I Challenge You To Explain How Different 950/950 XL are from the last gen phones that you LOVE

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
Will somebody announce an expensive looking back cover for this thing. Put a few diamond studs in it to satisfy the Bling crowd.

Ok, yeah. I just looked at the shots of the Acer Jade Primo. I think that type of back cover would help the 950/950XL cause a lot. Something looking more like stainless steel than Playschool.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the frustration is that we all want windows phone to succeed. The phones deliver in specs, I cant tell you how excited I am by the removable battery! If the phones look cheap or boring they wont stand out to non windows phone users. I am personal not as opposed to the on screen navigation. Going back to my HTC trophy and through my Nokias I have always been plagued by my palm accidentally hitting the back arrow. I am hoping the on screen buttons will help.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can't say whether its just unflattering or whatever but I'm not a fan of the camera on the back and such, it just feels very awkward to me, the combo of placement and the accent around it.

Anyways, i'm not impressed and it hasn't really struck me like the other models have. To its credit though, I haven't seen it in person so it might just be unphotogenic like me.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Anyways, i'm not impressed and it hasn't really struck me like the other models have. To its credit though, I haven't seen it in person so it might just be unphotogenic like me.
So far all we've seen are blurry shots and non-promotional renders. You don't have to be "unphotogenic" to look bad under those conditions.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Will you stop with this nonsense already!? Can't you ever understand that the design of the phone is what triggers FIRST when a potential customers enters a store or visits an online one.Like one said here, average Joe won't see the specs first. If he does not like the phone he will say: I'll pass, ain't that nice ya' now. The difference is in the whole design! You cannot ask a premium price just because your devices have specs!! Ain't gonna cut it. You also need to have premium finish on the device, no matter the materials used! These two are simply amateur made, crap!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Can't you ever understand that the design of the phone is what triggers FIRST when a potential customers enters a store or visits an online one.

No criteria, or ranking of criteria, is universal... Just saying.

You don't see the OP's side, he doesn't see yours.

In subjective matters there is no absolute right or wrong, only an ad hoc case by case basis.

... You also need to have premium finish on the device... These two are simply amateur made...

I will say that I'm mystified how everyone can tell what the material looks and feels like from a render. It's like judging the taste of a meal from a photo.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Will you stop with this nonsense already!? Can't you ever understand that the design of the phone is what triggers FIRST when a potential customers enters a store or visits an online one.Like one said here, average Joe won't see the specs first. If he does not like the phone he will say: I'll pass, ain't that nice ya' now. The difference is in the whole design! You cannot ask a premium price just because your devices have specs!! Ain't gonna cut it. You also need to have premium finish on the device, no matter the materials used! These two are simply amateur made, crap!

Wow. I'm glad I don't go around in life thinking like you. Enjoy your bling!

d33pth0u9ht

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Marius may come off a bit harsh, but that does not mean their comment is wrong. The appearance of products regularly influences the average customers opinion of the product. Engines usually do not sell cars, it is what they look like from the road or in pictures. Since the majority of customers enter the store with a predisposition towards either iPhone or Android, the Microsoft product will have to stand out in order to get noticed. Unfortunately, they will have to be better (not equal to) than the competition in order to convince low-information customers to switch.

I personally cannot wait for the 950xl and then the Surface Phone next year. The Surface name is strong in the public and an Intel-based processor will be something the competition does not have. I also agree, the biggest shortcoming of the 950xl is the lack of capacitive keys. I have a 640xl currently (replaced my broken 1520) and the display keys are fine. Once I got used to them, they work very well. The capacitive keys however, are a visible item that differentiates a mid-level phone from a high-end phone. I feel removing them from the design is a mistake.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I Challenge You To Explain How Different 950/950 XL are from the last gen phones that you LOVE

I don't get this thread. No one would question someone that grew tired of listening to the same song after two years, or looking at the same painting for two years. What's wrong with wanting a radically different phone design after 2+ years. When I look at my 1520 and the 950, I don't think wow that's new! I think, wow... that's slightly different.

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I am looking forward to the rounded corners. The sharp corners on my 1520 are one of the very few things I don't like about it. As far as that silver ring on the 950, I really, really hate it. I'm hoping that the version AT&T gets is "exclusive" in that it is exactly like every other 950, but without the silver ring. :smile: I'm also looking forward to the on screen buttons. It will be nice to have the buttons become non-functional without some sort of action in a game or app. Maybe I can finally let my 2 yr old play with the phone without having to go into App Corner and starting it with disabled buttons.

ohlumia

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
I think people will stop asking questions as soon as Microsoft acknowledges that the 950 and 950XL are not flagships.
Look at any other brands out there, a flagship makes a statement:
Apple has 3d touch, actually looks like someone spent time designing it
Sony has 4K, actually looks like someone spent time designing it
One plus has the price advantage
Motorola is always slightly ahead of the google curve software wise and also has the price advantage
HTC has, well not a lot aside from a nice looking phone
Microsoft with the 950 and 950XL have nothing that screams flagship here, please don't say continium or iris login. The OS is late and incomplete, the App Store is a desert island, hardware history is crap (have had hardware issues with all my high end lumias, well documented issues in these forums)...

To be completely honest, I do not consider these to be flagships, a flagship phone could be something running an intel CPU that picks up desktop apps and old x86 apps, that mixed up with continium could shake things a bit but even there, Apple has had ample time to build the App Store and lots of people now have what they need in there, it won't be easy to switch, Microsoft will need to put something out that's better than what else is on the market, like the Surface pro 3 did, right now, they've got nothing but a lifeline.
If they price these phones anywhere north of 350$ for the high end model, it would be a statement that they are really putting Windows Phone in the ground...

Cheers,

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
For the past two years everyone complained about no flagships because of specs. Now everyone's complaining about no flagships because of design. MS cannot win with you guys. Sheesh!

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
For the past two years everyone complained about no flagships because of specs. Now everyone's complaining about no flagships because of design. MS cannot win with you guys. Sheesh!

well yes. if others can deliver both specs and design why can't MS do the same?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who doubts the importance of aesthetics in the high-end of the mobile phone market should look at the effort invested by Motorola, Sony, Samsung and the rest in differentiating their products. Companies are experimenting with many materials, even wood and leather, to lend their devices some sense of style.

Now style is hard to quantify and achieve because it involves balance, but people seem to recognise it when they see it. There are rules of thumb and examples we can point to, the Lumia 735 come to mind. Despite already owning a 920 and a 930, when I saw the 735, I wanted it and almost bought one when the first Windows 10 TP was released. It was only the fact that the 735 wasn't on the original list of supported devices which stopped me. I still like the idea of owning a 735 and have to stop myself buying one. Anyone who has ever felt desire for something that looks good knows what I'm talking about.

If you look at the designs I bought, the 920 and 930, you see that they are both clean: there are no camera humps and trim is used sparingly. These devices all look as if they are one piece, even when it's clear they aren't. The 920 looks like it's been extruded from a tube, while on the 930 the back cover comes very close to the edge of the device, keeping it clean.

Trim wise, the 920 has a metal strip which surrounds the camera lens and has the branding on it. It is also very slightly raised, helping to protect the lens and body of the device when it's left on a table, but not so much as to distract. On the 930 the metal surround is the only trim on the device. Nokia clearly use the KISS principle: Keep It Simple Stupid.

With the 950/950XL renders there are various things which disturb the simplicity of the design; we've all read complaints regarding the ugliness of the ring on the back of the 950, which aren't raised on the 950XL where ring is modest. The XL also benefits from the flash being integrated into the camera hump, though they have also met with criticism, because they disturb the eye and trip the fingers. What is particularly disappointing here is that with all the noise in the design, they're not particularly thin either. Another disappointment is the paucity of colour, the only thing you can do to make ABS distinctive is colour it. I can see myself buying a spare case and painting it, not easy on ABS if it flexes.

After waiting so long, expectations were high for Cityman/Talkman and previous Lumias have set a precedent these new designs don't seem live up to. I'm going to reserve my final judgement for when I see them, but I can't say I'm confident and having to invest ?500 or more for something so bland doesn't appeal.

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site

No, I'm sorry but I don't think this is fair.

1. Different people want different things, whatever balance you strike, someone's going to be unhappy.
2. These designs really seem to be lacklustre both technically and from an aesthetic point of view. There are questions over the wisdom of using the Snapdragon 810, given its reputation for overheating and with the 820 just announced, even this is going to seem obsolete before long. The only reason people wanted SD cards is that companies are reluctant to put a decent amount of memory in their devices. If I can buy a 128GB iPhone, why can't I buy a 128 GB Cityman? The reason for the removable battery is a similar reluctance to provide adequate capacity.
3. People expect a lot when they pay a lot and that includes style/?lan whatever you call it.
4. Expectations are high because we've had the 920 and 930. We've also seen the lost opportunities of MacLaren and Moonraker.
5. People who want Windows Mobile to succeed know that there has to be a flagship to cast a halo effect on the ecosystem.
6. Given the titanic efforts going in to making 'one Windows' work, this basic failure is doubly galling.
7. Morale in the Windows Mobile community is very low and something is needed to pick things up a bit. Now is the time for a grand gesture.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Pretty simple: wow factor is missing form the two leaked models. Do not have anything to stand in front of the other flagships in a store, a web ad or a carrier online store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I really don't care for the protruding camera lenses, cause I don't wanna scratch the glass or the ring like I do with my Icon. It's flat but I don't wanna put scratches on the lens so I put it front face down. Though I can get some lucrative 3d printed cases for it that still shows off the phone. Like a car, I'm more interested in what's under the hood than the look of the vehicle but that's just me. But the fact that I can add more memory on top of the OEM 32 is cool, besides I still have 14gb's left on my Icon. I don't bury myself with too many apps, some games, social, and a lot of music. But I'm waiting on which carrier its going to be on. Colors other than white and black would be key like the 735 and 930's. I guess I'll just have to wait till it comes out and go to the store and trial run it.

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

...yet you didn't answer the question posed in the original post. This thread was created for people that are claiming the phones are ugly to explain exactly what's so ugly about them, especially since when I look at them they don't look much different than the current Lumias out there and everyone is waving the flag for those on this forum daily.

So what exactly about the design is so unforgivably horrible? The potential consumers you speak of that are going to see these and turn away in disgust would've done the same when looking at a 920. Yet you love the 920 right?

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I Challenge You To Explain How Different 950/950 XL are from the last gen pho...

...yet you didn't answer the question posed in the original post. This thread was created for people that are claiming the phones are ugly to explain exactly what's so ugly about them, especially since when I look at them they don't look much different than the current Lumias out there and everyone is waving the flag for those on this forum daily.

So what exactly about the design is so unforgivably horrible? The potential consumers you speak of that are going to see these and turn away in disgust would've done the same when looking at a 920. Yet you love the 920 right?

I like 920,925,930,1520 yes, but these two don't look premium. back when those I've mentioned were launched, most of them, looked and still look great. the overall design is nice, but at these two the overall do not stand out in front of the competition. the mass has had enough of lumia hw issues, missing or outdated apps, mediocre MS customer support, and windows 10 mobile is a downfall from 8.1 in respect of unique things, fluidity. it may have stuff but it looks like a desktop shrinked down OS, far from mobile seamless experience. I loved my 930,1520 on 8.1, but on 10 no way. With 10's reborn from 8.1 MS has one more destroyed things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon