My theory on why the 950 and XL designs kinda suck.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
here's my theory. Nokia pioneered Polycarbonate design 2 years ago.
Then a lot of Chinese OEMs started following this trend with their own small additions. Their design was mostly uninspired except for some small touches.
Now instead of improving upon their own design, Microsoft is seeing those designs as the natural evolution of their Polycarbonate design and making a Frankenstein phone out of these designs.

it's a theory.

you should wait and hold onto your opinion till you actually have the device in your hand... renders for the most part always suck.

windowshopper23

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
I posted this in another thread, but I suppose this could be my theory on why the design of the 950 fails to impress.

Microsoft is just stuck in a rut. They don't seem to be innovating in the mobile space in the same fashion Nokia did. At least in terms of designs, and wanting to push themselves to improve with each iteration. Not just with design of the device but the design of the camera and tech inside the device. Get this. Nokia released it's thinnest phone with it's latest camera tech back in 2013 with the 930 and 1520 respectively. The 1520 being the thinnest phone to hold the 20mp camera to date so far at 8.7mm thin. That was at least 2 pushing 3 years ago. Nowadays we have Sony in the mobile space also pushing out 20mp camera sensors in a much smaller package with devices like the Z3 sitting at a thinness of 6.9mm. That's an insane difference. You have to wonder what Microsoft is doing with remaining pieces of Nokia.There seems to be no innovation happening whatsoever. And you also have to wonder what Nokia would be pushing out in this day and age if they hadn't been bought out and shut down essentially. Microsoft appears to have settled. Continuing to try and use the best Nokia had to offer 3 years ago. Well Microsoft, I've got news for you, companies have caught up and then some. Companies nowadays are focusing on design, quality materials, camera quality, and affordability. The trends nowadays focusing on making the bezel on the device as small as possible, having a quality top notch camera that gives users access to manual settings (something Nokia started with their own camera app on WP) and if you want to reach a larger audience (smaller campanies) or have the opportunity to you don't skimp on design or materials or specs and price the design around $400 or below. The 950 renders we're seeing here, and with EVleaks I have confidence this is the final design, it seems like Microsoft is stuck in the past. Yes, the specs are there. It's got plenty of power. But it's design and overall dimensions just don't make sense for a 2015 phone. You toss in a pointless Iris scanner, you have these large bezels for a device that has software buttons and a flat screen at the edges. And you still are stuck on having a device that is 9mm thick with a 20mp sensor. Sony shows us that shouldn't be the case for a phone in 2015. Looking at the renders one more time I'm also bothered by the fact that this device will be a very top heavy device. They've placed everything at the top of the device, including the speaker. Which again show's this device wasn't designed with ergonomics in mind. This is another long post from me, but I was always a fan of Nokia, and their ability to innovate in the mobile space. They never got enough credit for the effort and care they put into the devices they put out. I would have hoped Microsoft had embraced that but it looks like they simply just took some scrapped designs here and there, kept the camera tech from 3 years ago and made the 950 that has been leaked and will be released here in 2015. A real shame. Nokia would have done better. I have no doubt they would have eventually gone to something along these lines. Elegant, beautiful design, and innovative camera tech.

View attachment 111426

View attachment 111427

It's funny, the 950 and the decline in design with these latest WP devices (640 and 640 XL, 630) really mirrors the decline of the design and look of the Windows Phone UI. The Metro/Modern UI is all but gone, which is apparent in most of WM10 everywhere except the homescreen. Just a shame really, I've been a WP fan since day one. I can't help but feel WP8.1 will be the last iteration of the OS i'll really enjoy and appreciate.

Geo Hutchings

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I posted this in another thread, but I suppose this could be my theory on why the design of the 950 fails to impress.

All I am going to say is, Microsoft still has not show the phone, everything is just leaks and concept render, not a real picture of the phone, the renders are done badly, Microsoft does not do bad renders

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
What does it matter we are gonna put a case on it anyway! As long as the screen is awesome and the camera is great who cares about the back of the darn thing! Just my thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A correction here. While I do use a case, I am specifically using a clear case so looks do still matter here! Materials though, not so much.

Eisenhorn76

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Here's a render of the surface phone.

View attachment 111406

I don't know. I don't find that render all that compelling. It sort of looks like an LG G4 -- my wife has one and I find it very pedestrian. Maybe I'm in the minority here but I happen to like the design of the Lumia 640XL and it made me decided to get a 950XL when it comes out. That they'll look similar doesn't bother me. Of course, I hope the 950XL comes in orange too!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Here's my theory. At this point, most of it is renderings or prototype, that ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE. Who cares at this point ?

When it's on the shelf, available to buy, or we see OFFICAL pictures released from Microsoft that will be the RTM or release to stores model, Then we can complain.

Right now, it could totally change, so I am like, what ever at this point.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
What does it matter we are gonna put a case on it anyway! As long as the screen is awesome and the camera is great who cares about the back of the darn thing! Just my thoughts

Except that the variety and availability of cases for Windows phones is usually pretty limited... It's near impossible to even find WP cases in stores and Otterbox hasn't even been bothering with WPs lately (at least I know they didn't make one for the 830). So for a lot of WP users, cases just aren't an option because there isn't much to choose from.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Here's a render of the surface phone.

View attachment 111406

Yeah, this would cost a gazillion dollars.

I understand the problem with the suspected 950 design, but if it helps keep costs down to make it more palatable for people on the fence about switching to W10M, then it is probably worth it. iAndroid users aren't going to bother if the specs are subpar, to perhaps there's some cost cutting in hardware design.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Seems high end stuff is getting very competitive.

I like the colour scheme of this phone. Though not a fan of the shape. I'd like Cityman to come in these colours.
  • $349
  • 5.2-inch 1080p display,
  • a Snapdragon 808 SoC
  • 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage
  • 2680mah battery.
  • USB Type-C port supports USB 3.0 speeds.
  • fingerprint reader on the device,integrated into the side-mounted power button.
  • dual front-facing speakers
  • NFC
  • 13MP camera

Robin-Mint-3000x3000.jpg

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Seems high end stuff is getting very competitive.

I like the colour scheme of this phone. Though not a fan of the shape. I'd like Cityman to come in these colours.
  • $349
  • 5.2-inch 1080p display,
  • a Snapdragon 808 SoC
  • 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage
  • 2680mah battery.
  • USB Type-C port supports USB 3.0 speeds.
  • fingerprint reader on the device,integrated into the side-mounted power button.
  • dual front-facing speakers
  • NFC
  • 13MP camera

View attachment 111452

Hideous.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft didn't make the designs, Nokia did. Please you guys need to stop this hate on Microsoft. Whether Microsoft bought Nokia or not, these were the flagships we were going to get.
Exactly! MS can't win with some of us... really. I love Nokia designs personally, but they are clearly not saving WP. When your at 3% market share you have to do survey you can to move up. Period. We shouldn't be complaining...seriously.

dakken

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Find it hard to believe these bland bricks are Nokia designed. With their previous WP ranges their flagships have always been distinctive from the lower range models, ie the 920 was different from all lower models, the 1020 & 925 different again, the 1520 & 1320 launched together but were different, and the Icon/930/830 were different again to the lower end models. Microsoft takes over and suddenly the new flagship devices are perfect clones of the low end 640 and 640XL in their design and differ only in the camera humps at the back. Reeks of Microsoft's conservatism rather than the energy Nokia brought to WP for years.

No matter how hard it is for you to believe,,its still true. These are NOKIA Designed phones.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion