Did your opinion about 950 and 950XL change after seeing the press slides?

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
These new phones make me hope my Lumia 1520 doesn't break.

Well, I am bummed out I did break my 1520, the 950xl has all I wanted from the 1520... Looks better too. I mean man, we have had in many peoples opinions, some great looking lumias... What did they do for sell?! Nothing. Each one of those offerings were crippled in some way... Blame Nokia.

Microsoft is finally getting all "we" want in one bag. The 950 is a great start. Kinda reminds me of the 900 to 920 release... Here is a quick nice phone (900), but we are gearing up to release the best very soon... (920). Less than a year and such a solid effort.

All the 1520 was... Is big. Flat screen, buggy, crippled depending on the carrier, and did not help sells... Lower end models sold better than it.

We all have opinion ans choice, which they all should be exercised... I just don't see much special about bashing the new phones when they are designed with function, purpose, and component wise, executed all top points. The phone ia unique ans will stand out, which I like ans want it to.... That is the lumia way.

Outside of this design, what do "you all" want? App fap, what's other phones doing that I cant now?! I have not personally found a gotta have feature on any of them... So I stay where I have bee happiest over these years... Windows... And I almost bought an iPhone on Friday... But I am holding out for Oct. 6 for a really grip of information before I go crazy on some leaks and internet opinion.

Joe Acerbic

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You CAN'T put it to scan you iris. At least you must place the phone in front of your face. So, it is not quick and comfortable IMO.
Quite many seem to think you must use it like a wall mounted retina scanner in the spy movies: upright, straight, a few inches from your face. It doesn't matter if the phone is in front of your face or on the table, it just needs to be turned so the cameras get a picture of your eye.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I had hoped that the back cover would not extend around the sides. Reminds me of my daughter's old 630.

What I hope they do is have a ton of colours available from day one. I need official, properly fitting back covers.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I have used all of the premium phones, except the M8. I plan to start using one of those next week, to see what that's like. I think I'll hang onto an 830 (rm-985) or a 1520 just in case.

Off them all so far, I think the 930 wins in terms of function and looks.

I do like the look, and have a feeling they'll look better in person. The specs are great. I am afraid the cost will be too high to gain much acceptance though.

If it costs too much, I'll hang onto one of the others until the price comes down. No way I'm going back to apple, and I'm not real thrilled Android either.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
OH WOW, reading these posts has me rolling on the floor, everyone complained for over a year about no new Windows flagship phones for the Windows faithful as they passed up the best one to date ( HTC M8 ) because it was not a Lumia, and now finally Microsoft has some great new ones coming and here you are picking them apart. Is it the Windows OS you like or is it what it comes in? Reading these post has me believing it is more about looks than it is about the hardware, specs and software. Are they one of the best looking phones? NO, but 90% of you are going to put a case of your choice on them anyway. Two screen choices, wireless charging, expandable memory, good camera, Windows 10 and you are going to stomp your feet because it comes with hubcaps and not chrome rims. If that is all you really think about you would be better off going to Android or Apple if you are after all the fluff they have plenty.

Of course it's about looks. That's why I bought the Lumia 830 because it looked good. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise.

I actually didn't mind too much the specs were not that great because windows runs well on it. I don't really play games etc.. But it would be nice to have both. And yes this new one looks pretty good from what we've seen but have to see it in person.

Phones are about looks man. Realize this is a part of you, an extension. It's always with you. A CEO isn't going to go to some business meeting with important clients and bust out some ugly toys r' us phone. They are likely using an iphone.

When people buy cars they buy them for looks. Unless they can't afford to be picky. But if you are shelling out big money, it means you can afford to be picky.

And for me I'm just waiting because my Lumia 830 is good enough. I'll see reviews and what it looks like in person. I want to see what Microsoft does with the update process. If it becomes a carrier/oem driven update process then i'm out. This is really important to me, and probably many users. Apple is my only choice if Microsoft doesn't take control of the update process.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I was hoping all these leaks to be false.
I love Windows mobile. Smooth, personal, stable, compatible. But that is just software.
A flagship phone must be combination of design, specification and functionality.
1. Design - uninspiring and flat. I do not care how durable is polycarbonat or let say it right - plastic. A flagship must have look and feel... Like 930 has...untill i realised that glance is missing. The devices on the leaks do not have the magic of 930. They look like combination of 640 front and 830 back. With hump that is awful looking, even with chrome ring will be worst. And with this protruding camera module they did not succeeded to implement xenon flash? Fail.
I do not want my phone to be 6.something mm thin, but if it is 8 or even 9mm i want to be flat, without hump.
2. Specification - some maybe good. 3GB RAM, 32GB ROM, SD slot. Despite that SD 808 and SD 810 have issues, windows was never suffer from hardware problems like Android. Rumored iris scanner for me is useless instead of fingerprint one in place of home button. Why? Imagine that you are on meeting and want quick to unlock your phone that laying on the table or is in your jacket. Most quick and convenient was is to press home button and fingerprint scanner to unlock the device. You CAN'T put it to scan you iris. At least you must place the phone in front of your face. So, it is not quick and comfortable IMO. But lets say specs are 50-50.
3. Functionality - i think this is best of all. Totally support windows mobile and hope to grow.

So, was little long opinion but my conclusion: bad design, 50-50 specs and thumbs up for functionality. Total: 50:50. That is bad result for a flagship that must be sells driver for upcomming Windows phone 10.
IMO.

Yah but iris scan is about security and these phones will be used by enterprises too. And you shouldn't be using your phone during meetings. And you can always bend your head down like you're looking at something and pop it up hehe.

But to be fair the 810 is v2.1. This has been proven to fix all the issues of the original 810. Read the reviews.

Varun Rajan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Design is not inspiring neither convenient. And after 6 months of release when all the talks of the continuum, the latest OS features and the camera subsides, this phone and its hump is just gonna stare at you.

wilsey

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
It looks good after a while.
Now.. I just hope they better came out with something extraordinary with the camera. Haven't heard anything about the technology that these phones will use.
920 introduced OIS. 950?

Last edited:

illy khan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Yah but iris scan is about security and these phones will be used by enterprises too. And you shouldn't be using your phone during meetings. And you can always bend your head down like you're looking at something and pop it up hehe.

But to be fair the 810 is v2.1. This has been proven to fix all the issues of the original 810. Read the reviews.
For me fingerprint is secure enough and most important - more convinient to use. Also during meeting you can use your device to check something without disturbing others etc.
Will not comment how i must bend my head :)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
For me fingerprint is secure enough and most important - more convinient to use. Also during meeting you can use your device to check something without disturbing others etc.
Will not comment how i must bend my head :)

Actually fingerprint is super easy to get around. You only need some tape. It's been shown how it can be bypassed with a little effort. An enterprise would prefer something more secure if they have sensitive info on it. If someone wants to bypass fingerprint they can do it with some effort. And before the meeting you can just change your settings not to lock or a larger lock timer. Mines at 15 minutes because I don't like entering my pin constantly. Some have it every time they unlock phone.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I dont think we're gonna have to place our phone and our head in linear, aligned postition, this not a mission impossible movie, lol.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Can you link to a few of those reviews? From my reading, 2.1 is not fixed. Indeed, the name is misleading, as it was only the .1 that is the difference. The one that had the initial issues was 2.0.

Fixed it certainly is not, well according to the press I have seen.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Can you link to a few of those reviews? From my reading, 2.1 is not fixed. Indeed, the name is misleading, as it was only the .1 that is the difference. The one that had the initial issues was 2.0.

Fixed it certainly is not, well according to the press I have seen.

Here's one that shows performance issues fixed.

Comparing Snapdragon 810 v2 and v2.1: More Memory Bandwidth, Higher Clocks

This talks about the heating issues no longer present.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/androi...ave-cured-the-originals-overheating-problems/

Oneplus 2 on the new chip running cooler

http://www.androidheadlines.com/201...-m9-snapdragon-810-temperatures-compared.html

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Ticking more and more boxes for me. I think the white is really nice looking. And the rear and side colours are not visible from the front! Nice one.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12