What if the upcoming Lumia 950/xl is not the flagship?

Joel DSO

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Looking at the leaked renders and photos of the Lumia 950 and 950xl I'm wondering, what if this is not the flagship phone that everyone is expecting?
I seem to remember that Nadella said they would concentrate on three areas for phones: budget/entry level, Business and Enthusiasts.

what if the 950 is the phone for business?

I think that people are thinking about business phones as mid range, but I think that what Microsoft might mean is durable, reliable and easy to repair/maintain etc. but not necessarily cheaper or less feature packed than the 'flagship'. Kind of like the Dell Latitude 5000 series or 6 series, or even their Precision Mobile Workstations. Those have objectively boring designs, and don't look premium, but have high specs and last a long time, exactly what a company is looking for.

this would explain the design of the Lumia 950/xl looking medium range, but having flagship specs.

more importantly, it would let us still hope for a different phone that looks stunning and will convince everyone to change to W10 Mobile

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
A guy I know who works for Microsoft says these ARM based 950/950XL phones are good, but they're just "pacifier devices".. Just phones to get the OS (Win10 mobile) out the door. He says the real flagship phones are coming in January-February (Intel based).

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
That's an interesting concept. It's pretty wide spread based off the recent comments and discussions from the WP community that most of us already own a previous flagship more premium looking than what Microsoft is offering us this fall. Well at least based off the renders and leaks which could actually be doing the real things a disservice. I just really hope we didn't have to wait close to two years(because many of the former flagships were exclusive) for that.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think business phones would be sporting cameras like that. I think the 950 and 950 XL's aesthetics may have reduced to wishful thinking.

What isn't wishful thinking is that there will probably be some kind of Intel-based Surface phone at some point, but who knows if it'll be flagship-class.

Also, those hoping for a new, less ugly phone may still have hope in the Lumia 840 (850?). The 830 certainly didn't disappoint in that regard, though of course that design came under Nokia's auspices.

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Looking at the leaked renders and photos of the Lumia 950 and 950xl I'm wondering, what if this is not the flagship phone that everyone is expecting?
I seem to remember that Nadella said they would concentrate on three areas for phones: budget/entry level, Business and Enthusiasts.

what if the 950 is the phone for business?

I think that people are thinking about business phones as mid range, but I think that what Microsoft might mean is durable, reliable and easy to repair/maintain etc. but not necessarily cheaper or less feature packed than the 'flagship'. Kind of like the Dell Latitude 5000 series or 6 series, or even their Precision Mobile Workstations. Those have objectively boring designs, and don't look premium, but have high specs and last a long time, exactly what a company is looking for.

this would explain the design of the Lumia 950/xl looking medium range, but having flagship specs.

more importantly, it would let us still hope for a different phone that looks stunning and will convince everyone to change to W10 Mobile

The most best explanation I have read so far....and that make sense. So the crier will cry some more cause they are still on the waiting list...LOL

Alain_A

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
A guy I know who works for Microsoft says these ARM based 950/950XL phones are good, but they're just "pacifier devices".. Just phones to get the OS (Win10 mobile) out the door. He says the real flagship phones are coming in January-February (Intel based).

That too make sense

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
If Nadella is really focusing on those three areas, I would think that the rumored Surface phone would be for business. But then again it would appeal to enthusiasts too. The 950 leaks just don't look 'business' to me.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's not that case. An x86-based Intel phone would be more business-aimed than consumer. These are running general flagship hardware. I don't know how you can think they're not the flagships, unless you think a magic Surface Phone shows up in the fall, or that Microsoft's is ACTUALLY stupid enough to take 2 years to release its first high-end phone.

Tragic

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
I want to believe this so bad. Please be right.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a Lumia 1520 that I bought last Feb due to the rather strong feeling I had that it would still be quite some time before we saw an actual Flagship phone from MS. I love the 1520 and the finished product (Windows 8.1) that is the OS. I have a great music experience with a combination of the old Music Hub tile and xbox music. The camera is terrific. I am a golf pro and the "Moments" app to show individual frames of the video's that I take is invaluable when I am giving lessons.
I am not a fan so far of the mobile version of Windows 10 and their lack (Again!!) of a decent music app that had the features that the last version of the OS had. Doesn't have to have more features, just not less.
I feel like the comment about the coming flagships not being anything but a stopgap measure is probably very accurate, it is after all MS first attempt at a quality high end phone and it will be rife with problems. Afterall look how long they have been trying to get something as simple as a native music app done. Ask Apple how important they feel music is to the mobile experience, considering that it was the iPod that basically gave birth to the iPhone.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't care if it's a flagship, I just hope it isn't the only flagship. I want a bonafide replacement for my 1520, and no, a 5.7" is not a replacement for the 1520.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos