Reasons I think I'll enjoy the new breed of Lumias (950 and 950 XL)?

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Reasons I think I'll enjoy the new breed of Lumias (950 and 950 XL)

I'm also hoping for a return to having the best camera on a general purpose smartphone. I hope the video recording gets a lot better especially and they have overcome that seeking focus mode.

Yeah.. I really hope the new camera app is snappy and responsive...

erfanjafar

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site

Let Microsoft think about the strategies on how to shift the public opinion. We should like it as it is if we actually like it...

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site

I completely agree, I love the design of these phones. (except for the silver ring on the 950) I have enjoyed using my 1520, but I'm looking forward to rounded corners. Sharp corners on a large device just isn't practical. I just hope MSFT does something similar to what Apple is doing with the iPhone. $20-$30 a month and you can upgrade after a year if there are new flagships.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site

I really want the 950 for EVERY spec except that stupid ring - I love the XL for everything EXCEPT the 5.7" screen. Argh, what do I do?!!!

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

I agree!! That thick 950 ring is the one thing is the one design detail that hurts the beauty imho...

Maybe it'll look better, maybe even great in white. Although 950 xl is just awesome in both white & black...

Can't wait to either find one or spray paint my own red back for one of them when their prices drop down to my favor.

Pierre Blackwell

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

I have been using a 940XL for the past month and a half and I have to admit I'm very impressed by it. As an owner of a 1520 that bricked on me, I had my reservations going from what I would say is the best spec windows phone out there to date to a mid range phone, but Microsoft did a very nice job in making the most out of a phone that performs more at a flagship level. I am running TP for WP10 and for the most part it runs smooth. It really doesn't slow down or freeze when doing most functions I did with the 1520, so I can only imagine how the 650XL is going to perform. I like the design of the 640XL, I just didn't like the fact they took away the camera button, and am glad to see it brought back with the 650XL. I think most will be pleased with these new phones. The question is will MSFT make sure the masses know about it.

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I really want the 950 for EVERY spec except that stupid ring - I love the XL for everything EXCEPT the 5.7" screen. Argh, what do I do?!!!

First world problems..lol

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I have been using a 940XL for the past month and a half and I have to admit I'm very impressed by it. As an owner of a 1520 that bricked on me, I had my reservations going from what I would say is the best spec windows phone out there to date to a mid range phone, but Microsoft did a very nice job in making the most out of a phone that performs more at a flagship level. I am running TP for WP10 and for the most part it runs smooth. It really doesn't slow down or freeze when doing most functions I did with the 1520, so I can only imagine how the 650XL is going to perform. I like the design of the 640XL, I just didn't like the fact they took away the camera button, and am glad to see it brought back with the 650XL. I think most will be pleased with these new phones. The question is will MSFT make sure the masses know about it.

lol... I think you got confused with the phone models, there! (Although I don't blame you ;) )

Microsoft MADE SURE everyone in the US knows about the Surface Pro 3 ( the only new Surface in the market for quite a few months), by advertising the hell out of it on TV and elsewhere. I think, the more consolidated the phone portfolios are, the easier and effective the advertising be. Just release a phone or two a year, and advertise the hell out of it, rather than release a phone every two months.

And if you watch prime time TV these days, hardly a show goes by without a Windows 10 commercial. I think they are doing great these days!

Richpl

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site

Design wise I prefer the 930. You can't go wrong with the metal on the sides. Plastic slips right out of your hands

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

It's amazing what you can do with Duct Tape these days!

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Design wise I prefer the 930. You can't go wrong with the metal on the sides. Plastic slips right out of your hands

Agree with the design logic. Although, when the Icon was released the majority thought it was bland, uninspired and "un-lumia"-like. The metal on the contrary is more slippery than the plastic.. and I think they use matte finish, so that might help it being less slippery, if you are concerned.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

I don't think I will have the money to spend on these phones I guess I just have to be happy with my 640 but I hope they do good.

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I don't think I will have the money to spend on these phones I guess I just have to be happy with my 640 but I hope they do good.

640 s a darn good phone! I'd be happy with it for quite a while... and then get the 950/950XL when their prices go down

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

I can't believe it. An entire conversation about the 950/950XL without the doom. Thank you!

Yes, they look great. From the renders I'm wondering if anyone knows the button configuration functions? It looks like it has more than my 640.

Now...The big questions, What about the radios, carrier compatibility in the US? will they follow iPhone and Nexus and go the universal unlocked route? See folks, we still some new surprises in store for us on the 6th. Can't wait to hear everybody's reactions.

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I can't believe it. An entire conversation about the 950/950XL without the doom. Thank you!

Yes, they look great. From the renders I'm wondering if anyone knows the button configuration functions? It looks like it has more than my 640.

Now...The big questions, What about the radios, carrier compatibility in the US? will they follow iPhone and Nexus and go the universal unlocked route? See folks, we still some new surprises in store for us on the 6th. Can't wait to hear everybody's reactions.

Good question regarding the button configuration functions... I guess, we will have to wait and see...
Looks like AT&T will carry the phones and you can buy it unlocked from MS stores... Although if it is AT&T exclusive in the US, how long before MS can sell them unlocked for it to be used on other carriers, remains to be seen.

Schnuffi

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site

I am not in the US and always buy my phones unlocked, Having said that I think Mary Jo Foley on windows weekly said the phones will be sold unlocked and will work on any carrier. Maybe they might do something like Apple.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site

The high res pictures leaked today of the 950 & 950 xl have greatly changed my opinion of the 950 look...

The 950 XL imho is still a BEAUTY, but now unlike before the 950 doesn't seem that ugly to me..

They'll look even better in white contrary to black photos we've gotton

flattie

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site

Agree.. But they are unique to Lumias. And people seem to forget these when they compare lumias to Apples and Galaxys & threaten to abandon the ship; move elsewhere .. ;)

People forget because they haven't had a device to remind them. ;)

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

ROBBIE HALL

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site

How they sell these phones? Do an apple! Be a bully! With over 100mil w10 users I think MS can bully companies and developers into making apps. but hers the catch bully them to make universal apps. That's what apple would do I think. Tell developers make the app for all our devices! Thats how you reach 100mil plus pc's and the phones will come once they see it lucrative on pc's....
And I going for the 950xl....have a 1020 now and hoping for a replacement soon....but the xl seems quite nice. Just wished it had xenon so ill wait until I get a photo review

Arun3

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

The high res pictures leaked today of the 950 & 950 xl have greatly changed my opinion of the 950 look...

The 950 XL imho is still a BEAUTY, but now unlike before the 950 doesn't seem that ugly to me..

They'll look even better in white contrary to black photos we've gotton

Absolutely agree! It's so easy to jump the gun, get frustrated and make statements... Infact I have a nickname for the ring on 950; the Cortana ring.. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro