Did your opinion about 950 and 950XL change after seeing the press slides?

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
3300 mAh removable battery!
MicroSDXC card storage support!
I'm sold......I'm even happy about the Snapdragon v2.1

...? So little confused is the display AMOLED? And does it use Gorilla Glass 4?

I also heard OLED with Gorilla Glass 3

Does anyone know witch one their using?

Gorilla Glass 4 is superior to 3!

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
The green one looks the best to me but unfortunately seems it's not coming so I would settle for the blue polycarbonate one! But again does the color really matter when you have a case? Only a clear case would benefit from a colored phone?

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
a little. but still no wow factor like how we used to when lumia 920 appeared, or 925, or 930. the design looks like lumia 940 with a little inspiration from lumia 1520. i'm not even sure about the placement of buttons on 950xl. the only benefit i see there is we can take snapshots and restart the phone easily using our thumb. i feel like it's like that so that we can easily take a snapshop of a bug and report, and easily restart the phone when it crashes or hangs hehehehe seems we will do that more often in the future -_-

the phone looks good in white, not black, because the silver ring on the camera is not too emphasized. and i think i will like the logo. it's like it's embossed downward and filled with glass so it think it will look good.

but given the current mess of the windows mobile 10. there's no wow factor overall -_- just promises of a good experience such as continuum, quasi-android support, a potential surface phone, that still haven't seen the light of dawn until now. hehehe i'm not sure if i'm going to switch brand for now, or wait in vain.

niyoko

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
No. I've been looking for an upgrade to my Lumia 925, and I've settled on one of these being the choice I go with. The only thing I'm worried about it price. I want the 950XL, just not the price tag that I fear it'll have.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
i just don't get all the complaining... You all want a windows phone... Yet you want it to be a a galaxy or an iphone rather than it being unique as it is. There is nothing cheap about this phone... This phone is designed with function in mind rather than marketing what premium is...

I agree to a severe degree +Like +Thank.

All-glass or glass-dominant bodies are overrated IMO. The Lumia series is smarter for staying on Polycarbonate as far as ergonomics and longevity are taken into consideration.

Last edited:

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Actually fingerprint is super easy to get around. You only need some tape. It's been shown how it can be bypassed with a little effort. An enterprise would prefer something more secure if they have sensitive info on it.
It's not that cut and dry. It depends on the fingerprint sensor. I don't know whether MS will require such security features on WM to meet certain standards, or if OEMs are free to use the same trash sensors most consumer devices ship with, but that's what it will depend on. An example:

http://www.nature.com/news/ultrasound-fingerprint-scanners-amplify-security-1.17904

If iris scanning just uses a standard front facing camera, than that will also be very easy to fool.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Show me proof that TouchID on the iPhone can be bypassed with "very little effort." That is absolutely not true.

Whether this qualifies probably depends on your definition of "very little effort". I think it does, as it's much easier to bypass than a PIN. TouchID was bypassed by CCC mere days after the 5S launched, and they provided a DIY guide anyone can follow:

http://www.ccc.de/en/updates/2013/ccc-breaks-apple-touchid

If you have access to a clean glass surface a person recently touched, you can bypass that person's touchID.

This would not work using the type of sensor I mentioned in my post above.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I like the clean design and lack of metal; I'll take polycarbonate over aluminum any day. However, I will be disappointed if this phone only comes in black and white. I don't mind the blue I've seen elsewhere, but this phone really needs to come in more colors. Unfortunately, given the close-mindedness of consumers I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft is scared out of trying more vibrant colors.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
To answer the question of the post, NO, my opinion did not change after seeing the 950xl press release. I love that phone. My opionion did change on the 950, they ditched the stupid camera lens trim ring in the preview photos to something more like the xl's trim.

CanuckTom

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
A design more towards Samsung's design aesthetic would catch the eye of a large group of consumers who shop by "looks". Having said that, I am interested in the 950 XL but would like to see the 2 offerings pictured next to a 920 and 1520 to get a sense of size prior to purchasing. I am running Win 10 Mobile on my 920 and I am hoping that the icons receive a design makeover for launch, perhaps a more aero style.

ScubaDog

Banned
Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
Maybe the camera matters very little to most of you, but it has always mattered to me. In fact, ANYTHING that can be topped by the competition matters to me. Microsoft completely let this die once they got Lumia from Nokia. Design-wise, Microsoft also collapsed under the complaints by all you who insisted on removable batteries and storage cards. This meant that what I have always felt was the Lumina line's BEST design choices were seen in the 900 and 1020 types. I love the solid feel and colorful options of polycarb and I hate metal or cheaper plastics. I have a 635 for testing and it feels like junk (and performs like junk, too). Any of the devices with removable backs look and feel like cheap toys. And the rest of the specs of the 950 & 950XL are nothing to write home about... they aren't any better than the competition. Finally, Windows 10 is horrible by any measure. Yes, yes, yes, yes, I understand it's only a tech preview right now, but the design choices are horrible compared to WP8.1 and nothing works well. I see "loading" and "resuming" at nearly every turn and Cortana, which I rely on extensively on my 1020, I can't even bear to USE on Win10Mobile. What, exactly, is there to look forward to?

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the camera matters very little to most of you, but it has always mattered to me. In fact, ANYTHING that can be topped by the competition matters to me. Microsoft completely let this die once they got Lumia from Nokia. Design-wise, Microsoft also collapsed under the complaints by all you who insisted on removable batteries and storage cards. This meant that what I have always felt was the Lumina line's BEST design choices were seen in the 900 and 1020 types. I love the solid feel and colorful options of polycarb and I hate metal or cheaper plastics. I have a 635 for testing and it feels like junk (and performs like junk, too). Any of the devices with removable backs look and feel like cheap toys. And the rest of the specs of the 950 & 950XL are nothing to write home about... they aren't any better than the competition. Finally, Windows 10 is horrible by any measure. Yes, yes, yes, yes, I understand it's only a tech preview right now, but the design choices are horrible compared to WP8.1 and nothing works well. I see "loading" and "resuming" at nearly every turn and Cortana, which I rely on extensively on my 1020, I can't even bear to USE on Win10Mobile. What, exactly, is there to look forward to?

I respect your opinions.

Speaking only for myself, I'm looking forward to hearing about continuum. I'm looking forward to seeing where they take PureView (it's an all-new sensor, so I'm hopeful for improvements). I'm looking forward to trying out Windows 10 (buggy or not, it's going to be a new experience to try out). I'm looking forward to seeing how (or if) Microsoft has managed to tame the SD810. I'm looking forward to a phablet that isn't quite so large as the L1520 (which was just a tad too big to be comfortable). I'm looking forward to the flexibility that comes with choosing something other than a unibody design--one that isn't glass or aluminum. I'm looking forward to MS taking this step (any step?) forward because the last 18 months has been (largely speaking) a wasteland of low-end offerings (the 640XL was excellent, however).

I don't think a lot of people will agree with me on all these things. But, if I'm being honest with myself, I'm actually looking forward to more things than even I thought.

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to add that about the 950 and 950 XL design is that they're too much akin to some Android phones already existed in the market, worse is that many of them are from midrange to some rather localized Android brands.

AndroidGuruz-Phones.jpgGionee-M2.jpgKarbonn-A9+.jpgMicromax-Bolt-Smartphones-Lowest-price-list.jpgMicromax-Unite-2-A1061.jpgMyPhone-Rio-Craze-Orange.jpg

This is why I'm also disappointed with the new design as if they stopped trying to give uniqueness to Lumia brand and became just another phone in the market. Specs of these devices are respectable while Continuum and Iris Scanner is a features that something to talk about, it remains to be seen. I can see at least Continuum will be the primary thing to get these devices, but the problem is that its not a primary factor for consumers also. Smartphones are very personal devices, that's why design plays a big role here even we put cases on it.

Now we'll really see after these devices arrived on stores and how people and reviews will react to these. Will these devices makes Lumia popular, its remains to be seen but for me, no. Unless they push massive marketing, then regardless of what it looks or how useful the features, marketing will save these phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb