Just suppose this Concept 950XL showed up. Could you, would you, in a box?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• concept-950-3.jpg
    concept-950-3.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 140
  • concept-950.jpg
    concept-950.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 139
  • concept-950-2.jpg
    concept-950-2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 140

Matt Addy

May 29, 2014
Visit site
This is exactly how the 950/950xl should look. Microsoft is stupid if they release with the design leaked a few weeks ago. Lumia's have always been either very clean and sharp looking or very out there and colorful with the exception of the low-end devices (even low end devices are very colorful but they just look cheap and fragile) but the leaked designs look just as bad or possibly worse than some of the cheapest Lumia's around. Please someone make Microsoft change to this exact design and I will throw my money at the 950xl.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I like the overall gist of this design concept, but just a few things...

?The extreme reflectivity and or gloss od the metal sides doesn't look premium, and looks rather fake and cheap

?The side bezels of the front are unrealistically thin (they're pretty much non-existent)

?Lastly some elements of the concept are misaligned, such as the Microsoft logo on the back

Other than those three things this would make a beautiful device if it were real

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
This is exactly what I would would imagine a Surface branded smartphone would look like... Except I would picture a surface phone to not have any logos on the front, and the back of the device would say "surface" with the Microsoft square logo instead of the word "Microsoft" with the square logo

Also I would imagine a surface phone to be unibody metal instead having a removable back like what appears to be pictured in this concept

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Besides the physical buttons, yeah. Not sure how you can use a keyboard and mouse on your phone, then try to go back with a physical back, home, and search.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
I think everyone, well most, are upset with the back cover. You can do a lot with plastic these days. The 950 needs to step out of the Orange, Cyan, Black or white mold. Genuine imitation brushed stainless would do wonders.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I like more complex designs like S6 Edge, HTC M9, Nexus 6.. That's flagship for me. IPhone 6 is somewhere in the middle. Square sharp edges bores me. That's why I'd like too see other manufacturers produce phones rather than just Microsoft.

To be more precise I'm pointing at the frame curves, not at specific details. The devices I pointed out are only to compare frames.

However Microsoft will probably change their designs after their first phone designed by them.

Last edited:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I still defend Lumia 950/950XL design because of polycarbonate. And the best thing is metal frame on XL, where I could put magnetic lens.

Last edited:

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Almost looks like the ICON, just the back is a little flatter....The ICON/930 in white offers the silver trim around it and black has the black trim.

That combo looks like the b.a.s.t.a.r.d child of the Nokia ICON/930 and the iPhone 5....sorry, who ever came up with that..

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Almost looks like the ICON, just the back is a little flatter....The ICON/930 in white offers the silver trim around it and black has the black trim.

That combo looks like the b.a.s.t.a.r.d child of the Nokia ICON/930 and the iPhone 5....sorry, who ever came up with that..
The Icon's design looks great to me. I even like the 930's design. Iphone 5? Perhaps there is that but at the end of the day, everything is the candy bar design and that popularity is totally the result Apple's design. So if the phone will be candy bar, there will have to be crossover. At least I expect there to be.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
The Icon's design looks great to me. I even like the 930's design. Iphone 5? Perhaps there is that but at the end of the day, everything is the candy bar design and that popularity is totally the result Apple's design. So if the phone will be candy bar, there will have to be crossover. At least I expect there to be.

I hear ya. I too love the look of the ICON/930 (own a Icon with all colored backs). I saw the iPhone 5 because my brother has one (he just picked up a 1520 thanks to me), and saw, played with that phone many times, it gave the same look.

Look at the iPhone 5, it's rounded edges with the silver trim around it, then look at the ICON/930, Yep pretty much a combo :)

Anyway about it, there is only so many ways to make a "candy bar" type phone these days, so you can only be so creative and also make it feel premium as well. Sure you can do it in colors of plastic but, you step down in quality (can be viewed by some this way)

As normal, this is a rendering and not a finish product, so when it hits, it could look totally different.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

The 930 & ICON have the exact same design... The ICON just says Verizon on the front and only comes in 2/4 of the 930 colors...

0jonadams

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
Looks great. Not sure I can go with the XL size, though. My Lumia 920 is about as big as I want for a phone....

I feel like since MS is dropping the Nokia branding, they should also drop the Lumia branding. That way, with Win10 mobile, and MS branded phones it will all feel new, and not like they're just dragging out the windows phone stuff that hasn't been widely received yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99