Verizon Customers: What's next?

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Well I might just buy an Icon and upgrade to that for now. I can't leave Verizon though, it's simply not practical. I might however, switch to either an iPhone 6s or Galaxy S6 if I decide the Icon isn't good enough considering it is a couple years old now. Upgrading my 928 to the Icon at this point effectively keeps me 2 years behind the curve. But I suppose the Icon isn't a bad phone and I can live with it for another 2 years if I have to. But if I do that and after 2 years there's still no new flagship windows phones on Verzion, then mark my words, the sun will not rise the day my contract is up.

However, us Verizon customers don't have to give up just yet. I don't know if it'll make a difference, but perhaps a petition is in order? Maybe if we can get Microsoft to hear us, they'll reconsider. Try this?

As an owner of a Lumia 930, I can say the Icon is still a great phone and isn't missing any modern features (other than glance). Hey Cortana, great camera, still fast, you'll be fine.

How does the Microsoft Lumia 950 compare to other Lumia Windows Phones? | Windows Central

Last edited:

jakreid

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
I was due for an update in May and i waited to see if they would get the new lumias and they sure didn't :( I have ordered a Icon through the Microsoft store which is free for a new two-year deal, solid phone from what i hear although its a year and a half old. Still a great upgrade from my 8X. It's probably the only WP phone out there that is free and slated to get the Win10 update (insider) so i can't be too upset about that

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I was due for an update in May and i waited to see if they would get the new lumias and they sure didn't :( I have ordered a Icon through the Microsoft store which is free for a new two-year deal, solid phone from what i hear although its a year and a half old. Still a great upgrade from my 8X. It's probably the only WP phone out there that is free and slated to get the Win10 update (insider) so i can't be too upset about that
Not running your business, but I would not have wasted a two year upgrade on the Icon. I would have just paid 249 out of contract and saved my upgrade until something came to Verizon.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Not running your business, but I would not have wasted a two year upgrade on the Icon. I would have just paid 249 out of contract and saved my upgrade until something came to Verizon.

This, so much this. Back out of that contract if you still can and buy the Icon for $250 upfront! I use the Icon and it is a very good phone but two years is an eternity for cellphones and I don't trust Verizon to update it to W10M.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site

I'm also on a business plan and currently off contract with my Lumia 928. Since I'd be paying full price for an Icon, does that mean it'd be possible to upgrade to the Icon without renewing my contract for another 2 years? If I'm not mistaken, 2 year contracts are just so you can get a new phone at a subsidized price. Would it be as simple as just taking the SIM card from my 928 and putting it in the Icon? A few months ago while I was off contract, I used the warranty on the phone to get a replacement 928 and all I had to do was just switch the SIM cards. I don't know if the same thing would work with an Icon.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm also on a business plan and currently off contract with my Lumia 928. Since I'd be paying full price for an Icon, does that mean it'd be possible to upgrade to the Icon without renewing my contract for another 2 years? If I'm not mistaken, 2 year contracts are just so you can get a new phone at a subsidized price. Would it be as simple as just taking the SIM card from my 928 and putting it in the Icon? A few months ago while I was off contract, I used the warranty on the phone to get a replacement 928 and all I had to do was just switch the SIM cards. I don't know if the same thing would work with an Icon.

Yes. If you purchase the Icon from the Microsoft store for 249, then you will keep your upgrade to use in the future.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site

Yep. You just take it out and put it in the new Icon and you're good to go. I switch back and forth between my Icon and my Verizon-branded Moto E like that all the time.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Yep. You just take it out and put it in the new Icon and you're good to go. I switch back and forth between my Icon and my Verizon-branded Moto E like that all the time.

One thing that concerns me is that according to the Microsoft website, the Lumia Icon uses a Nano SIM while my current Lumia 928 uses a Micro SIM. I'm pretty sure my current SIM card would not be compatible in that case. Would I be able to ask verizon for a new SIM without renewing my contract?

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
One thing that concerns me is that according to the Microsoft website, the Lumia Icon uses a Nano SIM while my current Lumia 928 uses a Micro SIM. I'm pretty sure my current SIM card would not be compatible in that case. Would I be able to ask verizon for a new SIM without renewing my contract?

Unless you are into sim card surgery (you can cut them to size), you would have to go to store to get them to activate a new nano-sim for you which deactivates your current sim. This will not use an upgrade or require you to renew your contract. Just did this myself because HTC 8x used micro and 735 uses nano.

If you want to be able to switch between phones you can buy a sim card adapter since you'll have the current smallest sim card, though some people have found this to be hit or miss.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Unless you are into sim card surgery (you can cut them to size), you would have to go to store to get them to activate a new nano-sim for you which deactivates your current sim. This will not use an upgrade or require you to renew your contract. Just did this myself because HTC 8x used micro and 735 uses nano.

If you want to be able to switch between phones you can buy a sim card adapter since you'll have the current smallest sim card, though some people have found this to be hit or miss.
I use an adapter in the Moto E without any problems.

tiggscolo

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I walked in to the Microsoft Store with my 928, which had a problem. They didn't sell it anymore, so they handed me an Icon. So I would say good service.

Xsled

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
Let's just assume we're not getting the Lumia 950/950XL ever. What do you guys plan to do next?

• Who's willing to switch carriers for the new Lumias?
  • Who's going to hold out for new WP on Verizon through future Lumia or OEM?
  • Who's leaving WP altogether? If you are leaving WP, what phone do you plan to get in the future?

Just asking cause I'm trying to decide what I'm gonna do. :cry:

Honest answer, speak with your money, go to AT&T. VZ has made it clear they do not want us.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
This is a tough one.

I'm on a family plan with Verizon. They have been our carrier since what, the 90's? We have 6 lines on a family plan, currently paying about $300 per month total. I know that nobody else on my plan is going to be switching, so if I switch to AT&T for my line, I will be footing a ~$260 bill from Verizon and about $80 per month from AT&T (factoring in the cost of a 950/XL at about $25 per month).

Plus I love Verizon's coverage, never really had a problem with it, even when traveling in the U.S. AT&T should be close to as good for me here in Southern California, but I have seen co-workers dropping more calls than I do.

And I also can't seem to convince myself to get the Note 5 just yet. Brother has a Note 4, and while it is great hardware, I just know that I won't be as satisfied with the OS as a whole. Looks too...cartoonish? Bubbly?

I'm lost.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
My family phone contracts have ended with Verizon, long ago and we have been waiting for new Windows Phones. Since Verizon isn't announcing support for Windows Phone, my family and I are checking out the coverage of other carriers.
Verizon hasn't served it's MS customers well at all. I wonder how their service for Blackberry compares?

We will be buying Windows Phones.

Last edited:

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Been with Verizon ever since I got my first smart phone, the HTC Imagio, and still continue to stay with them. Even though their customer service sucks, their windows phone lineup is anemic at best, and their "we wont miss ya if you leave" attitude really pisses me off, I still like the fact that connection, data speed, and replacing damaged phones is better than anyone else. I can live with my M8 Windows for now, and have complained on a regular basis about their lack of phones.

Will I leave Verizon, no. will I leave windows phone, no, will I wait, yes. I believe waiting is worth it. Worse case, I keep the M8 till death does it part!

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Been with Verizon ever since I got my first smart phone, the HTC Imagio, and still continue to stay with them. Even though their customer service sucks, their windows phone lineup is anemic at best, and their "we wont miss ya if you leave" attitude really pisses me off, I still like the fact that connection, data speed, and replacing damaged phones is better than anyone else. I can live with my M8 Windows for now, and have complained on a regular basis about their lack of phones.

Will I leave Verizon, no. will I leave windows phone, no, will I wait, yes. I believe waiting is worth it. Worse case, I keep the M8 till death does it part!

How is the M8 actually? I've been thinking of a small upgrade form my 928 but I can't decide what phone to upgrade to. The M8 does look very nice to me, but the one thing that discourages me from jumping on it is the camera. It's got a pretty low megapixel count from what I've researched.

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Can't switch here as my phone service is provided by my work and I can't fit two phones in my pockets. I am still enjoying my Ativ SE, and am waiting for the RTM build to hack w10 onto it. I hate the camera, and desperately want glance back though so hopefully we get an upgraded 950/xl or Surface Phone sometime next year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786