Lumia 1520 VS the "New" Apple iPhone 6s - (and I am still dying of laughter)

Paul Stoner

May 23, 2015
Visit site
So Apple plops it's new 6s phone with iOS 9...what's so great about it? And people are talking about jumping ship off of Windows Phones?

Apple hit the market with the iPhone running and hundreds of thousands of apps; yeah, it has been the king for a long time. No denying that. But the tide is slowly starting to change...developers are starting to show up with better titles on the Microsoft store, which is fantastic! Yes, it will take time, but let's look at the big aspects of these and try to see what makes more sense...

Processors - Apple iPhone 6s (A9 Dual-Core 1.8 GHz) - Lumia 1520 (Quad Core 2.2 GHz)
Operating System - Apple iPhone 6s (iOS 9) - Lumia 1520 (Windows Phone 8.1 'Denim')
Storage - Apple iPhone 6s (16 / 64 / 128 GB) - Lumia 1520 (32GB)
Expandable Storage - Apple iPhone 6s (N/A) - Lumia 1520 (up to 64 GB, now with Denim update 128 GB)
Camera - Apple iPhone 6s (12 MP) - Lumia 1520 (20 MP)
Display - Apple iPhone 6s (5.5 in @ 1920 x 1080 - 401ppi) - Lumia 1520 (6 in @ 1920 x 1080 - 368ppi)
HWDW - Apple iPhone 6s (158.2mm - 77.9mm - 7.3mm - 192 grams) - Lumia 1520 (162.8mm - 85.4mm - 8.7mm - 206 grams)

When? - Apple iPhone 6s - NOW, Lumia 1520 - TWO YEARS AGO!!!

So, how does an inferior product pass off as new?! Why would people leave the Windows Phone for something less powerful, more buggy, etc..? Now that we all have pretty much confirmed that the 950XL is coming, with Windows 10, and the absolutely INSANE specs that phone has, it makes me feel like people are just not being patient...the 950XL is going to DESTROY the iPhone 6s, hands-down with it comes to what is under the hood. With Windows 10 on it, just plain old - WOW!

You Windows ship-jumpers ought to stop and think about what you are talking about and what is really running under the hood and the quality that you get before you consider switching...

Just my thoughts...

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
So Apple plops it's new 6s phone with iOS 9...what's so great about it? And people are talking about jumping ship off of Windows Phones?

Apple hit the market with the iPhone running and hundreds of thousands of apps; yeah, it has been the king for a long time. No denying that. But the tide is slowly starting to change...developers are starting to show up with better titles on the Microsoft store, which is fantastic! Yes, it will take time, but let's look at the big aspects of these and try to see what makes more sense...

Processors - Apple iPhone 6s (A9 Dual-Core 1.8 GHz) - Lumia 1520 (Quad Core 2.2 GHz)
Operating System - Apple iPhone 6s (iOS 9) - Lumia 1520 (Windows Phone 8.1 'Denim')
Storage - Apple iPhone 6s (16 / 64 / 128 GB) - Lumia 1520 (32GB)
Expandable Storage - Apple iPhone 6s (N/A) - Lumia 1520 (up to 64 GB, now with Denim update 128 GB)
Camera - Apple iPhone 6s (12 MP) - Lumia 1520 (20 MP)
Display - Apple iPhone 6s (5.5 in @ 1920 x 1080 - 401ppi) - Lumia 1520 (6 in @ 1920 x 1080 - 368ppi)
HWDW - Apple iPhone 6s (158.2mm - 77.9mm - 7.3mm - 192 grams) - Lumia 1520 (162.8mm - 85.4mm - 8.7mm - 206 grams)

When? - Apple iPhone 6s - NOW, Lumia 1520 - TWO YEARS AGO!!!

So, how does an inferior product pass off as new?! Why would people leave the Windows Phone for something less powerful, more buggy, etc..? Now that we all have pretty much confirmed that the 950XL is coming, with Windows 10, and the absolutely INSANE specs that phone has, it makes me feel like people are just not being patient...the 950XL is going to DESTROY the iPhone 6s, hands-down with it comes to what is under the hood. With Windows 10 on it, just plain old - WOW!

You Windows ship-jumpers ought to stop and think about what you are talking about and what is really running under the hood and the quality that you get before you consider switching...

Just my thoughts...

I love Windows Phones but...Apple has the economy, marketing, coffers, fan base...they build high quality devices with simple software and good support. I think Windows Phones are better in nearly every way but...just because something is better doesn't mean people will realize it.

LuxuryTouringZone

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
The 1520 was undeniably a beast of a phone, so it's shame that they couldn't make another Windows Phone with a 6" screen, but the 5.7" screen should be good enough for now. The thing with iPhone people is that they don't really care too much about specs, which may explain why Apple hasn't bothered too much with that area.

Vijay_Anand

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I love Windows Phones but...Apple has the economy, marketing, coffers, fan base...they build high quality devices with simple software and good support. I think Windows Phones are better in nearly every way but...just because something is better doesn't mean people will realize it.

I know exactly what you mean, Zachary. I'm a newbie, relatively. Till February, I was using a beautiful Sony Xperia T until it fell on the road face down and it's screen broke. I then bought a Lumia 830 because it was the best specced phone for my budget.

And now, after almost seven months of use, I cannot imagine going back to Android and the wait for the 950 is killing me.

I think people need to experience Windows Phones personally to know just how good it is. Like I did. I heard many people tell me how stable and secure 8.1 is but I never really gave their opinions a second thought. And now I curse myself for not jumping on the Windows Phone bandwagon earlier.

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I really dislike these types of posts as they really are a poor example of comparing the two platforms. Yes we do not want to see Windows Phones look bad compared to the other platforms and especially if you bought a 1520, which at the time of its release was not inexpensive (though less than a comparable iPhone without subsidy).

Here is the problem with the comparison above. Those specs do NOT translate directly. You cannot say the 1520 has a quad core and more ram and therefore it is faster than the Dual Core iPhone (which is even slower per core). It just doesn't work like that in real life. The problem with the above comparison is that the iPhone CPUs are VASTLY more powerful than the average WP or Android owner realizes. They are not using the same CPUs, just running slower than the ones used in WP and Android. This comparison above was with the 1520 and the 6S Plus. This is as pointed out 2 years after the 1520 came out. The problem is that the model that came out the very same cycle as the 1520 (the iPhone 5S) WAS ALREADY FASTER. If you don't believe me I point you to Windows Central's very own article on the matter.

Lumia 1520 beats iPhone 5s in Memory benchmark test, but just misses on the overall win | Windows Central

The 5S even crushes the 1520 in an Antutu benchmark. (1520 comes in around 26K and the 5S at around 37K, the 6 comes in at 46K, the 6S at 57K)

The iPhones only got faster from there. Also if you follow Apple's product cycles you'd know the 6S models were going to look identical to last years models as the S series is always an internal upgrade (mostly).

Come on guys (and gals). Don't do this, it is embarrassing. WP has plenty of positives, don't stoop to spec sheet wars to make yourselves feel better.

Let's also be honest and not try and act like the developers (at this point) actually are starting to care more about WP. It just isn't happening... yet. Hopefully project Astoria and Islandwood help change that, but for right now most developers do NOT care about the WP platform, it just is not cost effective for them.

The 950 and 950XL are coming soon, and they certainly seem well equipped to go up against the other flagships, so lets just focus on the positive there and not try and bash other platforms. You are NOT winning hearts and minds when you do that. If you truly care about the WP platform then you do care about winning hearts and minds, because WP cannot afford to bleed more customers. $20-$40 Lumia phone sales will only take the platform so far.

To the OP, please understand I am not trying to be hostile to you. I appreciate that you are entitled to your opinion and even better I'm glad to hear you love your 1520 still! It is a fantastic phone, even 2 years later!

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I really dislike these types of posts as they really are a poor example of comparing the two platforms. Yes we do not want to see Windows Phones look bad compared to the other platforms and especially if you bought a 1520, which at the time of its release was not inexpensive (though less than a comparable iPhone without subsidy).

Here is the problem with the comparison above. Those specs do NOT translate directly. You cannot say the 1520 has a quad core and more ram and therefore it is faster than the Dual Core iPhone (which is even slower per core). It just doesn't work like that in real life. The problem with the above comparison is that the iPhone CPUs are VASTLY more powerful than the average WP or Android owner realizes. They are not using the same CPUs, just running slower than the ones used in WP and Android. This comparison above was with the 1520 and the 6S Plus. This is as pointed out 2 years after the 1520 came out. The problem is that the model that came out the very same cycle as the 1520 (the iPhone 5S) WAS ALREADY FASTER. If you don't believe me I point you to Windows Central's very own article on the matter.

Lumia 1520 beats iPhone 5s in Memory benchmark test, but just misses on the overall win | Windows Central

The 5S even crushes the 1520 in an Antutu benchmark. (1520 comes in around 26K and the 5S at around 37K, the 6 comes in at 46K, the 6S at 57K)

The iPhones only got faster from there. Also if you follow Apple's product cycles you'd know the 6S models were going to look identical to last years models as the S series is always an internal upgrade (mostly).

Come on guys (and gals). Don't do this, it is embarrassing. WP has plenty of positives, don't stoop to spec sheet wars to make yourselves feel better.

Let's also be honest and not try and act like the developers (at this point) actually are starting to care more about WP. It just isn't happening... yet. Hopefully project Astoria and Islandwood help change that, but for right now most developers do NOT care about the WP platform, it just is not cost effective for them.

The 950 and 950XL are coming soon, and they certainly seem well equipped to go up against the other flagships, so lets just focus on the positive there and not try and bash other platforms. You are NOT winning hearts and minds when you do that. If you truly care about the WP platform then you do care about winning hearts and minds, because WP cannot afford to bleed more customers. $20-$40 Lumia phone sales will only take the platform so far.

To the OP, please understand I am not trying to be hostile to you. I appreciate that you are entitled to your opinion and even better I'm glad to hear you love your 1520 still! It is a fantastic phone, even 2 years later!

Well said.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
OP is just lame. I think iPhone users are laughing at our Windows Phone apps availability since long time ago. They are also laughing why are WP users keep on seeing Resuming and Reloading nonsense while iOS switches apps flawlessly. iPhone is using the best Touch ID experience and the rest of the world are riding on the fingerprint scanning waves while MS is trying with something new called Iris scanning. We don't even know if the consumers world care about it at all.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I think iPhone users are laughing at our Windows Phone apps availability since long time ago. They are also laughing why are WP users keep on seeing Resuming and Reloading nonsense while iOS switches apps flawlessly.

Yes, iPhone and Android fans are all laughing. I use Android, but I'm not necessarily a fan. I just like it because of functionality. I'd switch to WP in a heartbeat if my mobile needs were met.

Imagine an iPhone or Android fan glancing over these forums for the last couple years. Here's a rough review of what they would have read:

• WP7.8 is coming! (and along with this, whatever it was going to do to make WP perfect and kill iPhone and Android)
  • WP8 is coming!
  • Black is coming!
  • Cyan is coming!
  • Denim is coming!
  • W10M is coming!
  • WP doesn't need good hardware like Android!
  • iPhone has crappy hardware and is overpriced!
  • Android is a bloated laggy security hole!
  • Consumers can't wait until their two year contracts are up so they can get a Windows Phone!
  • Apple is overpriced; why pay three times as much for the same performance?
  • Apple and Google are going DOWN!
And yet, their preferred platforms continue to sell like gangbusters and break sales records, while WP plods along. Yeah, they're laughing!

Last edited:

princeegli

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
Sorry....the 1520 is faster than a 5s....its only displaying benchmarks on a 6inch 1080p screen...instead of the tiny screen on the 5s....that it will lose on some numbers,still a better spec phone.

Mark Wright1

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes, iPhone and Android fans are all laughing. I use Android, but I'm not necessarily a fan. I just like it because of functionality. I'd switch to WP in a heartbeat if my mobile needs were met.

Imagine an iPhone or Android fan glancing over these forums for the last couple years. Here's a rough review of what they would have read:

• WP7.8 is coming! (and along with this, whatever it was going to do to make WP perfect and kill iPhone and Android)
  • WP8 is coming!
  • Black is coming!
  • Cyan is coming!
  • Denim is coming!
  • W10M is coming!
  • WP doesn't need good hardware like Android!
  • iPhone has crappy hardware and is overpriced!
  • Android is a bloated laggy security hole!
  • Consumers can't wait until their two year contracts are up so they can get a Windows Phone!
  • Apple is overpriced; why pay three times as much for the same performance?
  • Apple and Google are going DOWN!
And yet, their preferred platforms continue to sell like gangbusters and break sales records, while WP plods along. Yeah, they're laughing!

I think all of those things were true to a large degree...
The thing for some like yourself is the apps.... and you are right to pick the platform that offers what you want.
But in fairness all of those comments are independent of apps.... (except maybe the down comment lol)

My app usage is not huge so I don't really care... Yes the occasional "must have" app appears and I use it for 5 minutes and move on.
But I do have all the banking apps except one(ANZ). The thing is once you're outside the US many of those apps either don't work or are a sub-par experience (see Netflix au any platform). In the US its a worse situation due to less local offerings but the rest of the world its really not that much.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Sorry....the 1520 is faster than a 5s....its only displaying benchmarks on a 6inch 1080p screen...instead of the tiny screen on the 5s....that it will lose on some numbers,still a better spec phone.
Nope ! Fianc? 5c is as fast or faster than my 1520. In comparison with same apps and launching web .

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
http://img1.mydrivers.com/img/20150926/ec70f818442b49d2858c043635732498.jpg

Just a quick reminder that clock speed doesn't equal to actual speed. Plus the new iPhone using NVMe NAND which provide much faster speed than eMMC not to mention the slow, unsafe SD card and those things just hard to tell on the SPEC.

iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus Preliminary Results

And really the 20mp camera on 1520 still got the random white balance shift that you can never find in the SPEC sheet. Not to mention the phase-detective auto focus are given the UX into another level.

1520 is a nice product of its time, but two years in 3C is like two decades and really almost everything has changed.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
As a still proud 1520 owner I have to chime in here.

My 1520 in everyday use still outperforms my kids iPhone 6's. Both of them have only had their phones for a few months and one is already complaining about the speed, battery life and a defective haptic feedback motor. The other kid complains about the speed, the haptic motor and after the phone dropped a foot and a half, the broken screen.

My 1520 that I have had for a year and a half still works flawlessly. The buttons, feedback, battery life, everything. It has even been dropped numerous times, once from about 8 feet face down onto gravel, and not a scratch or dent. I even put in in my back pocket and sit on it and it isn't bent. The pictures are amazing, as good as, or even better than my DSLR camera. And people love, what other manufactures try and pass off as new, the living pictures it takes.

And heaven help you if you buy a used iPhone from someone who didn't clear it properly and remove it from their iTunes account. Apple has apparently taken it upon themselves to protect your phone from theft. It used to be that if you had an activation locked iPhone, you could get past it by putting the phone in recovery mode and resetting it to factory defaults. With iOS 9, that has changed. This plays havoc with company owned phones. I have one now that the old user of it decided to up and quit. I went to reassign the phone to his replacement. It is activation locked and when I contacted the old employee he says he 'forgot' the password. Now I have to go through Apple, prove we own the phone, then they may unlock it. Until then, it's a brick.

The bottom line is, that in my experience, the 1520 is still the best phone on the market. At least until the 950/950XL is released.

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
As a photographer i had to cringe when you said it takes photos as good as your DSLR..... However i'm glad you've had a good experience with your 1520! I don't think anyone wants to tear down the 1520, it is just that it frustrates a lot of us when people go on a rant comparing spec sheets and declaring one device better than another based on that.

Honestly the experiences your children have had with their iPhones sound quite poor, which is surprising to me because that sounds like an awful lot of bad luck that both would have such experiences. As someone who owns multiple windows phones, android phones AND almost every iPhone I will say that I have never experienced the problems your children have, neither has my wife, who also has an iPhone, nor my grandparents (both use 5Cs). I think the point is that anecdotal evidence is just that. Everyone will have a difference experience. Keep on rocking the 1520, it is (still) a great phone. No reason to denigrate any of the competitors devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes