Should Microsoft pull the plug on Windows phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel cooper2

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
On a serious note I truly believe its too late for Windows phone. Windows 10 mobile is taking way too long and it still looks and perform terrible. It's too little too late in other words. The leadership and the whole windows mobile team are incompetent. The amount of time they had to work on this it should've been done. Microsoft should pull the plug on Windows phone and get it over with. I can't be the only one seeing this.

Tumultus

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Would you pull the plug on something that sells in the millions? I sure wouldn't!
I understand where you're coming from and, to us, it seems like a snail is a race car compared to what Microsoft is putting out, however, a "one platform" approach needs lots of time and backend work.

This "<insert-company-name-here> pull the plug" arguments are really stupid because we would never see new technologies or companies rising on the market. Just have a look at the OLED TV market for example. Sony made a few tiny TVs a few years ago and we never saw the technology available to the consumer. This year around, LG is doing it and they actually push fully working / featured large consumer grade devices into stores such as Best Buy. I saw one, fell in love and bought it. Now, those OLED TVs are very expensive and LG probably doesn't sell more than a few thousand. Should they pull the plug? Another example: Pebble. When they started with their smart watch, only a handful of people bought their watches. If they would have pulled the plug back then, the company would never have existed in first place.

Microsoft is still busy building their W10 multi platform. The mobile version is far from finished and the only reason why you can complain about a buggy, feature stripped version of W10M is because MS lets you test their current beta (or whatever you will call it). This means, for the time being, there is nothing for Microsoft to push. However, if they do the same mistake after W10M release and don't advertise it or make sure that their products are readily available and buyable in stores - one of the biggest problems we had with WP8.x - then, sure, they should pull the plug because it would then seem like they don't want to sell their products.

Does it mean you should just sit and wait? That's a decision you have to make on your own. I have moved on but I'll be back when I believe that Microsoft's offerings would meet my needs.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
[NOTE]Thread moved since "Ask a Question" was set aside for quick answers for those needing fast help for their device or OS issues.
Thank you for bearing with us.[/NOTE]

greedo_greedy

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
As a consumer I believe that having options and choices are a great thing.

Though Microsoft only has 3% market share, they're quite frankly the only tech company that has the financial backing and resources to take a slice of the market share from Apple and Google.

Competition breeds innovation so I don't believe they should pull the plug.
They never pulled the plug on the Xbox so I don't think they will with phones.

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
I sure hope not! Unless it is costing them a lot of money I would hope they would continue to support the platform. Especially now since Project Astoria and Islandwood have the (potential) to help reduce if not eliminate the App Gap that keeps so many people away or leaving.

skt_diaz

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Ms wont back down that easily. Besides they have many people working on windows 10 mobile. Project astoria will definitely reduce the app gap if few developers start using it. Lets wait for the official release of w10m, then we can assess the future of the platform.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for starting this. We really didn't have enough threads yet where people could whine about the death of Windows and how terrible everything is.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Why another MS should pull out thread.

For the next couple of years all is good. W10M is an alpha / beta release. It isn't going to work as you would like. If more people read the warning BEFORE getting exited, it clearly states that it isn't a finished product.

From what I can gather, it is a ground up development. Unlike android where updates are basically fixes for bugs ( and there are many ). Lollipop, was again, an upgrade from 4.4.4. There isn't a lot in it. The biggest change was ART replacing Dalvik, and then trying to pretty it up. Still android, running a Linux kernel. Apple does what apple does best. Rehashing of OS and devices. They have FULL control over you, and devices that fail / warp at the first sign of rain. They are selling you a lifestyle.

I came from android, where I cooked roms For me, the windows environment is pretty easy to navigate, it doesn't want to know your inside leg measurement, like google, and the devices don't break when subjected to the mildest of knocks.

The other 2 OS companies need competition to keep them honest (sic). With the right marketing (yeah, I know), and actually getting them instore so people can have a play, continuum, Astoria etc, things may look up. Oh, and get the office apps off of android market, unless google play ball

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
On a serious note I truly believe its too late for Windows phone. Windows 10 mobile is taking way too long and it still looks and perform terrible. It's too little too late in other words. The leadership and the whole windows mobile team are incompetent. The amount of time they had to work on this it should've been done. Microsoft should pull the plug on Windows phone and get it over with. I can't be the only one seeing this.

ell oh ell... So what happened you woke up cranky today? Bruh if the platform doesn't do it for you, look for one that does :/ is it really that hard? we're not forcing you to stay :)

Rezelius

Sep 5, 2014
Visit site
While I appreciate that everyone has their own opinion, your conclusion that it look and performs terrible just isn't true. Looks are subjective as always (I personally like the way they are going) and performance, while not perfect, is far from terrible on the 635 I am using.

I don't by any means believe that it is "done" but I do think they are making progress, not as fast as some of us would like to see, but it is moving forward.
So I guess my answer is no, they should not pull the plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077