Did your opinion about 950 and 950XL change after seeing the press slides?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
They definitely look better than the initial renders. The phone at an angle sort of has that lumia 830/930 mix. I'm still not a fan of that bezel at the bottom. Typically you have something there if you need bezel. Motorola released a 5.7 inch phone with so little bezel it's smaller than iphone 6 plus. Iphone 6 plus at least has a button there. The on bezel buttons would make it look better because it gives the bezel a purpose. Now I would still have to see it in person. The 950Xl is likely the phone I want to buy. But now I'm hearing that MS may actually let carriers take over the update process again. It seems only Apple has the power to do it themselves. So if that's the case I may not stick around with Windows. It will become another android nightmare. It's a huge shame because I do love Windows mobile, but we can't expect everyone to run insider preview apps just to get their updates.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
No, we barely saw any 950 images. It was mostly the 950 XL, and the issues I had (on-screen nav buttons, split volume buttons) are still there. I didn't see a shot of the 950's back to dispute the presence of that hideous metal ring.

What DID change is my interest in these things. The $750+ pricing is a joke on a good day, and Microsoft's marketshare and lack of a major phone release in over a year doesn't make this a good day. If these things launch at $650+ in the U.S. I won't be buying them. They're simply not worth the price tag, but that stupid iris scanner is raising the cost. They're using inferior parts to the iPhone 6S and supposedly going to charge the same price or more. They can't be serious.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Damn it jaimeastin,
you nailed it (although I kinda lost you when talking about bikes) :p

This devices are the flagships Windows 10 needs, they have the unmistakable Lumia look (and certainly build quality) and specs to keep you happy for at-least 2 years.
Just don't forget that you are in the Windows Phone world, not the iPhone, nor the Android.
While every single manufacturer copy the most recent iPhone looks, Lumia just passes through without even caring about this craze.

Well I'm always speaking from my side and the first thing I hate, is ''borrowing'' someone else's ideas and presenting them as yours *cough* samsung, xiaomi, huawai, etc.. (on the looks department)

Specs on those two devices are top notch BY ANY STANDARDS. I won't say more about them.

They are targeting people that love WP and want the best experience in the WP space, I don't care if Android or iPhone have better specs, it is just not relevant because none of them can run WM!

As long as renders go, they just can't show the reality, nor bring justice to the design!
I was looking at every single photo before buying the 730,renders, countless videos, but just nothing could bring to me a clearer view than HOLDING it in my own hands.. To tell you the truth from renders and photos I couldn't see the beauty, it looked like a rectangle brick...

So,
specs: check (more than enough without any single weak point)
design: ??? (renders can't bring justice, you need to use it to see for you self)

Vijay_Anand

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I have nothing again the 950... And will get one or the XL day one... Before my 1520 broke, I was a little hesitant due to what more could I want? Even the 640 I am using now, I am very happy with.

I just don't get all the complaining... You all want a windows phone... Yet you want it to be a a galaxy or an iPhone rather than it being unique as it is. There is nothing cheap about this phone... This phone is designed with function in mind rather than marketing what premium is...

I was in apple yesterday picking up an iPhone 6s with my girlfriend... My nephew has the galaxy 6 edge... These phones feel awesome and light... Yet people cannot wait to put some ugly case on them... **** design when you will **** it up with a case....

Windows with poly body is customizable, replaceable, durable, and allows for uniqueness. Storage minimum is 32 which is standard. Real expandable storage that you can use for more than media, apps... Who else does this? This phone has a dedicated camera button, again who else does this? I dont need curved glass... I need my phone to be usable in its default state.

It makes me laugh at people complaining about things and wanting things... I mean most of the complainers will either get the phone still... Or will go to another platform... Great, why limit yourself.?! I equate the whole premium thing to buying a bike... Almost everyone dreams about a full carbon fiber bike, yet a steel or aluminum fram might be better... It all depends on the application... Most people do not know what they want... All they know is they don't want to look cheap or like they cannot keep up with the Jones. Bike stores know this and play on this... Most do not mind selling you more than you need cause it will do the basic riding that you want and it feels really good.. But you want use it or appreciate it anyhow... But you will show it off and be happy that you have it... Cool...

It's ok, you look at my bike... Scoff and pass by me with your nose in the air.. But I will be that guy cranking by you again just to do ans show that me in my cargo shorts rather than aero gear just smoked you up that hill cause its about skill... Same with phone or computer... I dont care how it looks ans feels, I care how it works. It is a tool for me.

Super long post... Just buy what you want...you dont want this phone, dont buy it... But most people hear just want onw to go to another camp to say, look at me... If you want to compete with them so bad, go t get the phone they have... Otherwise own and embrace windows... It is rruely the unique pone and the company who is truly thinking different.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

npoe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I liked the phones; they are not awesome and by awesome I mean like the Nokia N8 which is the most awesome looking phone that will be ever be built or dreamt; another phone I like a lot is the HTC M8.

I have to add that the phone is in line with I would expect and want. More often that I would like, I think that a lot of people get paid to complain.

Now, price is something that might really stop me from buying the phone.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
First it was specs, then apps, now its design that doesn't matter to WP's appeal bit still to the MDDF )Microsoft Delusional Defense Force) its the best OS. Trying to figure out why only WP/10M is the only platform that doesn't need any of the things that makes modern smartphones attractive....

And BTW, I'm pretty sure no one asks for the new phones to look like an iphone but when you're playing to the crowd the safe jibe makes sense.....
Sent from my Lumia 1020

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I sort of liked the XL initially and now like it more. Any chance that blue makes it to market? Curious that these new leaks do not shed any more light on the 950 and focus on XL. I would rather get the 950 over the XL but I'm shallow and it looks better, so bigger pockets it is.... Please please please launch the blue...

twint7787

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
First it was specs, then apps, now its design that doesn't matter to WP's appeal bit still to the MDDF )Microsoft Delusional Defense Force) its the best OS. Trying to figure out why only WP/10M is the only platform that doesn't need any of the things that makes modern smartphones attractive....

And BTW, I'm pretty sure no one asks for the new phones to look like an iphone but when you're playing to the crowd the safe jibe makes sense.....
Sent from my Lumia 1020

Thank you.
These phones are bland and REGULAR people aren't going to buy them. PERIOD. But what is that you say? These phones aren't for regular folk, they're for WP enthusiasts? Well it seems that most of us are disappointed with the design; 50-50 split AT BEST. In order for me to INVEST in this phone it would need to check every box and it does not do that (comes close though).
Dropping $750 on a phone? What is the best investment even for a current WP user? iPhone 6S Plus? Note 5? 950 XL? The way I see it two phones have every app you could ever want, look great, and are GUARANTEED to be supported.

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
They look chunky, yes, but they also look quite thin. Looking at a 640XL doesn't make it appear all that special, but the sharp back edges do still give it a nice feel and look. If they combine that quality with a thinner design (thin is in, right?), I think I may grow to really like the 950 lineup. Will I get it on day one? That remains to be seen if I can get it with COLOR. I have grown quite fond of my green 930. The only thing I wish I had on it is LTE.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Specs look good. I'm happy to see integrated wireless charging in both phones, not just the xl. Design is disappointing. Not that it matters, but they will be destroyed in the press reviews for being plastic.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
they will be destroyed in the press reviews for being plastic.
They will be destroyed in the press reviews for not being iPhone and they would be even if they were made of diamond encrusted platinum with racing stripes. I'll buy a 950 XL regardless if only the Exclusivity Demon allows.

illy khan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I was hoping all these leaks to be false.
I love Windows mobile. Smooth, personal, stable, compatible. But that is just software.
A flagship phone must be combination of design, specification and functionality.
1. Design - uninspiring and flat. I do not care how durable is polycarbonat or let say it right - plastic. A flagship must have look and feel... Like 930 has...untill i realised that glance is missing. The devices on the leaks do not have the magic of 930. They look like combination of 640 front and 830 back. With hump that is awful looking, even with chrome ring will be worst. And with this protruding camera module they did not succeeded to implement xenon flash? Fail.
I do not want my phone to be 6.something mm thin, but if it is 8 or even 9mm i want to be flat, without hump.
2. Specification - some maybe good. 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM, SD slot. Despite that SD 808 and SD 810 have issues, windows was never suffer from hardware problems like Android. Rumored iris scanner for me is useless instead of fingerprint one in place of home button. Why? Imagine that you are on meeting and want quick to unlock your phone that laying on the table or is in your jacket. Most quick and convenient was is to press home button and fingerprint scanner to unlock the device. You CAN'T put it to scan you iris. At least you must place the phone in front of your face. So, it is not quick and comfortable IMO. But lets say specs are 50-50.
3. Functionality - i think this is best of all. Totally support windows mobile and hope to grow.

So, was little long opinion but my conclusion: bad design, 50-50 specs and thumbs up for functionality. Total: 50:50. That is bad result for a flagship that must be sells driver for upcomming Windows phone 10.
IMO.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I liked the phones; they are not awesome and by awesome I mean like the Nokia N8 which is the most awesome looking phone that will be ever be built or dreamt; another phone I like a lot is the HTC M8.

I have to add that the phone is in line with I would expect and want. More often that I would like, I think that a lot of people get paid to complain.

Now, price is something that might really stop me from buying the phone.

See and this is all about taste because the n8 just makes me shudder. And HTC m8 could be better but HTC loves to waste bezel just to show the HTC logo. To me small bezel is important. I like large screens but I don't want the phone to grow with the screen. So as far as design is concerned the phones with the least bezel are better designed. Whether they look better is another story. The new Moto does look good in the right configuration. They let you customize colours and all that. LG makes good use of bezel too but their design hasn't really changed much and they are not really taking risks. The Samsung looks really nice but the wrapping screen morphs.

When I was in the Apple store the other day looking at the Rose Gold iphone. Even the button is outlined around in rose gold. The attention to detail is really great. This is designed by an artist and engineers. Now Microsoft's phone doesn't look bad in the new slides, but you can tell it was designed by engineers. The way things are placed, it's all there for functionality.

Now iphone 6 has too much bezel for my liking. If they got rid of the bezel they would have the perfect phone Even the side bezel seems excessive. So right now there really isn't a perfect phone out there that I would say is the ultimate design. Apple just looks the best. Others have better use of bezel. So I will see how this new one looks. Usually the screen is what will catch your eye.

iphone6s_rose_gold-100613499-orig.png

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
OH WOW, reading these posts has me rolling on the floor, everyone complained for over a year about no new Windows flagship phones for the Windows faithful as they passed up the best one to date ( HTC M8 ) because it was not a Lumia, and now finally Microsoft has some great new ones coming and here you are picking them apart. Is it the Windows OS you like or is it what it comes in? Reading these post has me believing it is more about looks than it is about the hardware, specs and software. Are they one of the best looking phones? NO, but 90% of you are going to put a case of your choice on them anyway. Two screen choices, wireless charging, expandable memory, good camera, Windows 10 and you are going to stomp your feet because it comes with hubcaps and not chrome rims. If that is all you really think about you would be better off going to Android or Apple if you are after all the fluff they have plenty.

Gustavo Sanchez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the reason was that we waited for so long, we were left with the hope of some distant flagships coming our way while everything MS was introducing to the market was cheap stuff. So much time passed that the expectations for those flagships went through the roof, especially since friends in competing platforms had several flagship iterations while we sat on 2-3 year old flagships. Now the flagships are out, and they look like expensive versions of the cheap phones that preceded them. How's that for a downer? I miss the old Nokia times, when I just got 920 and the future was showing us the 1020 and the 1520. Those were the good times!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)