12-09-2015 03:08 PM
115 1234 ...
tools
    Wont ATT pay your ETF with a credit for switching?
    Possibly, however I assume for that I'd have to get a phone from AT&T? I will not get a carrier-branded phone again.
    10-11-2015 03:45 AM
    One of the best things about Apple is that if you have a problem, you walk into one of their stores and get it fixed or replaced. I am on my 3rd IPhone 6+ (one I dropped and smashed and the other was their fault, the camera screwed up). If I buy from the Microsoft store, will they provide similar service?

My entire family is on Verizon and has Iphones and getting them serviced easily is important to me. Any thoughts or experiences with Microsoft stores customer service?
    10-11-2015 05:16 AM
    I'm sticking with my icon because it works. I'm curious if Verizon will be able to fallow through with the price hike. Everyone raised hell when they tried to throttle us, so lets see what happens.

I'm moved to Sacramento (from LA) and the data speeds are noticeably slower. Having said that, switching carriers maybe a possibility but I'm not going to get excited and make a decision yet.
    I hear ya. I am on the fence myself. Although I want a 950XL, the ICON does work well for what I need. The big deal is this $20 for unlimited data users, this might be the nail in the coffin for me with Verizon.

I just cant change carriers for a phone when I have unlimited Verizon 4G LTE data everywhere. I never have to worry or watch data usage, and that is almost priceless in some aspects.

I guess if it's forced, I will have to rethink things, I am already paying over $100 a month for a Verizon phone, if I lose the cost factor on them (would be the most expensive out of any carrier) and the 950XL option, I might just have to move on.

I guess as long as I can get a 10-15gb plan for under $30 a month (4G speeds), I will be ok....(never really go over 7-8gb)

and No I have not been in a contract in over 7-8 years now....No question grandfathered in...
    10-11-2015 11:24 AM
    Will be leaving Verizon (3 lines) to either AT&T or TMo as soon as the 950XL is available. No MS support from VZW I will not give them my $$...
    Sedp23 likes this.
    10-11-2015 02:33 PM
    I wish I could switch for the phone, but unfortunately I live in a pretty rural area and the only ones with service at my house is Verizon, so I'm stuck because of a geographic monopoly. Just like my Comcast service...
    10-12-2015 11:43 AM
    For Verizon service, it is important to work with the phone support department. The stores are only interested in commission sales, not service. I have had my best results when I call in.

I have a fairly local Microsoft Store. It is about 50 yards from an Apple Store. The two actually work well together. Want a MacBook with Office ? Get the MacBook at the Apple Store and the Microsoft staff will be happy to help you with the Office setup. As for support on products ? If you buy it at the Microsoft Store they will do whatever it takes to get it working right. If you buy it somewhere else, they will help as much as they can, and that can be significant. Yes, they do swap out defective devices if you buy them there. Yes, they do help you with complex problems. Yes, they are always friendly and I've found them to be well qualified, unlike the staff at some other big box stores. So if you do get a phone from them, you should have the same super assistance as what you get at the Apple store.

Since I have products in both families, I've spent quality time in both stores, and it has always been productive.
    10-12-2015 11:53 AM
    I'm staying with att
    $375 a month 30gb with roll over data 7 lines go figure,
    3 iPhones 6plus,2 wp,android! iPad mini.. I'm skipping 950xl I'm sure they have something after 1520🏿1530 hmmmm

VAPE ON
    10-12-2015 11:53 AM
    Um, look at 950XL specs, it is the 1520 successor.
    10-12-2015 12:07 PM
    Even though I'm up for an upgrade, I think I'm gonna hold on to my Icon for the moment. I don't really have any problems with it, and I think I'd really miss WP if I left.

Also, if the recent Surface book and Surface Pro 4 are any indication, a Surface Phone would be sexy as hell. I guess I can try to hold out for that and see what happens.
    10-12-2015 04:25 PM
    As much as I like Windows Phones I don't think I would switch carriers. Verizon seems to be the best network in my area. I am planning on using my Lumia 735 for a while. Hopefully Verizon comes out with more Lumia phones in the future, but if they don't I'd probably switch to the iPhone. I have had Androids in the past and they were okay, but to me the Android OS is too fragmented and it is hard to use the same phone for more than a year or two.
    10-13-2015 10:37 AM
    I have ordered a Nexus 5x. So long WP for now.I simply cannot switch my entire family's phone service to AT&T so I can get a 950.

WP is the best environment, but I will enjoy having better apps with Android. iPhone is out of the question = cult.

If MS turns the ship around and has VZ phones in a year or two, I may be back, but MS has lost one heretofore loyal fan for now.
    Premium1 likes this.
    10-13-2015 10:41 AM
    I guess as long as I can get a 10-15gb plan for under $30 a month (4G speeds), I will be ok....(never really go over 7-8gb)

and No I have not been in a contract in over 7-8 years now....No question grandfathered in...
    You cant get 10-15gb a month anywhere for that price...

Me I cant leave V$ Im on a grandfathered plan and its pretty cheap. Moving anywhere else would not only limit my data, actually not a big deal I don't use much, but it would significantly raise my cost.

My next phone if I cant get a 950 that would work on the network will probably be a nexus 5x. Looking at android phones though it seems nothing changed....phones full of compromise and probably poor batter life.
    10-13-2015 12:29 PM
    My wife and I are going to AT&T. We live in an area with great coverage for both carriers and on top of that my wife wants the new iPhone and she's in the middle of a contract. AT&T will give me $300 to switch my lines over.
    10-13-2015 01:43 PM
    My Icon is working just fine on Denim. When and if it dies, I still have a 928 to fall back on. Now, the price hike on the unlimited grandfathered plans may force us to rethink our options.
    I'm looking into cricket due to the up in unlimited data pricing. Att and verizon have about the same coverage, and its funny, the cricket sim i have in my back up phone gets better upload speeds even being "capped" than verizon does.
    10-13-2015 10:07 PM
    Well I might just buy an Icon and upgrade to that for now. I can't leave Verizon though, it's simply not practical. I might however, switch to either an iPhone 6s or Galaxy S6 if I decide the Icon isn't good enough considering it is a couple years old now. Upgrading my 928 to the Icon at this point effectively keeps me 2 years behind the curve. But I suppose the Icon isn't a bad phone and I can live with it for another 2 years if I have to. But if I do that and after 2 years there's still no new flagship windows phones on Verzion, then mark my words, the sun will not rise the day my contract is up.

However, us Verizon customers don't have to give up just yet. I don't know if it'll make a difference, but perhaps a petition is in order? Maybe if we can get Microsoft to hear us, they'll reconsider. Try this?
    10-14-2015 12:00 AM
    Well I might just buy an Icon and upgrade to that for now. I can't leave Verizon though, it's simply not practical. I might however, switch to either an iPhone 6s or Galaxy S6 if I decide the Icon isn't good enough considering it is a couple years old now. Upgrading my 928 to the Icon at this point effectively keeps me 2 years behind the curve. But I suppose the Icon isn't a bad phone and I can live with it for another 2 years if I have to. But if I do that and after 2 years there's still no new flagship windows phones on Verzion, then mark my words, the sun will not rise the day my contract is up.

However, us Verizon customers don't have to give up just yet. I don't know if it'll make a difference, but perhaps a petition is in order? Maybe if we can get Microsoft to hear us, they'll reconsider. Try this?
    As an owner of a Lumia 930, I can say the Icon is still a great phone and isn't missing any modern features (other than glance). Hey Cortana, great camera, still fast, you'll be fine.

How does the Microsoft Lumia 950 compare to other Lumia Windows Phones? | Windows Central
    Last edited by oldpueblo; 10-14-2015 at 12:49 AM.
    10-14-2015 12:28 AM
    I was due for an update in May and i waited to see if they would get the new lumias and they sure didn't :( I have ordered a Icon through the Microsoft store which is free for a new two-year deal, solid phone from what i hear although its a year and a half old. Still a great upgrade from my 8X. It's probably the only WP phone out there that is free and slated to get the Win10 update (insider) so i can't be too upset about that
    10-14-2015 01:44 PM
    I was due for an update in May and i waited to see if they would get the new lumias and they sure didn't :( I have ordered a Icon through the Microsoft store which is free for a new two-year deal, solid phone from what i hear although its a year and a half old. Still a great upgrade from my 8X. It's probably the only WP phone out there that is free and slated to get the Win10 update (insider) so i can't be too upset about that
    Not running your business, but I would not have wasted a two year upgrade on the Icon. I would have just paid 249 out of contract and saved my upgrade until something came to Verizon.
    10-14-2015 02:45 PM
    Not running your business, but I would not have wasted a two year upgrade on the Icon. I would have just paid 249 out of contract and saved my upgrade until something came to Verizon.
    This, so much this. Back out of that contract if you still can and buy the Icon for $250 upfront! I use the Icon and it is a very good phone but two years is an eternity for cellphones and I don't trust Verizon to update it to W10M.
    10-14-2015 03:38 PM
    I'm also on a business plan and currently off contract with my Lumia 928. Since I'd be paying full price for an Icon, does that mean it'd be possible to upgrade to the Icon without renewing my contract for another 2 years? If I'm not mistaken, 2 year contracts are just so you can get a new phone at a subsidized price. Would it be as simple as just taking the SIM card from my 928 and putting it in the Icon? A few months ago while I was off contract, I used the warranty on the phone to get a replacement 928 and all I had to do was just switch the SIM cards. I don't know if the same thing would work with an Icon.
    10-14-2015 07:02 PM
    I'm also on a business plan and currently off contract with my Lumia 928. Since I'd be paying full price for an Icon, does that mean it'd be possible to upgrade to the Icon without renewing my contract for another 2 years? If I'm not mistaken, 2 year contracts are just so you can get a new phone at a subsidized price. Would it be as simple as just taking the SIM card from my 928 and putting it in the Icon? A few months ago while I was off contract, I used the warranty on the phone to get a replacement 928 and all I had to do was just switch the SIM cards. I don't know if the same thing would work with an Icon.
    Yes. If you purchase the Icon from the Microsoft store for 249, then you will keep your upgrade to use in the future.
    10-14-2015 10:47 PM
    Yep. You just take it out and put it in the new Icon and you're good to go. I switch back and forth between my Icon and my Verizon-branded Moto E like that all the time.
    10-15-2015 04:00 AM
    Yep. You just take it out and put it in the new Icon and you're good to go. I switch back and forth between my Icon and my Verizon-branded Moto E like that all the time.
    One thing that concerns me is that according to the Microsoft website, the Lumia Icon uses a Nano SIM while my current Lumia 928 uses a Micro SIM. I'm pretty sure my current SIM card would not be compatible in that case. Would I be able to ask verizon for a new SIM without renewing my contract?
    10-15-2015 08:18 AM
    One thing that concerns me is that according to the Microsoft website, the Lumia Icon uses a Nano SIM while my current Lumia 928 uses a Micro SIM. I'm pretty sure my current SIM card would not be compatible in that case. Would I be able to ask verizon for a new SIM without renewing my contract?
    Unless you are into sim card surgery (you can cut them to size), you would have to go to store to get them to activate a new nano-sim for you which deactivates your current sim. This will not use an upgrade or require you to renew your contract. Just did this myself because HTC 8x used micro and 735 uses nano.

If you want to be able to switch between phones you can buy a sim card adapter since you'll have the current smallest sim card, though some people have found this to be hit or miss.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-15-2015 10:32 AM
    Unless you are into sim card surgery (you can cut them to size), you would have to go to store to get them to activate a new nano-sim for you which deactivates your current sim. This will not use an upgrade or require you to renew your contract. Just did this myself because HTC 8x used micro and 735 uses nano.

If you want to be able to switch between phones you can buy a sim card adapter since you'll have the current smallest sim card, though some people have found this to be hit or miss.
    I use an adapter in the Moto E without any problems.
    10-15-2015 12:16 PM
115 1234 ...