I've been running a Lumina 1520 for about a year and a half. I've been looking forward to the new Windows 10 flagships, but am not 100% sure I'm going to stick with Windows. Unfortunately, the battery in my 1520 is starting to give out. With very light use, it will be completely dead in less than a day. I used to get nearly two full days of use out of it, but now it's definitely giving out. It still works, but I have to make sure I stay near a charger if I want to use it for anything. I do have insurance on it through AT&T and I submitted a claim. They said they could replace it with an HTC One M8 for Windows. That was disappointing. I don't want to go down to that small of a screen and I definitely don't want to decrease my camera that much.

I feel I have a few different options. I make that exchange and get the HTC and use it until the 950 series comes out, whenever that is and make the change immediately.

My phone/plan is available for upgrade, I could "upgrade" to a Lumina 640 XL and use that for 6 months or so until the "Surface" phone comes out next spring. I could then pay off the small amount I'd still owe on the 640 and upgrade to that.

Or, I upgrade right now to a high end Android phone. Part of me wants to do that anyway because that would fix my app problem, but I like the Windows UI so much, I don't really want to switch.

It's just terrible timing for my battery to be going out now and now sometime next month. With that in mind, what do you guys recommend or do you have any other possible solutions? First world problems, right?
    09-12-2015 04:16 AM
    We, Windows users learnt patience, Soon, beta , etc...

We waited months for Nokia firmware, I'm sure you can wait one more month!

My father owns a920, in a really bad condition, it's still working though, but he's waiting for the next big thing ... The 950
    09-12-2015 04:50 AM
    What about buying new battery and replacing it? I don't think it will be that much expensive.
    RumoredNow and stevesu like this.
    09-12-2015 04:57 AM
    What about buying new battery and replacing it? I don't think it will be that much expensive.
    Exactly. If you like your current phone, replace the battery at minimal cost and wait for the new phones to come out.
    RumoredNow and stevesu like this.
    09-12-2015 09:26 AM
    New Battery...

The BeastPhoneTM​ can still live on.
    stevesu likes this.
    09-12-2015 11:49 AM
    Of you really want something now, the Microsoft Lumia 640 XL has an amazing battery life, a good camera and a strong design. But the HTC one m8 is also really good, a nice metal design and great speakers. You can always compare the two on the internet. But I recommend you wait just a couple of weeks more for the Microsoft Lumia 950/950 xl to be announced and check them out. They are going to be the newest additions to the Windows phone line. But if you don't like them the Microsoft Lumia 640 XL and the HTC one m8 are amazing Windows phones.
    09-12-2015 12:07 PM
    I'd bite the bullet and use the M8 for a few months. As you said yourself, you want to stick with Windows Phone and you want to upgrade to the 950/XL when it comes out. So I don't see any reason to spend your money on what is essentially a burner. I don't think the M8 is so bad that you couldn't last six months with it.

Granted, I don't know what you're finances are like. Maybe $250 for a 640XL is no big deal. If so, go for it. You might even appreciate having a backup phone. Heck, you might like it so much that you keep it longer than six months.
    09-12-2015 12:33 PM
    Or...expansys have a 1520 on sale for 170$, B grade (don't know what that means, second hand?). Get rhe M8, sell it, buy the 1520 from expansys and have a reasonable amount of money left for upgrade?
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-12-2015 03:53 PM
    I've looked into that. The problem is that, from various sites, battery price ranges from about $25 to $170. No real way to determine which ones are good and why, at least not that I could find. I'd hate to go through the trouble and risk damaging my phone to replace my dying battery with a shoddy one.
    09-14-2015 06:53 PM
    On this site, I found the original battery is a 3,400mAh.
    Nokia Lumia 1520 battery life test
    On Amazon, I found higher capacity batteries for $10!!! (3,500mAh) I think for $10, you should give it a shot and report back to us.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...pUvbUpU3226323
    RumoredNow likes this.
    09-14-2015 07:05 PM
    3rd party batteries can be quite good. Just check reviews.
    xandros9 likes this.
    09-15-2015 11:30 AM
    I just bought an unlocked Lumia 640 from Expansys USA last week for $180. This is my third Windows Phone, after the Nokia Lumia 521 and BLU Win JR. I am loving it so far. The 1GB RAM really makes a difference. I am noticing it because both my earlier phones had 512 MB of RAM. I would recommend this phone.
    libra89, RumoredNow and xandros9 like this.
    09-15-2015 10:48 PM
    So I have had 2 1520's. The first one would go crazy and the screen would bounce up and down,drop calls. I replaced it on warranty and the second one worked flawlessly. But then I dropped it and att warranty told me I would have to get the M8 and pay $100.but I really like the Nokia's so I decided to buy an unlocked 1320 from amazon. I like it but can't wait till the 950 comes out.
    RumoredNow and xandros9 like this.
    09-15-2015 11:07 PM
    At this point, I'm just going to hold off and wait for the 950 XL. If my phone dies before then, I'm going to get a Galaxy Note 5. I was at the AT&T shop playing around on it and seeing all the apps available that I want that are unavailable for Windows or apps that have been updated and are vastly superior to the Windows versions made me sad.
    09-16-2015 01:18 PM