I owe an apology to people who use Glance.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
it's nice that you enjoyed so much this great feature. I miss it sometimes on my 930. I hope they keep adding it to more devices and improving it.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Thanks. One down, a few million to go.

Doesn't work on mine. My lock screen has been showing the weather just fine, but it never shows on Glance, which I was expecting. I've heard reports from other 640 users it doesn't work for them either. It could be a GDR2 thing, or it could be because it's not AMOLED. I'm not sure how they did glance without AMOLED, but I'm still happy.

Also not available that I can find. Don't want the background for glance, though, as one of the things I love about it is the simplicity and non-jarring effect it has when you "glance" in a dark room.

Thanks! Do I get a T-Shirt?
The screen type has nothing to do with Glance, it's the display memory. LCD displays are perfectly capable of Glance, but they won't come with the added battery benefits (as the whole backlight is still used, while with AMOLED individual pixels would be used). Glance is activated using a proximity sensor which is basically infrared that detects motion in front of the screen. The display's memory dictates how quickly it can access and display information and how much it can display using Glance. AMOLED displays with Glance typically react faster because of AMOLED's screen technology, and it looks better as it is true black. However, that being said, LCD displays work just fine as well. If you compare a Lumia 830 to the Lumia 1020, the 1020 is typically noticeably faster, even with slower hardware. It's the display technology. The Moto X "Glance" screen (it's not really Glance but it works the same way) is much faster as well as a combination of four proximity sensors and AMOLED technology.

The Lumia 640 has a stripped back Glance screen, which is to be expected in a budget device. It has enough display memory for basic Glance but not enough to display a full picture or a whole load of information quickly like that. It's fantastic that it has it at all, though. Infinitely better than the Icon, which was ruined as a prospective phone for me because of the lack of Glance. Wanted a 1520 but couldn't find one so ended up getting a Lumia 830 which is a move I don't regret one bit.

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Enjoying still using Glance on my 830 with Windows 10 Preview build 10166.

If you're one that lost Glance settings, sorry for your loss.

I was able to retain the settings from a 8.1 upgrade and NOT doing a hard reset. Just let it sit overnight and do it's thing when I updated.

I'm hoping the new builds will allow this to work because I would be pretty mad if it didn't. Haven't gone to the latest build because of the loss of mobile hotspot. The new phones better have it and out of beta too.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Lol, hopefully you don't feel the same for folks who cannot live without a phone without wireless charging...blame the Lumia 920 for it :eck:

:smile:

If you're one that lost Glance settings, sorry for your loss.

I think he meant the additional functionality to show weather information. The new Windows 10 weather app does not support that function.

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I think for weather to work on Glance, you have to pin the weather app on start screen and use weather app as your lockscreen too.. I don't Know exactly but I have kept it like that and it works on 1020.. On W10M TP I managed to get weather info on glance but it will only show your location and temperature.. You have to use sysapp pusher app and then find the glance app and it's settings from it...

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Glance Screen on Lumia 1320, W10M TP

Attachments

• 95407.jpg
    95407.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 3

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Thank you , so much useful tip! worked great

Welcome! And one thing you gotta keep in mind that it would be sometimes off because the limitations of WP.. The app will present the refreshed data only once every 30 minutes I guess..

Last edited:

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
It's possible to change the time of refresh?

I don't know exactly, I have been using this app since last two years but never got into much details.. I don't find it off most of the times though.. But in general I know that the third party app which requires real time data could be a little off like clock, weather and battery apps..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077