Should Microsoft Stick to Budget Phones ($300 &below)?

xterminator777

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Given that investing on a phone/device for the average majority of us is quite an expensive affair, I think Microsoft should concentrate on budget phones, tabs & laptops.
The world of tech would have gone nuts if Microsoft devices announced yesterday would have also a surface 4, surface book & 2 phones all sub $300 announced along side their premium colleagues.
Majority of the world is lower middle class and shelving out $800 & over on a devices is a bit too much to ask.
Smart targeting of the market is all we ask for

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Well, their plan to accommodate three devices (possibly a fourth) with individual purpose and that's it, seems more financially stable than what was initially done. Frankly I'm glad because this brings incentive to consistent quality each low-end release available.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Re: Should Microsoft Stick to Budget Phones ($300 &below)?

I think that type of marketing would fail. It would devalue Microsoft products into cheap junk. Nobody wants to be known as the Yugo of computers and smartphones. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zastava_Koral

I agree :) There will be cheap phones down the road, because it brings in money lol, but every self-respecting mobile player needs high-end phones. For those who find the prices steep, they should wait for a year or so before buying one of those phones. There's no point in exceeding your budget just for a phone, unless you absolutely need it? In the end those companies won't give you an award for purchasing one of those expensive phones and blowing your "bank"

xterminator777

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Should Microsoft Stick to Budget Phones ($300 &below)?

I think that type of marketing would fail. It would devalue Microsoft products into cheap junk. Nobody wants to be known as the Yugo of computers and smartphones. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zastava_Koral

I slightly disagree! E.g. you have 100 people 8 of these can spend 800 while 40 of these can spend 300, that is 8*800 = 6400 & 40*300=12000.
Where would you invest in your marketing?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Wow. That's going to be dead on arrival. Please no. I like the current plan.

This is kind of like saying that high fashion brands should make and sell their products for 80 because it's too much money. Lol

xterminator777

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Wow. That's going to be dead on arrival. Please no. I like the current plan.

This is kind of like saying that high fashion brands should make and sell their products for 80 because it's too much money. Lol
It is the mass market if you can get 50 of the 80 to spend you are good to go. But if you get only 8 (10%) high spenders, you are really thinning out your market. Economically you aren't showing your risks efficiently.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It is the mass market if you can get 50 of the 80 to spend you are good to go. But if you get only 8 (10%) high spenders, you are really thinning out your market. Economically you aren't showing your risks efficiently.
But if something is priced too cheap, then many people will perceive the product as a cheap throwaway product and will be turned off by it. That's what happened with Yugo cars. Consumers in the US perceived them to be garbage that got discarded, rather than maintained. The brand disappeared from the US market.

xterminator777

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
But if something is priced too cheap, then many people will perceive the product as a cheap throwaway product and will be turned off by it. That's what happened with Yugo cars. Consumers in the US perceived them to be garbage that got discarded, rather than maintained. The brand disappeared from the US market.

That is now how smart marketing comes to play. If Microsoft can build a device with the sturdiness n looks of a surface priced at 290 & market it "properly", you have a winner. Perception as you say indeed plays a part but also correcting the perception is up to the company. One example I give is the Moto G.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
That is now how smart marketing comes to play. If Microsoft can build a device with the sturdiness n looks of a surface priced at 290 & market it "properly", you have a winner. Perception as you say indeed plays a part but also correcting the perception is up to the company. One example I give is the Moto G.

You're right that Microsoft's highest success is in the low and middle end of the market with their 520 and recently the 640. But, I still think they need a high end device to show the possibilities of the platform. Part of the reason for the success of Moto G is the Moto X.

Especially the enthusiasts, most of us here, want high end devices. Awesome cameras, lots of storage, fast processors, Qi charging, great battery life, good screens, etc. This means the 900 series phones. If I couldn't get a phone like that with Windows Phone, I'd probably end up with an Android phone that could offer those things.

There is no one-size-fits-all approach for phones, I think you need to offer choices.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
The Surface tablet concept shows this strategy works, MS built it to show what the concept is capable of, and now we are seeing Apple and Google coping the Surface because it is successful. I agree that MS needs good low end phones to get the platform out there, but there are numerous manufacturers that could be better at building these phones.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft/Nokia has long been criticised for rolling out a seemingly endless range of low and mid range phones. This has led to the impression that Windows Phone (as an operating system) is also low-rate and cheap which doesn't do anything at all to enhance its reputation.

The operating system does need some premium hardware to showcase the full capabilities of having Windows 10 working seamlessly on multiple device platforms. This simply can't happen using cheap hardware.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

You also have to remember the media that bash Microsoft at every turn. There's a general hatred towards Microsoft amidst the media lot because most use Mac (I consider Mac better for media work) and therefore they use iPhones and iPads for integration. And the media don't want the iPhone, iPad, or Mac to look bad compared to competitors products. A case of "small something syndrome" possibly?

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I hope Microsoft gets the 950/XL to more carriers than AT&T. I just saw a post commenting none of the carriers in Canada are going to sell them. I realize Canada is not a large market, but this is not a inspiring start. It makes it seem they believe only mid/lowend Microsoft phones can sell. Hope I am wrong

xterminator777

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft/Nokia has long been criticised for rolling out a seemingly endless range of low and mid range phones. This has led to the impression that Windows Phone (as an operating system) is also low-rate and cheap which doesn't do anything at all to enhance its reputation.

The operating system does need some premium hardware to showcase the full capabilities of having Windows 10 working seamlessly on multiple device platforms. This simply can't happen using cheap hardware.

Innovation is key here, Why can't Microsoft make a device that is cheap and showcases the OS software capabilities?

xterminator777

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
You also have to remember the media that bash Microsoft at every turn. There's a general hatred towards Microsoft amidst the media lot because most use Mac (I consider Mac better for media work) and therefore they use iPhones and iPads for integration. And the media don't want the iPhone, iPad, or Mac to look bad compared to competitors products. A case of "small something syndrome" possibly?

Smart, innovative & targeted marketing is needed here. I do partly blame Microsoft for not being aggressive on this front.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Innovation is key here, Why can't Microsoft make a device that is cheap and showcases the OS software capabilities?

Again, the media would bash the OS as being cheap and only for low end hardware. And I'm sorry but no amount of smart marketing would be able to correct that cheapness image in peoples heads that it's cheap. It's already perceived as cheap as is. Not only that, but I don't do cheap phones. I'm also a Microsoft evangelist. What Microsoft needs are more people like me. For example I had the hero phone at the time known as the HTC Titan. Was always banging on about it like it was the best thing since sliced bread, my dad decided to try it out, he got a Lumia 800 which he loved. He now has a Lumia 625 which he also loves, aside from that update which killed his HERE Drive (which I think he fixed in the end). I've also been getting my friends to consider Windows Phone. Word of mouth is the most powerful marketing mechanism going. I won't bang on about the virtues of Windows Phone on cheap hardware. I want nothing but the best Microsoft can give me. I've had the Titan and Lumia 920, currently got the Lumia 930, want the Lumia 950.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

There's still the perception. Microsoft doesn't want Windows Mobile to be viewed as the choice for people who can't afford iPhones or can't afford high performance Android phones.

The technology blogs know the value of hardware. If they see that handsets are being made and sold at a loss, then they'll immediately jump down Microsoft's throat and term this as being "desperate for sales".

I spoke with Tuula Rylita (VP of Marketing at Microsoft) about the flagship phones earlier in the year. She told me that it was important for the flagship devices to be significantly better than the lower tiers and also be good enough to sustain a longer life. This is what the 1520 has managed to achieve so ably. That kind of performance and future proofing doesn't come for cheap.

You can't buy a Ferrari for Pinto money. Ferrari won't build Ferraris for Pinto money.

xterminator777

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
There's still the perception. Microsoft doesn't want Windows Mobile to be viewed as the choice for people who can't afford iPhones or can't afford high performance Android phones.

The technology blogs know the value of hardware. If they see that handsets are being made and sold at a loss, then they'll immediately jump down Microsoft's throat and term this as being "desperate for sales".

I spoke with Tuula Rylita (VP of Marketing at Microsoft) about the flagship phones earlier in the year. She told me that it was important for the flagship devices to be significantly better than the lower tiers and also be good enough to sustain a longer life. This is what the 1520 has managed to achieve so ably. That kind of performance and future proofing doesn't come for cheap.

You can't buy a Ferrari for Pinto money. Ferrari won't build Ferraris for Pinto money.

That is a good point but you are catering to a high end market. What happens to the majority of those who cannot afford a high end? We need to look at the two sides of the spectrum. You cannot depend on one spectrum.

xterminator777

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Again, the media would bash the OS as being cheap and only for low end hardware. And I'm sorry but no amount of smart marketing would be able to correct that cheapness image in peoples heads that it's cheap. It's already perceived as cheap as is. Not only that, but I don't do cheap phones. I'm also a Microsoft evangelist. What Microsoft needs are more people like me. For example I had the hero phone at the time known as the HTC Titan. Was always banging on about it like it was the best thing since sliced bread, my dad decided to try it out, he got a Lumia 800 which he loved. He now has a Lumia 625 which he also loves, aside from that update which killed his HERE Drive (which I think he fixed in the end). I've also been getting my friends to consider Windows Phone. Word of mouth is the most powerful marketing mechanism going. I won't bang on about the virtues of Windows Phone on cheap hardware. I want nothing but the best Microsoft can give me. I've had the Titan and Lumia 920, currently got the Lumia 930, want the Lumia 950.

I beg to differ, innovative marketing is shown to work. If Microsoft can think of itself as a mere start up and battle it out. Another example is the One plus one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786