Why should I buy another Lumia?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm on Windows Phone since the cyan Lumia 800 came out (damn, I loved every single moment with that phone). I converted family members and friends to this platform, some still like it but few are about to switch to something else. After trying different WP devices (HTC 8S, L520, L625, L720, L535) and using Windows 10 on mobile I have no idea where the platform is heading: I like the UI but not the UX.

I wanted my next phone to be a flagship device and intended to buy a 1520 but it's hard to find and the 930 doesn't look as good as previous Lumias plus the metal frame is extremely easy to damage. Upcoming devices (Lumia 950 and 950 XL) look cheap in my humble opinion, but I'll wait to see some real pictures for the final judgement.

On the other side, despite being quite pricey, iPhones looks really nice and have the benefits of the iOS platform. Same goes with latest Samsung S6 line.

So, the question is: Should I buy another Windows device or should I make the switch to iOS / Android?
(please be 100% honest and motivate your answer)

* I love Windows and I'll be kind of sad if I have to switch to another OS but user experience is too important.
** I'm a designer, sent a ton of feedback through to MS, even did some concepts. Really wanted Windows 10 to be great.
*** I have 2 desktops and a tablet running Windows. Continuum is nice but I got this covered.
**** This post may contain grammar errors (I'm not a native speaker).

You seem sound and reasonable, my friend, and I'm sure many of us here can relate to your sentiments. A lot of good advice has already been given so far in this thread (and elsewhere on a similar topic). The key words in your question are "should" and "switch", but then there's the hidden factor of predictability - technology changes, and it changes faster now than any point in popular history, but only those in the highest levels of management know (at least I hope they know) how the it will evolve. And the changes are staggered in a way that'll attract consumers to make as many switches as they can, e.g. from one platform to another, as new features are rolled out slowly, teasingly, enticingly.

It boils down to utility and convenience.

Utility: If one platform, where you've already invested some resources and time in setting everything up, provides you with the tools you need, then why switch? What guarantee do we have that switching over (or remaining) will satisfy all of our future requirements anyway? There will always be holes, and users will always find them as we add up to our ever growing needs and desires - luxury, convenience, laziness, etc. No platform is perfect - otherwise there will be no more room to grow and expand and the business will eventually die.

Convenience: If the holes in one platform are large enough that the compensation or satisfaction of moving or switching over to another platform exceeds the inconvenience it takes to switch, in addition to the time and resources invested in the current platform, then by all means the user is free to switch over.

You were asking for a reason that will make you buy another Lumia - that's something only you can determine with conviction and certainty. Our opinions will be as divided as our individuality. Microsoft's announcement this October 7 may have some impact in your decision-making process, but then a few months later the other platforms would also announce their version of some upgraded concoction, and it'll never end as long as the world as it is doesn't end.

Here's my advice: once the three giants have served their bets up, go to the stores and have a direct look at them. Play through each platform, examine the capabilities of the devices. Complement that with some background research, something I believe you've already been doing. Once you find the tool that best suits your needs, counter-check that with whatever conveniences or inconveniences that may come along the way, decide.

As for grammatical errors, you're fine. As longing youre's sentanced don't quite like thees here wan tym fayn were good. :wink:

Al4video

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Well I'm a big boy asking for opinions. There's nothing wrong with that. Maybe someone had to make the exact same decision :)

I feel the same as you do . Always wondering. But when i think back I felt the same way with my top of the line Android phone as well as my iPhone. I don't think it's windows phone per say, it's just that all platforms are about 10 cents short of a dollar!

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
From personal experience, I dislike the Android and IOS experience much more than I dislike the WP experience. IOS mostly due to iTunes and the lack of a back button. Android mostly due to the general fragmentation of the experience. For me the choice is pretty easy choice to stick with with the Windows mobile ecosystem.

As stated above, you really need to play with each of the 3 environments to make an informed decision.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps that is the difference as almost all cards in Europe have contactless chip and if you don't have one just ask your bank and they will send you a new one with NFC chip. Is this not the same in the US?

They are coming, but, in the US, they want to do everything with their phones.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Payment via phones...

I can use my card on the beach (wet or dry)
I can use my card basically everywhere
I can use my card when my phone battery is dead
I can use my card without having to think 'phone' or 'card'
I can use my card without dislocating my shoulder trying to get an iWatch to mate with a reader
I can use my card without Apple getting a cut of my purchase price
I can use my card without thinking...

Sometimes simple is the best way. Change is not always good.

It seems that for most people, especially in the US, if their phone dies life ends.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Just hold your horses. Wait and see if are there significant improvements to the app availability and supports before spending your hard earned cash on this platform.

metroversal

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Hey folks, thank you so much for the feedback! After watching the Microsoft Devices Event (which was super cool by the way), I finally decided to take a break from Windows Phone.
The new Lumias offer really great hardware specs, Continuum is cool and Windows Hello is awesome too but I believe that anyone who saw the Event could see the difference between how they presented the Lumias and how the presented the Surface devices. The latter were absolutely glorious! I mean, they were outstanding from A to Z. I want my next phone to be premium like a Surface, unfortunately the new 950 and 950XL just can't. I'm not saying that they look totally bad, but they feel uninspiring.
I'm going to try the iPhone 6S, and try do get why it's so praised. I never owned an Android device or an iPhone (yeah, I'm definitely a MS fan boy lol) so this is definitely the right moment to give a try to something different than Windows Phone.
Anyhow, I'm not entirely done with Windows phones, I still have 4 Lumia phones, and will definitely check how the situation evolves.
In the coming months Windows 10 will get refined, the ecosystem will grow, and hopefully the former-Nokia team will integrate more with the Surface team.
If that happens I will sell the iPhone and turn back to the OS I belong, until that day I will keep waiting for a Surface Phone.

Hope you guys understand.

(again, sorry if I made grammar errors)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro