Did your opinion about 950 and 950XL change after seeing the press slides?

aXross

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Well that's the point. Those images shares pretty similar design theme which 950 and 950 XL also now follows. It doesn't have to be exactly similar down to every detail but they're now closely related. Even though we say in general phones looks similar, well of course that's the after effect of touchscreen smartphones these days that glass is dominant at the front. That doesn't mean there is no way to make unique looks, there is still countless of ways possible. Lumia of old for example isn't really close with these images above.

They're not that bad for me, but I think this is another factor where the issue comes from. I've seen and held some of those phones which is why I share them here since they share now to upcoming Lumia flagship.

So yeah, indeed the phone start to look the same including Lumia 950 and 950 XL with these phones. Here is the comparison:
untitled.pngGionee-M2.jpg

fitchalcyone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I would liken those Android designs more like the 500 series before I'd call that a 950. Sure, they carry a flat front and rounded design, but there's more to it than that.

When I hold a 530 at the Microsoft Store, I think of it as a very round and fat phone. That's what the Android compared looks like to me: round and fat. The 950XL, for one, is looking to be crazy thin, which gives a premium effect to it, especially in the perception of current consumers. Also, the squared back edges give off a sharp styling and I liken that to Lumia models like the 930, 640XL, and 830. Finally, you have to factor in the camera modules. I absolutely loved the execution on the 830 because it gives an aggressive look and signals that the phone camera is more than just there to be there. Same idea with the 1020.

Yeah, the phones share a flat back. But it's also the composition of everything on that flat back that give off an impression of what's inside. Don't get me wrong, at first I was seriously mixed about the 950 designs, but as we see them more I'm starting to understand why some things are the way they are. I understand people may want sharper corners on this, but I envision it in my head and see this looking like a big 435. This is all opinion, of course.

Last edited:

illy khan

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
I would liken those Android designs more like the 500 series before I'd call that a 950. Sure, they carry a flat front and rounded design, but there's more to it than that.

When I hold a 530 at the Microsoft Store, I think of it as a very round and fat phone. That's what the Android compared looks like to me: round and fat. The 950XL, for one, is looking to be crazy thin, which gives a premium effect to it, especially in the perception of current consumers. Also, the squared back edges give off a sharp styling and I liken that to Lumia models like the 930, 640XL, and 830. Finally, you have to factor in the camera modules. I absolutely loved the execution on the 830 because it gives an aggressive look and signals that the phone camera is more than just there to be there. Same idea with the 1020.

Yeah, the phones share a flat back. But it's also the composition of everything on that flat back that give off an impression of what's inside. Don't get me wrong, at first I was seriously mixed about the 950 designs, but as we see them more I'm starting to understand why some things are the way they are. I understand people may want sharper corners on this, but I envision it in my head and see this looking like a big 435. This is all opinion, of course.

Totally disagree with you.
I've current 930, 1020 as backup also 808 and lot more Nokia before, like N8 etc.
N8 was genuinely designed phone. Adonised aluminum with unthinkable for that time 12MP module with 3x lossless zoom. Extremely durable from personal experience. Then came the photo monster 808. No words for the camera, but Symbian was dead anyway. Still have it when i get out with the family.
Then came 1020. Camera ok, not like 808 but better sound recording on video. But this hump!!! If you ever use 1020 you'll know what pain in the a$$ is this protruding module. You can put it on the table to look video in landscape, because of the hump is stsying unnaturally tilted. In the hands is the same. Looks awful as a design. Yes. Extremely durable, like my N8 before that.
Then came the beauty 930. Gorgeous design. Even my friends and colleagues with iPhone 5 on that time looked envy on my 930. But was without glance screen. And extremly slow shooting photos! Lets admit that. Maybe one of the slowest shooting phone on the market.
Since then i'm waiting for the next flagship. A lot of time pass. And...
Microsoft came up with this abomination. A front of 640 and the back of 830 in one shape. Ugly and predictable.
To those that speak against metal body - if you had N8 before, you'll know how durable and comfotable aluminum body can be. The polycarbonated body, showed on the leaked pictures does nothing in common with durability of 1020. It is much cheaper look and i'm convinced feel too. For what i need replaceble battery? I had it on my 808 but nevrr used it. Yes, micro sd is needed, but there are a lot of variants with metal or thicker polycarbonate body. This is cheap look. There is no wow, no sexy, no interest.
When I'm buying a phone, there must be few things: very good camera, excellent design and functionality. Windows 8.1 was very functional for me, but windows 10 preview is lagging and very unstable till now. How they will fix it till end of October, when must launch official windows 10 devices? Hope to succeed, but definitely will NOT buy such brick looking lowend device.
Look at Huawei P8. Looks gorgeous in black with 64GB and sd card, that's a presence. So pity that is android...

courtneyg2013

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Same, I thought they looked ok in the initial renders and think they look slightly better in the press slides. would like to see them and hold them to make my final judgement though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes