Microsoft Lumia Concept (based on L830/L930)

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I've broken everything up, to make sure that everything is centered 100%. In earlier iterations, I had issues centering correctly with all the different elements in the same picture, and it was noticable in the scaled up versions.

Skærmbillede (8160).jpgSkærmbillede (8161).pngSkærmbillede (8162).pngSkærmbillede (8163).pngSkærmbillede (8164).png

Grab the PowerPoint file here.

Update
If you want a better idea of what the phone is like, this Chinese Android phone has almost the exact same dimensions. It doesn't have the same metal frame and removable back, but the front panel is very similar and it's only slightly thicker than my concept. It's made by a company very similar to Nokia (unibody plastic shells, metal frame + plastic back like the L830).

meizu-m2-note (4).jpg

And no, I didn't try to copy it, I made this before discovering this Chinese phone :p

Last edited:

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
This is a beautiful concept, although there should be the MS square logo on the back

This really looks like the Cityman just with a different speaker design, no branding and of course the metallic 930 rim

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
This is a beautiful concept, although there should be the MS square logo on the back

This really looks like the Cityman just with a different speaker design, no branding and of course the metallic 930 rim

Yup, need to get that done. Not really sure where to place the speaker, but I really like how the microphone is placed in the bottom corner on the L830. You don't really see it, so I thought I'd do the same with the earpiece.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Again although this is indeed nice, I dislike that little slit at the bottom to open the back of the phone with (what the 830 has). It doesn't look good to me(it screams cheap imo to be specific). It should instead have a seamless back like on the 930.
And the speaker should be a slit somewhere else, either the top like the 640 XL or near the bottom but not touching the edge, like the 930.

Just my opinion

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Again although this is indeed nice, I dislike that little slit at the bottom to open the back of the phone with (what the 830 has). It doesn't look good to me(it screams cheap imo to be specific). It should instead have a seamless back like on the 930.
And the speaker should be a slit somewhere else, either the top like the 640 XL or near the bottom but not touching the edge, like the 930.

Just my opinion

The earpiece touching the edge allows the front facing camera to be centered, and if they make the grill dark, you won't really notice there's a speaker at all. The slit at the bottom is incorrectly colored at the moment to highlight it. Like the Lumia 830, it'll be the same color as the metal, so you don't really notice it. The pros of a removable back far outweighs the cons of a tiny slit at the bottom, that you can't even see.

RaRa85

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Looks pretty good but the camera button placement is way off. It should always be on the lower half of the phone regardless of what side it's on.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The earpiece touching the edge allows the front facing camera to be centered, and if they make the grill dark, you won't really notice there's a speaker at all. The slit at the bottom is incorrectly colored at the moment to highlight it. Like the Lumia 830, it'll be the same color as the metal, so you don't really notice it. The pros of a removable back far outweighs the cons of a tiny slit at the bottom, that you can't even see.

I didn't say anything about the ear piece lol. I was just talking about the slit on the back of the device, but I see your point :)

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I didn't say anything about the ear piece lol. I was just talking about the slit on the back of the device, but I see your point :)

You said "And the speaker should be a slit somewhere else, either the top like the 640 XL or near the bottom but not touching the edge, like the 930." I assume you're not talking about the rear-firing speaker grill, because it's not a slit.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
You should add the four square MS logo (not the slanted one, that's the Windows logo) to the back.... Like the surface 3.

You should add since images with them displaying the start screen too :D

This really is a beautiful concept. Wish the 950 & 950 XL looked a little more like this. Best concept I've seen for the upcoming flagships.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
You said "And the speaker should be a slit somewhere else, either the top like the 640 XL or near the bottom but not touching the edge, like the 930." I assume you're not talking about the rear-firing speaker grill, because it's not a slit.

I was saying the rear speaker should be a slit and near the top like the 640 XL or near the bottom but not at the edge like the 930.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Oh yeah, just noticed that xD. I think the speaker either needs to be in the frame or front-facing in a flagship 2015 smartphone.

I think front facing speakers would be nice too, but instead of making them "out there" like HTC, they should go the way of the Surface Pro 3 and make them discreet slits...

Mathias Lindberg

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I think front facing speakers would be nice too, but instead of making them "out there" like HTC, they should go the way of the Surface Pro 3 and make them discreet slits...

The Surface Pro 3 design is the one I've used in earlier concepts, but they'd probably have to be at the top and bottom. The Surface bezels are much larger on the left and right. I think it's a really nice design, and the speakers sound great.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon