10-08-2015 09:02 PM
345 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    Keeps Windows part but incorporate the Google apps.
    10-05-2015 08:05 AM
    Nowhere did I say that aggressive pricing is the only means by which to gain market share. It stands to reason this would be part of any market share growth strategy however. Many here are expecting the L950/XL to be priced aggressively, precisely because they believe MS would be stupid not to chase market share in that way. When that doesn't happen, it should signify to those folks that MS does in fact not believe market share to be an important enough goal to follow by such means. It's just one of many indicators, and one we'll be able to verify soon. That's why I mentioned it.
    It's okay that you mention it, but it's not okay to spin it as MS not caring about W10M. Those are completely different things. It would be like saying that since iOS only has 15% of the market share that Apple doesn't care about iOS unless they start lowering their hardware price by half to "beat Android". It's not an apt analogy to make to begin with, so I'm going to point out how ridiculous it is.

Exactly. Whatever your preferred interpretation is, this does, at the very least, signify that MS is not willing to make the same sized investments into smartphone hardware innovations as Nokia previously has. Unless the folks in Redmond were just sitting around twiddling their thumbs, there is no way they will be able to pick up all the slack.
    Another ridiculous claim. Nokia's history is known to be wasteful and full of middle management bureaucracy which prevented their good engineering products from seeing the day, that's why their team is so bloated. There were more than 3 times the engineers keeping Symbian up to date than the entire Windows 7 OS team for instance. Nokia was a bloated company that was inefficiently ran and just looking at the numbers of engineers in the company is a silly thing to do. The fact that MS laid off a bunch of Nokia team has absolutely no barring on the engineering effort MS will put into mobile.

I'm not buying the idea that the abstract notion of "a complete ecosystem" can play an important role in an effective market share growth strategy.
    Tell that to Apple, because that's how Apple sell Macs to iPhone users and why Mac sales are growing. Microsoft is just betting the other way - hoping Windows 10 desktop users would buy a W10M to accompany it. This strategy makes sense, and for once MS actually has a good footing to start with due to W10 desktop being well received, unlike W8 which had a terrible reputation which dragged down everything along with it. So yes you CAN indeed sell it to people the idea of a fully "in" ecosystem. The issue is going to be Microsoft's marketing effort, which we can all agree on is terrible, but MS does have a unique product experience in hand that cannot be full realised with a mixed environment. Yes you do get some of it, but it's not best.
    10-05-2015 08:09 AM
    It's okay that you mention it, but it's not okay to spin it as MS not caring about W10M. Those are completely different things. It would be like saying that since iOS only has 15% of the market share that Apple doesn't care about iOS unless they start lowering their hardware price by half to "beat Android". It's not an apt analogy to make to begin with, so I'm going to point out how ridiculous it is.
    Apple and Microsoft are in two different leagues in mobile. Apple of course would like to have a higher market share (meaning higher sales; what company wouldn't), but what they have is fine because they make a boatload of money. Apple makes more profit than any company in history. Microsoft so far has lost a lot of money in their mobile division.

Microsoft needs higher sales. Apple doesn't. If Microsoft made a profit at 2.7% market share, they wouldn't care either.
    10-05-2015 08:20 AM
    It's unrealistic for people to say these phones should be under $500.

Spec wise, 950/950xl are on par with any flagships out there. Plus continuum, Windows Hello, SD card slot, exchangeable battery, dual SIM, and the expected superior camera they are truly strong competitors.

Strategy wise, MS won't want these two phones comparable with Nexus. Nexus has always been the representative of the best budget phone, while 950/950xl aim at premium business and WP fans markets. They will be charged similar to Galaxy S6 and iphone, but a little bit lower to compete.

My guess is $579 for 950, and $659 for 950xl.
    The price will need to be in under $500 to be attractive to users other than hardcore Windows fans. 1+2 is selling with the same Specs for under 400 with 64gb. There is really no reason why MS, who has billions in profit cannot do it. They are giving away W10 free anyway. If it price in the $600 or $700, then there is really no reason to buy a WP when you it cost the same or more than an IOS/Android phone with similar specs. FWIW, you can go to eBay and get a S6 128gb for about 600 used. Samsung Exynos 7420 performs better than the Snapdragon 810.

I remembered HP release the TouchPad years ago with WebOS and priced it the same as an iPad. Guess where is TouchPad and WebOS (PalmOS) now?

While I agreed W10 is nice, but without phone Apps, it is just a basic camera with basic phone functions. No one is paying $600 or $700 for a basic camera phone. I admit I would like to give WP10 a try, but at 700, I will write it off.
    10-05-2015 08:32 AM
    MSFT should create that "certification" LTLMC (Long Term Loyal Microsoft Customer)
    10-05-2015 09:29 AM
    There is really no reason why MS, who has billions in profit cannot do it.
    Certainly they can, but how much longer should they keep throwing money at it? It has already been 5 years...
    10-05-2015 09:35 AM
    Certainly they can, but how much longer should they keep throwing money at it? It has already been 5 years...
    MSFT was doing it wrong in the earlier days. Had a good competing premium phone, yet only released it for AT&T instead of selling it unlock. They have stores and online store too. Then treat the developer like crap. Instead of doing something like come develop our phone and we waive all fees for 2 years, they changed a higher fee. A lousy store, still a lousy store after 5 years.

MSFT still want to be in this market and I hope they don't make the same mistake again. They should price this phone at 0 profit or even take a loss on it. Waive the fees for the airs for 1 to 2 years. Get the users base and you can charge whatever you want. But now, WP has no users

Like I said, 1+2 has the same specs and it is selling for under $400. I don't see why MS should price the 950 in the 600 range.

Price this phone in the 400s and it will be feature headline for all tech and phone sites for the next few months. Developers will jump it on it too.
    10-05-2015 09:45 AM
    At this point MSFT should stop this practice, there's no reason to hide the new phones, you not apple you are not Samsung u are catching up, release the phones saturate the market or if you can't do all that just drop windowsphone and move on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-05-2015 09:46 AM
    Looking at this leak photos, those phones are still DOWNGRADE for my LUMIA 1520

10-05-2015 09:47 AM
    thanks
    10-05-2015 10:39 AM
    Roughly 24 hours until we will probably find out what the actual strategy is. I have a feeling that there are quite a few more people in the, "I will buy this no matter what it is priced at" camp than in the, "I'm only buying if it is cheap" camp. Of course, prior to last week I didn't know either one existed, not sure how many are in that camp.
    10-05-2015 10:42 AM
    Just a quick question, for those who insist 950/XL should have a premium price-tag. How many of you will really buy it?

If the ratio is low then how you expect the outsiders will pay for it when the insiders shows low desire to really aquire them?

Plus the different carriers/fequence/area usually require different models, it create a difficult situation either the massive stock unsold or limit units made/carriers supported and make them like unicorn - the 1520/930 case AGAIN?

I think it will be a real challenge for MSFT.
    920Walker and Kevin Rush like this.
    10-05-2015 11:12 AM
    Looking at this leak photos, those phones are still DOWNGRADE for my LUMIA 1520

Downgrade? Ha ha look at the specs. Or are you just upset at the color options?
    920Walker likes this.
    10-05-2015 11:14 AM
    Its not always about the specs, you have to look at the overall appearance! Yes! The COLORS SMH

Kevin Rush likes this.
    10-05-2015 11:15 AM
    I will most likely buy the 950XL at any price point.
    That being said it may also be my last Windows phone if MS doesn't bring a better level of support to it and its app environment. Also the carrier issue may change that. If it's not on Verizon I'm not sure I would jump carriers to get it. I agree that a price point about $100 less than other flagship would help.
    Kevin Rush and Tien-Lin Chang like this.
    10-05-2015 11:20 AM
    If you look on expansys.ca you can get the lumia 830 for about $265.00.
    10-05-2015 11:31 AM
    Yes, instead of spending millions of dollars on failed campaign to put on TV shows and ... , just give that discount straight to customers.
    You won't even need advertisement, and it will spread like wildfire.

Look at Google, subsidizing Nexus made Google devices more popular.
    920Walker and Tien-Lin Chang like this.
    10-05-2015 11:33 AM
    I will buy either 950 or 950XL to replace Galaxy S5, if priced below $1,000.
    Kevin Rush and Tien-Lin Chang like this.
    10-05-2015 11:35 AM
    Another option is to play it like Samsung - price it high but give people a couple hundred macaroons for trading in their devices.
    10-05-2015 11:42 AM
    I heard a similar story about WP8 back in late 2013
    No you didn't. In the Windows 8.1 days Microsoft was not leveraging its huge desktop user base still on Windows 7 as it is doing today. That's a huge difference.
    10-05-2015 11:49 AM
    It would be cheaper to work with App developers to get them to make Windows Apps and third party vendors to make accessories. That is why pepole buy andriod and Apple phones. Also, on the business side, they need to kill the Good app and get business to use Windows phone for business.
    10-05-2015 11:55 AM
    They need to be cheap! Yes! Because they don't look and act likle flagship devices but more as "beta" devices for the upcoming wave of windows announcements and updates. (Rolling thunder????).

Also, they have some proving to do and cheap highend phones would be the way to go! Without a doubt!
    10-05-2015 12:08 PM
    I will buy either 950 or 950XL to replace Galaxy S5, if priced below $1,000.
    Why?
    10-05-2015 12:09 PM
    I will most likely buy the 950XL at any price point.
    That being said it may also be my last Windows phone if MS doesn't bring a better level of support to it and its app environment. Also the carrier issue may change that. If it's not on Verizon I'm not sure I would jump carriers to get it. I agree that a price point about $100 less than other flagship would help.
    For me, i can already say that if the 950 XL isn't cheap (cheaper than 400 unlocked). The lumia 735 i have now will be my last windows phone. I will probably wait out for a Nokia Android. (I've simply given up a bit over all these years of being a betatester).
    10-05-2015 12:11 PM
    Because they don't look and act like flagship devices but more as "beta" devices for the upcoming wave of windows announcements and updates. (Rolling thunder????)
    As in the software isn't ready? Or they'll be talking about features that aren't available at launch?
    10-05-2015 12:11 PM
345 ... 89101112 ...