10-08-2015 02:22 AM
100 1234
tools
    Regular people, judging by the list of must-have OFFICIAL apps must mean entitled teens and tweens.
    10-06-2015 12:02 PM
    Regular people, judging by the list of must-have OFFICIAL apps must mean entitled teens and tweens.
    They only want one app Snapchat...
    10-06-2015 12:18 PM
    They only want one app Snapchat...
    Trust me - I have 3 kids in college. They all love my phone(s), especially the 930 and its display and camera quality. They tell me, in effect - when it gets SnapChat, I'm in. Until then, they are apple-heads.

I think that's just until they get out of college. Their politics will change then too (I HOPE).
    10-06-2015 12:20 PM
    I think the Windows Phone culture is the creative regular person. I find too many people want Apple or Android for the "label" or "prestige", not the simple fact that WP runs well, is easy to use and has all of the majors.
    Getting a Windows Phone into someone's hand and letting them use it for a week and watching them along the way sometimes is surprising to the "diehards" because they hate to admit it but they can... "Like it."
    Thallanor likes this.
    10-06-2015 12:32 PM
    For me, wp is about smoothness, ease of operation, consistency, and ecosystem. Wp initially was the best in 3 out 4 categories. I was amazed by the different ui and how fast it was.

Cherry on top was MS office and Xbox integration, even tho I knew it needed lots of work and updating. Wp caters to every facet of my life and I love it!
    You still feel that these points are valid?

Smoothness? IS a WP phone really better than a newer Android? If so, it IS not better than an iPhone.
    Ease of operation? It is a matter of taste. I prefer the WP8.1 over Android/iOS but all three systems are pretty equal.
    Consistency? NOT valid for W10M. A boring iPhone is just so much more polished and consistent that it is almost embarrassing to compare.
    Ecosystem? What ecosystem?
    XBOX and Office? Well, this is far better on Android/iOS than on WP8.1 and even W10M has a lot to prove before it is in the same league.
    10-06-2015 01:55 PM

Smoothness? IS a WP phone really better than a newer Android? If so, it IS not better than an iPhone.
    Ease of operation? It is a matter of taste. I prefer the WP8.1 over Android/iOS but all three systems are pretty equal.
    Consistency? NOT valid for W10M. A boring iPhone is just so much more polished and consistent that it is almost embarrassing to compare.
    XBOX and Office? Well, this is far better on Android/iOS than on WP8.1 and even W10M has a lot to prove before it is in the same league.
    Things are never as black and white as made out.
    I just got the iPhone 6S. Things I miss. My car reading my text out via Bluetooth (sure, Siri can do it, but its not automatic)
    Try posing a question in an SMS text you dictate, Siri will just put the words, Windows is smart enough to put a ? at the end :)
    I haven't found a way to Pin a contact to the front screen on an iPhone so I can just press a button for my fav people, like a tile.

The camera is only good in good light, but boy is it quick. Lumia needs serious work in the speed department.
    The iPhone feels "messy", just so many icons. But all the apps are available. But then, I don't miss many on my Windows Phone.
    (Windows has many of the big hitting apps) Only SKY in the UK, and Snapchat missing from the core apps people want.

I will probably get one of the 950 phones. To go with my 6S. (I also have a Note 4, and Blackberry - I actually like the Blackberry)
    The iPhone is polished, but so is Windows 8.1 on phone. Windows 10 beta is terrible right now, at least on my 735 Lumia.

Office better on iOS? Er... no :) Android is messy if you don't have a "pure" Nexus or Cynagenmod. My Samsung with stock Samsung is a disaster (I wonder why people like these horrid things so much, but the Note 4 hardware is nice).

Pluses and minuses on all phones. Right now WP needs fast camera, a couple more key apps and Win10 mobile to really get things right as Windows 10 desktop has. Then, it might stand at least some chance for mass consumer adoption. Its already doing well in Enterprise sales, for obvious reasons I can expand upon if you wish :/
    vw412fan likes this.
    10-06-2015 02:31 PM
    Right now WP needs <snip> a couple more key apps
    In my opinion, this point right here overrides any advantages WP may have. And "couple" should be changed to "quite a few." When this gets covered, then we have something.
    10-06-2015 03:30 PM
    The whole discussion of it is for people or not really depends on what you want.

For this person you are referring to he wanted Pokemon Go, so his decision was made up already regardless of the state of Windows Phone.
    So this example just means he wanted Pokemon, whether it will be good or not, noone knows. However there are people that are getting modern devices for this game.

The apps everyone uses had gone through a lack of updates fore a while, but with Universal Apps, pretty much every app listed in the lower part has been majorly updated, or is expected to be majorly updated over the next month or 2 on Windows 10 Mobile.

Right now W10M is in a partial reboot, and is using Universal Apps and Windows 10 in an attempt to fix the issue with apps. So far at least for the big Social Media apps, and even many of the banking apps, it appears to be working. The sad part is they dropped WP8.1 totally while they worked on the new universal app. This will cause a problem for low end phones, as many may not upgrade to W10M due to storage capacity limitations.

We will see, however i know I am keeping my 1520 while I watch what happens. The new phones as said in previous interviews are designed to give existing users an upgrade path for older phones. It will be a good 6 mo to a year before we really know if the new platform will be embraced, but universal apps for around 100m users is pretty attractive. One App, with scalable or variant interfaces, all platforms, this is definately going to help, we will see how much soon.
    10-06-2015 03:42 PM
    Can you knowingly say you prefer the interface of WP when W10M takes nearly all UI elements from Android/iOS?
    Umm do you mean circles and hamburgers? Because circles are being used fairly universally throughout everything digital, and MS is actually doing a good job of reducing the use of hamburgers...

The start screen is unlike ios/droid in every way.
    Their settings interface is now by far the best experience out there (and nothing like the competitions).
    Their notification center is similar to the others- but it's a notification center how different do you expect?

Truthfully the new design language is needed as wp8.1 feels dated and I'm looking forward to app designers taking on the new look. all in all there's nothing androidish or iosish about W10M except for circles and hamburgers - 2 whole elements... yeah... nearly all of them
    10-06-2015 05:26 PM

Depends on what hardware you're talking about - sure a moto-x is like butter, but a cheap android might start out okay, but give it time...

Ok - I'll give you iOS on ease of operation - but Andriod?!?! Did you type that with a straight face?

Not sure where you are going here - if you mean consistency within the ui/ux then you can say what you want about W10M today, but you know and I know it's not finished and any inconsistency you see is due to that. If you are bringing apps into this, then whatever - none of the 3 have much consistency anymore.

Uhh... the W10 ecosystem... you know the one with 110 million people on it in 10 weeks time...

Actually W10M doesn't really. They are pretty much all the same - and the W10M apps will only get better as we get closer to launch.
    Thallanor likes this.
    10-06-2015 05:42 PM
    WP is for people who want a good phone with a nice OS that is a little different. Sure that's not everyone, but if the app gap wasn't there I'm sure it would be for more.

If WP had SnapChat and Google Maps, there would be virtually no excuse not to use it. Do some of the official apps suck? Yes. Are we missing many/most local/smaller brand name apps? Sure. Are there popular games missing from the store? Yes. But really, most of those are relatively easy to live without. In a world where teens dictate much of the tech purchases in their households - snapchat is a gaping black hole in the app store. Until I see different, google maps is the gold standard (in the US) and without it, WP is at a huge disadvantage.

If those two apps ever make their appearance - I would feel much better about suggesting it to a friend/colleague. As it is now, I always have to give those two caveats - and trust me I've had enough iOS and Android users look at my old 920 and really like what they see to know MS has something here. They are just at a discernible disadvantage right now - and probably always.
    10-06-2015 05:57 PM
    As everyone is saying it's all about what you want. Personally, I don't like iPhone. I've always hated the look and feel of it. When I bought my first smart phone the iPhone was the smallest thing ever with large space around the buttons. Typing would have been difficult, so I went with something different. I also had an iTouch and really didn't care for it.

I owned an android tablet. Widgets were my favorite part, but they were a miserable failure at the time. Android users hear that I'm good with computers and the first thing they ask, "How do I stop Facebook from eating up all of my batter?" Updating android has a 50/50 chance of breaking your phone in my opinion.

I love live tiles. I like the feel of Windows Phone. When I'm in my car with Ford Sync, Cortana will not only read an incoming text to me, but I can reply to that text with my voice. I've never had a battery problem on Windows Phone. I've found a substitute for every app that I've wanted, except snapchat (there are substitutes, but your friends have to have that app as well). Two months after I stopped using snapchat all of my friends stopped using it anyway, because it was just a fad to them. Yes, I hope that windows 10 can solve the app gap, but I don't feel like I'm missing out just because I don't have the app of the month.

I am also really looking forward to Continuum ... and the bragging rights. I don't have a laptop, and I'm always on the road. So for my situation Continuum is awesome!
    MikeSo and fdruid like this.
    10-06-2015 06:27 PM
    No OS is for everyone or should be. Nothing in life that's good should be "for everyone". Things being "for everyone" is a lie from marketing.

Some people will like some features, and others won't. As some people don't like iOS or Android and prefer Windows Mobile. In the end, I think it's better that there's variety to choose from.

That said, Windows Mobile is an outstanding OS, on par with its competitors, which is just starting in a very competitive field where its stifled from growing because they know if allowed to, it can turn into a very solid competitor. So it's basically just marketing and having people won over with shiny stuff instead of allowing them to think what they really like.

So your friend likes Android better, or maybe, like a lot of people, just doesn't care. And there are more Android devices to choose from. It's perfectly ok. I hope this changes and WM increases in popularity, but in the end, exercising personal choice, and the availability of options from which to choose from, is what's good and healthy. Different from having a perfect, unique OS that is pushed to the people who don't think.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-06-2015 07:45 PM
    Regular people/adults, don't play pokemon.
    I know quite a few regular people who happen to be adults that play Pokemon. Present company included.
    10-06-2015 07:51 PM
    I think Windows Phone's UI is the most readable. Visited someone who's vision deteriorated because of exposure on the battle field, said he could read the text on the Windows Phone Hamburger Menu just fine without me having to hand it over.
    Thallanor likes this.
    10-06-2015 09:19 PM
    It will be the right choice for me if MS fix the Resuming and Reloading nonsense as well as getting the new Universal Facebook and Messenger apps out ASAP.
    Thallanor likes this.
    10-06-2015 09:38 PM
    If MS gets the Google apps + Surface Phone + Microsoft Pay + an equivalent of HomeKit... then they have something.
    10-06-2015 11:00 PM
    LOL, consistency? Did you ACTUALLY say that? Let's see. I started with WP7 (Samsung Focus followed by Lumia 900). Then Microsoft started all over with WP8. I got the 920 and then a 1020. When they went from WP7 to WP8 we LOST features, important ones. Then we went from WP8 to WP8.1 and lost MORE. Now Microsoft has started over AGAIN we we've pretty much lost everything that was great about the operating system. If W10M had been the system they launched with instead of WP7 I'd have never given up my feature phone for a smartphone. There's been nothing consistent. And now there's really nothing LEFT of the phone anymore.
    10-07-2015 12:06 AM
    Snapchat is for sexting and there's no universe I'd use Google Maps over Bing.
    10-07-2015 12:08 AM
    I totally disagree. The loss of the pivot interface just angered me completely. I nearly puked when you said the settings interface is the best. It's horrible, far worse than 8.1.
    10-07-2015 12:10 AM
    I totally disagree. The loss of the pivot interface just angered me completely. I nearly puked when you said the settings interface is the best. It's horrible, far worse than 8.1.
    1. Could you please use the QUOTE button, so we know what you're replying to? Thanks.

2. The only thing I hated about Windows Phone is/was the settings menu. It's supposed to be in the order of which settings are most commonly used, but really just causes a headache and makes you look like an ***** when you're trying to find a setting. The new menu isn't perfect but is such an improvement and is more consistent with Windows 10.

3. The W10TP is getting more smoother, more consistent and polished. Have a little patience, it's still a work in progress.
    Thallanor likes this.
    10-07-2015 04:33 AM
    Hardware is there now with the 950 and 950 XL. The os is getting there, slowly but surely. Now if the developers will start creating/porting apps, that will be the last thing that is needed for wp to break out.
    Tien-Lin Chang and MikeSo like this.
    10-07-2015 04:49 AM
    Hardware is there now with the 950 and 950 XL. The os is getting there, slowly but surely. Now if the developers will start creating/porting apps, that will be the last thing that is needed for wp to break out.
    Soo true.
    10-07-2015 04:56 AM
    For me, wp is about smoothness, ease of operation, consistency, and ecosystem. Wp initially was the best in 3 out 4 categories. I was amazed by the different ui and how fast it was.

Cherry on top was MS office and Xbox integration, even tho I knew it needed lots of work and updating. Wp caters to every facet of my life and I love it!
    Exactly how I feel.

I guess i am fortunate enough that everything I am looking for is on the windows platform.

love my 1020 but im considering getting the 950 XL :)
    10-07-2015 05:23 AM
    Being a 3% demographic isn't regular

Posted via the WC App for Galaxy S6
    Maybe it's because we "Think Different"?
    Thallanor likes this.
    10-07-2015 07:27 AM
100 1234