Lumia 950 and 950 XL design modifications

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! I just want to open up new thread and discuss about some 'tiny' design changes wish to improved or change based strictly from current leaked renders. Not totally different concept images/renders, just based on the current leaked images.

So it doesn't matter if you agree or disagree with current leaked image. This thread is meant to discuss modifications on more feasible approach.

First this is the leaked 950 and 950 XL render.
Lumia-950-Lumia-950-XL.jpg

This is my take about modification concept based on the image.
mockup2.png
mockup3.png

My modifications involves smaller bezel (not too small), speaker design from 640 XL and 950 share same camera design from 950 XL. The other image have rather bit more different which has stereo speakers at the front, so the bezels are bigger of course.

I think 950 and 950 XL can do look better with some of these tiny changes especially the back of 950. Speakers design seems change the look a lot without massive redesigning. Bezels is rather extra since its pretty much possible to do these days. I wish to have curve glass (which I like) but I think its fine even without one.

Dreaming Silver

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
Nice idea - the changes you've made on camera and bezels are a definite improvement.

I doubt anything on my list will come as a surprise but here are a couple of suggestions:
1. Square off the corners of the device
2. De-clutter the back of the phone
3. Remove MS branding from the front
4. Standardise the button layout for the two phones
5. Smaller bezels!

I'd also like to see the back made from more premium material, but I assume this is a bigger change than you have in mind.

to_be_announced

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Nice idea - the changes you've made on camera and bezels are a definite improvement.

I doubt anything on my list will come as a surprise but here are a couple of suggestions:
5. Smaller bezels!

I'd also like to see the back made from more premium material, but I assume this is a bigger change than you have in mind.

I'm curious on your #2. What exactly is the "clutter" you want removed? The only unnecessary thing on the back is the Microsoft logo, and I rather like that as it's simplistic and good looking.

vipme

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I don't like the Microsoft logo the way it is on this 950 design, move it somewhere else or change it.

beman39

Dec 24, 2014
Visit site
everything is fine with your mock up except 1 thing... front facing speakers! like my mock up... you can hardly see it but its there.
I want the sound directed at me and not the back!! people behind my phone shouldn't have to hear my movies/music LOL

Attachments

• mockup4.png
    mockup4.png
    255.7 KB · Views: 4

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
everything is fine with your mock up except 1 thing... front facing speakers! like my mock up... you can hardly see it but its there.

I actually see it! It's obvious for me. XD

Anyways, I prefer having minimalist speaker line hole at the edge of the bezel. They're optimize landscape stereo, similar to HTC One series. So they're better for videos and landscape gaming. But yeah yours is nice too. Just a different approach since you prefer the portrait stereo speakers at the front, which are placed at the bottom bezel.

I want the sound directed at me and not the back!! people behind my phone shouldn't have to hear my movies/music LOL

Yeah! Microsoft have to release front-stereo speakers for their next flagship next year. Like come on! Golden days of Nokia N-Series have stereo speakers and HTC One realize this and pretty smart to put it in the front. I'm always find it weird to watch videos with mono speakers placed around the sides of the device, as if I have a hearing problem.

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site

5. Smaller bezels!

Well I'll try, though those are quite drastic actually, especially changing the materials (which will change the texture). It will look entirely different from official renders. Though removing MS branding at the front and button layout they're easier. I'll try to make one if I have an extra time. You can modify the photo if you want, this is the point of the thread anyways, editing the official renders.

About the bezels, actually they're now smaller than the original. They're much more noticeable on the bottom bezel, the sides is not so obvious. I just try to reduced it as realistically I can think of.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos