The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-16-2015 12:31 AM
50 12
tools
    I too think the App Gap is no personal big deal.

So many fads in the "need for apps" just don't interest me for my smart device usage.
    hiya15 and libra89 like this.
    10-30-2015 02:12 PM
    I like being able to have apps for all my banking/financial needs, hotel apps like fairmonts concierge app, SIRIUS XM is a huge one, plus others that are available through android.
    10-30-2015 03:01 PM
    App gap - not a big issue for me either. It has all i need.
    10-30-2015 03:13 PM
    Most of the app gap issues I've had are solved with 3rd party apps. BUT I'm having a huge problem finding educational technology apps that I can integrate in my classroom (I'm a high school teacher). I spent the whole day at an instructional technology conference frustrated BC I can't use a lot of the apps.
    Likwidz likes this.
    10-30-2015 03:27 PM
    Go to Store app and search for anything related to Microsoft. There are more than 500 of them from Microsoft itself not including other vendors. Be patient, it is getting there. I completely understand that there is lack of apps but the OS, especially Windows 10, is excellent.
    10-30-2015 07:46 PM
    Most of the app gap issues I've had are solved with 3rd party apps. BUT I'm having a huge problem finding educational technology apps that I can integrate in my classroom (I'm a high school teacher). I spent the whole day at an instructional technology conference frustrated BC I can't use a lot of the apps.
    I am sorry, but the app gap is no where near closed with 3rd party apps. Find me 3rd party apps for the following on windows.

Fairmont concierge app
    Sirius xm with full functionality of the official
    Airmiles with full operation
    Desjardins with full function
    IHG
    torque pro for OBD monitoring

I could go on and on.
    11-01-2015 08:56 AM
    I only know what one of those even is. Anyone THAT app-centric should probably hold onto their iPhone for now.
    11-01-2015 09:02 AM
    I am sorry, but the app gap is no where near closed with 3rd party apps. Find me 3rd party apps for the following on windows.

Fairmont concierge app
    Sirius xm with full functionality of the official
    Airmiles with full operation
    Desjardins with full function
    IHG
    torque pro for OBD monitoring

I could go on and on.
    At the risk of you going 'on and on' You could of started with a few more mainstream apps to make your argument. The app gap is there...but most major apps are covered now. It doesn't exist for me. I own an iPad, a Sony Z3 and a few windows phones. Pretty much the same 40 or so apps on all devices. Just lucky I guess...
    11-01-2015 09:04 AM
    Why should I start with mainstream apps. If they are on android, which they are because I have android devices, they can be ported easily to w10 with the new technology. Just because YOU are covered does not mean that EVERYONE ELSE is.

JUST SAYING.
    11-01-2015 02:00 PM
    Because....you make the argument sound weak and it doesn't illustrate the point well when you quote obscure apps. That's all. What's with the caps? No need to get shirty... So many people on here ready to spit their dummy. Sheesh!!
    Last edited by Paul1266; 11-01-2015 at 02:42 PM.
    11-01-2015 02:29 PM
    [WARN]Let's stay on topic, not on each other.[/WARN]
    11-01-2015 04:12 PM
    Just let the app companies know through twitter and social media,not Msft fault
    11-01-2015 04:14 PM
    I converted a friend to windows phone and he returned it after 2 days and bought the new iPhone 6.
    He loved the system but the apps that he uses are no there. He mention official apps like (vulkano, philips hue, google photos).
    Microsoft needs to do some work before the new Lumias come to the market because it is going to be another disaster and only in use by fun base.

He even asked me. How can I use a phone without vendors official apps. (Door locks, smart lights, etc...)

Yeah, Microsoft needs to do some work.

I'd suggest Seal Team 6 storm the developer's headquarters and torture them until they develop apps for Windows 10 mobile.
    11-01-2015 04:35 PM
    Go to Store app and search for anything related to Microsoft. There are more than 500 of them from Microsoft itself not including other vendors. Be patient, it is getting there. I completely understand that there is lack of apps but the OS, especially Windows 10, is excellent.
    I'm sorry, but it isn't, and my patience has just about run out. I've been a faithful WP user since WP7 with my Samsung Focus, and I'm just about done with WP. The 950 is a very pretty phone, and I really, really, want to continue using WP, but I'm getting to a point where apps I need just aren't there. I've been saying over and over "it'll get there, just hold off. The apps will come!" and here we are. They didn't come, and it doesn't look like they ever will come.

Yelp for WP is clunky and essentially garbage.
    Drone Mobile has been "working on WP app" for years and still nothing.
    CDW app is just the website, not even an app.
    Official bank apps. Do they even exist?
    ReadyNAS remote doesn't exist.
    YouTube. YOU. TUBE.
    Steam app doesn't exist.
    Couples app doesn't exist.
    Games are not as good and we get a lot of copycat games not even the official ones.
    etc.
    etc.

I wanted WP to succeed, and I had high hopes in it because I love the way it looks and functions. Everyone that has seen my phone asks what it is and has interest in it, and hell, some have even bought a WP on their own only to return it a few weeks later because they weren't happy with it. Even though I think WP does a lot right, it has a lot left to do.
    chmun77 likes this.
    11-02-2015 09:28 AM
    Guys are you really don't understand that Microsoft really don't care about selling phones, Microsoft take care to sell their services like office or cloud based no matter what OS you use.
    11-02-2015 09:44 AM
    I'm sorry, but it isn't, and my patience has just about run out. I've been a faithful WP user since WP7 with my Samsung Focus, and I'm just about done with WP. The 950 is a very pretty phone, and I really, really, want to continue using WP, but I'm getting to a point where apps I need just aren't there. I've been saying over and over "it'll get there, just hold off. The apps will come!" and here we are. They didn't come, and it doesn't look like they ever will come.

Yelp for WP is clunky and essentially garbage.
    Drone Mobile has been "working on WP app" for years and still nothing.
    CDW app is just the website, not even an app.
    Official bank apps. Do they even exist?
    ReadyNAS remote doesn't exist.
    YouTube. YOU. TUBE.
    Steam app doesn't exist.
    Couples app doesn't exist.
    Games are not as good and we get a lot of copycat games not even the official ones.
    etc.
    etc.

I wanted WP to succeed, and I had high hopes in it because I love the way it looks and functions. Everyone that has seen my phone asks what it is and has interest in it, and hell, some have even bought a WP on their own only to return it a few weeks later because they weren't happy with it. Even though I think WP does a lot right, it has a lot left to do.
    Even the Blizzard Authenticator is already updated on both the iOS and Android version, while the WP version is still the very old one. I ran out of patience, and gotten myself a nice looking iPhone 6s Plus. No more resuming and reloading craps and no more worrying of missing apps.

MS can take their own sweet time all they want. Not keen on their phones anymore as I can also use their services on my iPhone as well.
    11-02-2015 07:50 PM
    Even the Blizzard Authenticator is already updated on both the iOS and Android version, while the WP version is still the very old one. I ran out of patience, and gotten myself a nice looking iPhone 6s Plus. No more resuming and reloading craps and no more worrying of missing apps.

MS can take their own sweet time all they want. Not keen on their phones anymore as I can also use their services on my iPhone as well.
    What is a Blizzard Authenticator?
    11-02-2015 10:42 PM
    What is a Blizzard Authenticator?
    You use it when you log into Blizzard's games, such as World of Warcraft or Starcraft. It's like the RSA SecurID fobs you get at work.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-02-2015 11:17 PM
    The App Gap is worse than World Hunger.
    11-02-2015 11:19 PM
    Looks like UBER yesterday told a user to switch platforms. I thought they are Microsoft partner

v7x5v86.jpg
    11-03-2015 09:18 AM
    Checked out the new phones at the MS store...I missed the calendar and mail but those new phones feel super cheap and then the app problem is still pervasive. It is going to continue to be a huge barrier outside of the 3rd world.
    11-03-2015 01:33 PM
    My phones have been remotely controlled for years now by Microsoft tech and I need need help identifying who it is and figuring out what to do about it. I've been the victim of fraud and all my accounts have been hacked numerous times. I have device info from old devices and my newest one. How can I use this info and who can help me read or view it?

Sent from my XT1019 using Tapatalk
    Might be best to start another thread....

With that said, I cannot recommended two step authentication enough.
    11-03-2015 01:42 PM
    I've heard a surprising amount of buzz about the 950. From AT&T employees to just average acquaints and colleges.
    I surprisingly have too. I am actually excited by what I am hearing from employees. (for once)
    11-03-2015 01:44 PM
    I converted a friend to windows phone and he returned it after 2 days and bought the new iPhone 6.
    He loved the system but the apps that he uses are no there. He mention official apps like (vulkano, philips hue, google photos).
    Microsoft needs to do some work before the new Lumias come to the market because it is going to be another disaster and only in use by fun base.

He even asked me. How can I use a phone without vendors official apps. (Door locks, smart lights, etc...)

A very, very specific case with particular, narrow needs.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-13-2015 06:29 AM
    Well you didn't exactly qualify your customer there =P

Bottom line is that if you like the W10M or the Lumia hardware then YOU need to contact the developer/company and say hey you don't have a W10 app. Why the heck not?! Then explain astoria/islandwood OR mention the 110 million + users they're not reaching on tablets and PCs.

I just switched to Android and of all the apps I seem to miss is the Sony Play Memories for my Sony DSLR. Outside of that everything is either manageable in the browser or not really necessary.
    libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    11-16-2015 12:31 AM
50 12