Lumia 950/950XL rumored launch

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft's polycarbonate flagships are out of step with the industry, but that should not matter to true fans - WMPoweruser

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/642341927917088768

Hey guys I have to admit that when I first saw the rumored flagships I was pretty disappointed and uninspired to say the least. I came over to Android after being with Windows Phone since the beginning. Honestly the Android experience is very good and surely good enough that I could stay with the OS despite a few nagging issues(#1 being parts of a particular OS update being optional and not guaranteed ex.RAW capture,manual focus, and shutter speed being available to all OEMs yet not being implemented in all phones running Android Lollipop and even new flagships). I was looking to come back to Windows 10 Mobile this fall and after reading this article it really sounds credible and sheds a light on perhaps why we're getting these instead of the dreamy "Surface Phone". Also I feel like they may be saving such a coveted device for what is expected to be a mature time of the OS(the app recompiler efforts should be in full effect by then-May/June). I'm just speculating here. But the rumored date for the launch ,rather that is actual availability or an announcement, according to Evan Blass is scheduled for October 10 or 10/10. I hope this date is correct but I'm not 100% sold(90% though) since this date falls on a Saturday. Either way we should know something soon as Microsoft cannot simply continue to wait around while flagships are actually being launched and sold. Time is of the essence. So here's hoping for 10/10!

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Phones are coming and most likely before the holidays :) Don't think MS will want to miss that boat
Yep but if Microsoft pulls that "before the holidays " or "in the coming weeks" line at this announcement they can forget about me giving them a chance until they release a Surface phone or Lumia 1020 successor.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
At this point im not sure we're getting a successor for the 1020. There were rumors previously, but those have seemingly died down.. The announcement of the new phones could coincide with the launch official launch of w10m, which was set for October (I think). Would make sense to me to display the new OS with new phones :p

AV2RY

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
As previously with other flagships (930) MS will present the phones soon* and monthS after they might be available for purchase

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
They cannot afford to treat this like ever other launch. I for one will not wait around if they do not specifically let us know when and how much these devices will cost. Point blank. I hope you are wrong this time.

Sent from my D6616 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Majo thing of a phone is it's software, and then design and hardware.
Windows 10 Mobile needs all quality universal apps and games from first party developers which are on par on quality and functionality with Ios and Android versions on release with Flagships, many features that are pretty basic in all Ios and Android smartphones.
And, Honestly Microsoft messed with Start screen by creating and using transparent tiles or same accent coloured tiles, which is pretty boring and unuseful because the transparent tiles make the functionality of Live Tiles pretty useless and are not consistent with Windows 10 PC tiles; Rather the on-screen navigation buttons should be fully transparent with not overlaping over the tiles, and the action+notifications center should be blurry transparent as in PC version. We need consistent UX across all core apps, at least for similar type of core apps with the UX later being implemented in other apps too. We don't even have bluetooth folder on files, or any first party browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome ( there are opera mini, uc browser, internet explorer but they can't handle large web files and complex websites which upon opening they crash the apps). We need nice media players like VLC, Mx player, and Classic which are on par on quality with Android and Ios versions. We want youtube downloader apps like green tube ltd. Youtube downloader in PC, tubemate, Want official torrent downloading apps from ?torrent, bittorrent, etc. We want official youtube, gmail and google earth apps. We want latest and greatest social and games apps from first party developers comparable to Android and Ios versions.
Most of the apps are third party apps in Windows phone which often are catcopy and not as functional as Android and Ios versions, crash a lot while using( I haven't seen this type of case in Android or Ios), the annoying loading and resuming screen. We don't need hell lot of copycat apps which don't even function their basic features properly( I am looking at browser apps, youtube apps, torrent apps, and google maps apps, music and video apps, social apps, etc.), and crash a lot. Why the hell we need tons of flashlight apps if we have flashlight control from action center. So, even less apps but apps with quality and features on par with other mobile platform apps. And they need to leave Snapdragon 200 and 400 processors for phones in 2016. All Lumias with on-die LTE( no 3g only models), at least 1 gb Ram, a FFC and Rear Cameta with Led Flash.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Check the latest #askdanwindows video :) He believes the phones will be released before november and later says anywhere in the upcoming weeks :) So we will see new phones soon

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
At this point im not sure we're getting a successor for the 1020. There were rumors previously, but those have seemingly died down.. The announcement of the new phones could coincide with the launch official launch of w10m, which was set for October (I think). Would make sense to me to display the new OS with new phones :p
Yes but after reading the supposed imaging capabilities detailed in the Snapdragon 820 it would be the perfect marriage for an improved 41 megapixel sensor with maybe a wider aperture. And IF more official apps were in the store by that time, say next fall, a Lumia 1040 would be the heir to the throne of mobile imaging and highly successful with a lot of older arguments out of the way. QuadHD screen and microSD expansion and a thriving Windows 10 Mobile: one could dream.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I agree. With recent restructuring, I admit I'm not seeing Microsoft poised for a niche device like Lumia 1020 successor. Such a waste of acquired Nokia Hardware group though particularly in imaging space.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes but after reading the supposed imaging capabilities detailed in the Snapdragon 820 it would be the perfect marriage for an improved 41 megapixel sensor with maybe a wider aperture. And IF more official apps were in the store by that time, say next fall, a Lumia 1040 would be the heir to the throne of mobile imaging and highly successful with a lot of older arguments out of the way. QuadHD screen and microSD expansion and a thriving Windows 10 Mobile: one could dream.

We will presumably get those niche phones again, if the upcoming phones and updates manage to bring in more users :/ Here's to hoping

Jezza

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Check the latest #askdanwindows video :) He believes the phones will be released before november and later says anywhere in the upcoming weeks :) So we will see new phones soon

The phones may be available, but the carriers and international regions may make it difficult for everyone who wants one to get one as soon as they launch.

I have no doubt that Microsoft will launch the phones before the end of the year, but they're really cutting it fine with the RTM of Windows 10 mobile. The latest build does seem like it's nearing the final stages from what I've read, but you do wonder how many underlying issues may be apparent in the final version when it goes to market. Fingers crossed everything turns out okay.

Something Microsoft really needs to do for W10M is a heavy marketing push. They have been so adamant that they want to leverage their established OS for PCs to improve their mobile market share, it's time they did the same in their advertising for consumers. If I hadn't been reading up on news sites about W10M or Windows Phone in general, I wouldn't have a clue that this is meant to integrate with the PC OS. If they were to run Windows 10 television advertising, they need to show all of their devices working together in one advert and how this benefits the end user.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft should just not release Lumia 940XL version with Snapdragon 810 better release Lumia 940XL with Snapdragon 808 or even Snapdragon 820 early next year, only Lumia 940 with Snapdragon 808 processor.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft should just not release Lumia 940XL version with Snapdragon 810 better release Lumia 940XL with Snapdragon 808 or even Snapdragon 820 early next year, only Lumia 940 with Snapdragon 808 processor.
Well it's pretty much too late for that now. The specs have been all but confirmed and they really couldn't afford to wait for the 820 unfortunately.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99