Why should I buy another Lumia?

metroversal

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I'm on Windows Phone since the cyan Lumia 800 came out (damn, I loved every single moment with that phone). I converted family members and friends to this platform, some still like it but few are about to switch to something else. After trying different WP devices (HTC 8S, L520, L625, L720, L535) and using Windows 10 on mobile I have no idea where the platform is heading: I like the UI but not the UX.

I wanted my next phone to be a flagship device and intended to buy a 1520 but it's hard to find and the 930 doesn't look as good as previous Lumias plus the metal frame is extremely easy to damage. Upcoming devices (Lumia 950 and 950 XL) look cheap in my humble opinion, but I'll wait to see some real pictures for the final judgement.

On the other side, despite being quite pricey, iPhones looks really nice and have the benefits of the iOS platform. Same goes with latest Samsung S6 line.

So, the question is: Should I buy another Windows device or should I make the switch to iOS / Android?
(please be 100% honest and motivate your answer)

* I love Windows and I'll be kind of sad if I have to switch to another OS but user experience is too important.
** I'm a designer, sent a ton of feedback through to MS, even did some concepts. Really wanted Windows 10 to be great.
*** I have 2 desktops and a tablet running Windows. Continuum is nice but I got this covered.
**** This post may contain grammar errors (I'm not a native speaker).

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
OP, many folks are in your shoes. Perhaps you should figure you what works best for you. As a dual user (WP + Android) I feel I have the best of both worlds for my current needs. WP isn't my daily driver anymore, but if my priorities change, that can change easily. If iOS offers you the best choice, go for it. Good thing is that it is easier to come back to the Windows space if you like where the OS is going.

Posted approved via Moto Maxx

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Because of the look and feel of it. Don't you want to be a little different? C'mon you know you do. Leave android and iOS to the conforming masses and enjoy life on the outside of the circle :)

Satyendra Nair

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I've had the same dilemma. But look, in the end it's all about what you need. It's not about what is different, it's about what you need.
Oh, and as a current WP user, I would suggest you hang around a bit for the final release of W10M. Maybe, just MAYBE your opinion on the UX could change with what they decide to showcase.

After all, your phone is a tool. Don't let the tool choose you. Choose the tool you want.

Ivan05il

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I was lucky to get L1520 when it was introduced and until it dies I am not looking for a replacement. I'd like it to be another Windows phone, but I am not impressed with a reality of "Windows as a service", W10 desktop still ironing out bugs and W10M not even in a beta shape. But I do not see an alternative either. I was setting up Samsung Note 4 for my brother and it's a beautiful HW, but I do not like the OS and I don't like Alphabet. As for Apple, I'd pay through the nose for what I'd want (iPhone 6S+) and I'd get Apple's walled garden on top of it. I am not ready to make this decision yet. I'll see what is available at the time I'll need a new phone. I want it to be a Windows phone.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
Because of the look and feel of it. Don't you want to be a little different? C'mon you know you do. Leave android and iOS to the conforming masses and enjoy life on the outside of the circle :)

I can't say Microsoft is outside of the circle (where Google and Apple are in)
This would only be true if he choose a Jolla phone at the end! :p

OP, I'm suggesting you, if you have not done already, to look at Apple devices as they are closer to WP philosophy as they are to Android (in my humble opinion)
I'm out and away from Android more than 1 year and I'm not missing it in the slightest.
You mentioned that the UX of W10m is not suiting your needs (which by the way is in kinda-beta form) so in this department alone iOS is a one way road..

I've used extensively all 3 OSs and I can tell you that iOS and WP are by a long shot better for navigating around and generally doing stuff than Android.

I also bought for my mother an Xperia M2 almost a year ago and it is pretty close to my 730's specs (cpu-ram-screen-battery wise) and I have to tell you that the choppiness allover the place is driving me nuts! Yes, it opens up apps faster but I'm experiencing 60fps once in a while!
DISCLAIMER: when I play fifa online, and the other player has bad Internet connection (dropping frames), I will immediately end the match as I can't stand lag/choppiness , it makes me dizzy very quickly! :p

Anyways, I think you can't form an opinion only by our experiences with OSs. You have to go out there and use them as you normally would and decide which one suit your needs!
For me, it is WP (W10m) as it does what I want effortlessly.. Well yeah, I know edge browser crashes out of the blue and there are all kind of weird glitches going on, but I respect that it is still in a beta-like form and I know that this things will be squashed out eventually! :p

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
I think everything is pretty much said. You have to see if your phone with windows can cover all your needs. If it does, don't switch. I was about to change to Android last month because I was impressed by the things I could do with that OS that I cannot with my Lumia. In the end, I didn't buy the phone. I thought about what do I need and my current phone can cover everything I ask for (or most of it at least). It's true it would be nice to have a lot of the settings that I like and I don't have on my WP, but I don't like the things I'd lose by switching. However, if I have to buy a phone today, it wouldn't be one with WP.
Think about the things you need and can't do with your phone. For example, Android pay is not available in my country, so if windows don't have it yet, I'm not worried. But if it was, I may change my phone.

tmaier

May 5, 2015
Visit site
... For example, Android pay is not available in my country, so if windows don't have it yet, I'm not worried. But if it was, I may change my phone.

Why are people going bananas about phone payments is beyond my understanding. Just tap your damn plastic - that's it, done.
Y'all are falling for Apple marketing without even realising.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poirots Progeny

Dec 22, 2013
Visit site
Why are people going bananas about phone payments is beyond my understanding. Just tap your damn plastic - that's it, done.
You make some very good points.
However .
This is the future and whatever Apple does seems to become the norm. Forget the tech for a min and realise that msft not having something means less support from banks, devs etc. Support is already pathetic. This is a problem msft doesn't need. If msft wants broad adoption they should try to adopt as many convenience techs as possible, ensuring that there is at least the illusion of a level playing field. Otherwise - well it's bad luck. These insular management decisions are the reason why msft is in this mobile hole in the first place. They laughed off apps and a mobile ecosystem. I remember when rim and msft were the only serious game in town. It would be foolish to dismiss forward thinking tech because it doesn't fit some consumers view of the world. They're the massive minority. Apple and android dictate trends. They create them. Msft doesn't do that. They're not even close to doing that. Yet. Bring on windows mobile. Again. We're coming full circle lol

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

Precisely I don't need nor want that kind of payments, but it's the feature that I thought first because I was reading other post about this. It's the same that saying "Do you want Snapchat? Then go to Android or iOS". What I mean is that, if WP covers your needs (you don't payments, snapchat or whatever feature that is missing in WP) then stay, otherwise, switch platform.

gwinegarden

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site

Unless it has come in, recently, the US is far behind in chip cards. They have been trying for years to get it in with great resistance. But Apple brings it out on a phone, and they are falling over themselves to implement.

Think of this. How many people have a credit card, how many people have a new iPhone?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Simple. Its that 90/10 rule again. You got 90 percent of what you say you love in Windows Phone but the 10 percent you don't have, you are willing to step away from your passion to go get that 10. If you don't plan to keep this platform, why even question it? Just go get IOS or god forbid an android device and be happy. Its all about you anyway. But if you want what this platform has to offer, quit crowd sourcing your phone decisions and let the 10 percent come to you.

No one, especially me is going to beg you to stay.

tmaier

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Unless it has come in, recently, the US is far behind in chip cards. They have been trying for years to get it in with great resistance. But Apple brings it out on a phone, and they are falling over themselves to implement.

Think of this. How many people have a credit card, how many people have a new iPhone?

Perhaps that is the difference as almost all cards in Europe have contactless chip and if you don't have one just ask your bank and they will send you a new one with NFC chip. Is this not the same in the US?

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I'm on Windows Phone since the cyan Lumia 800 came out (damn, I loved every single moment with that phone). I converted family members and friends to this platform, some still like it but few are about to switch to something else. After trying different WP devices (HTC 8S, L520, L625, L720, L535) and using Windows 10 on mobile I have no idea where the platform is heading: I like the UI but not the UX.

I wanted my next phone to be a flagship device and intended to buy a 1520 but it's hard to find and the 930 doesn't look as good as previous Lumias plus the metal frame is extremely easy to damage. Upcoming devices (Lumia 950 and 950 XL) look cheap in my humble opinion, but I'll wait to see some real pictures for the final judgement.

On the other side, despite being quite pricey, iPhones looks really nice and have the benefits of the iOS platform. Same goes with latest Samsung S6 line.

So, the question is: Should I buy another Windows device or should I make the switch to iOS / Android?
(please be 100% honest and motivate your answer)

* I love Windows and I'll be kind of sad if I have to switch to another OS but user experience is too important.
** I'm a designer, sent a ton of feedback through to MS, even did some concepts. Really wanted Windows 10 to be great.
*** I have 2 desktops and a tablet running Windows. Continuum is nice but I got this covered.
**** This post may contain grammar errors (I'm not a native speaker).

Add up the plus and the negative and chose which fulfils your needs. After owning the 920, 925, 1520 and now the 640(WM10) I can tell you that I am less likely to switch. I am not the biggest fan of the new Lumias (950 & 950XL) designs, even though the seem to have some real power. But I may consider. I currently own a S4 and all the apps I use on the S4 I have on my WM10 device. So for me I am just waiting for new hardware.

Clive Rennie

May 16, 2013
Visit site
That's something I'm thinking about too, I do have a nexus 6 also in the project fi test plus out of no where received a bundle from project fi a battery charger a case in ear headphones in a nice case a nice gift so I'm hoping Microsoft comes good next week as right now googles line up looks good but I'm holding out till next week.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Payment via phones...

I can use my card on the beach (wet or dry)
I can use my card basically everywhere
I can use my card when my phone battery is dead
I can use my card without having to think 'phone' or 'card'
I can use my card without dislocating my shoulder trying to get an iWatch to mate with a reader
I can use my card without Apple getting a cut of my purchase price
I can use my card without thinking...

Sometimes simple is the best way. Change is not always good.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss