my purpose and something better is out there. So far for me it was the next best camera phone started with N8 >808 pureview and now 1020( only reason was the added advantage of the OS and the app store compared to a dying/dead OS Symbian) I sold the N8 but I am not parting with the camera on 808 or the 909. But I am eyeing the cityman as I have some changes in my personal and work related circumstances.

Cheers
    S
    Last edited by Skamath; 08-30-2015 at 12:54 AM. Reason: P.S
    08-30-2015 12:49 AM
    I am not in t he US but the way I see it, Is there a necessity to get a new IPhone every year specially when you have to return the old phone back? You are paying 130 bucks for not owning a phone ever and when you stop this what do you get in the end and how much you have spent over the years for the one phone you are left with. Arent you better off buying a new phone in 2 or 3 years and owning the phone. every single one of them and maybe sell it on ebay or somewhere. you will get something back? "IPhone for ever" they sure know how to reel it in. IMHO XL has the superior hardware and when it comes to win 10 and continuum and all that wp is the way to go but that is just me.
    This is a great point, but with this kind of program, you never have to deal with selling your phone. Selling phones isn't really something that everyone is comfortable with. I think if I was sure to stick with a carrier for a good while, maybe I would consider something like that.
    08-30-2015 01:00 AM
    This is a great point, but with this kind of program, you never have to deal with selling your phone. Selling phones isn't really something that everyone is comfortable with. I think if I was sure to stick with a carrier for a good while, maybe I would consider something like that.
    Well you don't have to sell it but the end result is that the phone that you have, wether sold or returned you don't have it with you anymore and the difference between the to would be in one option you get something back while the other you are paying for the phone on a monthly basis for years and have just one phone to show for it.

Instead buy a phone outright stay with it like you do with the provider and change the phone only if you have to. How much difference is there in the hardware of a phone? a bit more memory bit more this and that but do you need it? a bargain is a bargain only if you need it
    08-30-2015 01:05 AM
    Get the iPhone.. Windows 10 look feature complete & ugly.. I know its preview build but at time of wp 8.1 they did a overhaul in no time.. Now dey cnt ****in bug fix the windows 10 mobile.. Iphone is the safest bet.. If rumour & leaks r to b followed.. Lumia 950 is not looking good.. Specs are never a concern for windows or ios..

IPhone users get love from developers.. From cortana to google now. & both microsoft & Google's ecosystem r present on ios..

P.s- cortana is coming to ios
    08-30-2015 01:09 AM
    Well 160 a year is hard to beat for the latest and greatest. More then I'm willing to spend on a mobile on a yearly basis, but i guess that if you want a flagship it's a great deal.
    08-30-2015 01:46 AM
    Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile OS much more superior to iOS 9

The only problem I see coming if Microsoft uses the Snapdragon 810 in their flagship phone, considering that the new Snapdragon 820 is out this November at the same time as Win10 Mobile launch date is....I say new OS on new Hardware! If Microsoft using the Snapdragon 810 there doomed, then Android and iPhone can take the last 2% market share away. Hardware is very important!
    08-30-2015 02:40 AM
    hold on a second..... iPhone Forever plan contract????? at $13.77 + the cost of the line????? so $13.77 X 12 = $165.24 + the line ($70.00\Month) + tax.....

That doesn't sounds good to me....What if down the road you get tired of it....Can you get out of it???? or you are stuck FOREVER?????
    09-01-2015 10:48 PM
    iPhone Forever sounds about right to me.

Apple wants you in their ecosystem. They want to tie into every little thing and make it difficult for you to back out.

[/MyTwoCents]
    libra89 likes this.
    09-02-2015 11:07 AM
    You want a good Windows Phone? Leave Sprint. There's no other way to put it. Sprint's support of Windows Phone has been nothing short of abysmal. I know coverage might vary where you live, but if it all possible, just leave Sprint. Personally I'd recommend grabbing one of these cheap 1520s (only $180) while they're still in stock and moving to an MNVO.

Nokia Lumia 1520 RM-940 AT&T Unlocked (Black, Generic Box, B-Stock) #1520-BLK-Bstock - Expansys USA
    oviedofreak82 likes this.
    09-02-2015 10:00 PM
    When dealing with the "Maybe someday network" the key word to remember is PATIENCE! These are the same folks that said they wouldn't bother with WP and then released 2 phones. You should have grabbed a Neo, it worked great and they even updated it. Now if you cannot wait it out then just go ahead and sign your first born over to apple and don't look back cause Sprint isn't going to tell you Jack $#!!
    09-05-2015 06:53 PM
    I switched to sprint about a year ago but their service is really getting to me (data goes in and out daily) but I was considering picking up another windows phone and the one I had my eye on is the HTC M8 for windows for T-mo or Att what is everyone's thought of the phone ?
    09-11-2015 09:17 PM
    Now that HTC has dropped the gimmicky camera from their phones even the apologists seem to admit it is less than stellar...

The difference between Snapdragon 801 (One M8) and SD 800 (Lumia 1520) are probably hard to impossible to notice outside of a benchmarking site.

Find yourself a Factory Unlocked 1520.3 (RM-983) and enjoy the 20 MP shooter with DNG and 4K video, the big/beautiful/easy to read in sunlight 1080p IPS LCD display, the compatible with any U.S. GSM radio, the lack of a carrier standing in the way of your updates and all the Lumia Firmware touches.
    Last edited by RumoredNow; 09-12-2015 at 12:33 AM. Reason: typo monkey needed a banana
    HeyCori likes this.
    09-11-2015 10:10 PM
    There are unlocked Lumia 950 XL coming! I'm definitely getting one for Christmas! Win10 mobile going to awesome!
    09-17-2015 06:55 PM
    Hope, it has cdma bands like the 635.
    12-14-2015 05:42 PM
    Hope, it has cdma bands like the 635.
    Neither of the phone support Verizon's network, which is a big mistake on both Microsoft's and Verizon's part.
    12-14-2015 05:45 PM
    Neither of the phone support Verizon's network, which is a big mistake on both Microsoft's and Verizon's part.
    I am one of the last holdouts' on Sprint. Does not make sense that they left out the CDMA bands. The 635 has them plus all the lte bands and it is a very low end phone. I am starting to get picture that Microsoft doesn't want to be in mobile business anymore.
    12-15-2015 06:12 AM
    I am starting to get picture that Microsoft doesn't want to be in mobile business anymore.
    I have to admit it does seem that way, though Verizon isn't escaping the blame either. I can attest that their horrid treatment of the windows mobile platform is most likely what fueled this decision. Which is ironic because all updates now will be from Microsoft.
    12-15-2015 09:54 AM