I converted a friend to WP and .... :(

Rakeeshj

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
Astoria/Islandwood can't come out quick enough

I don't think that will be a panacea. Porting the app is just one slice of pie, but the whole pie is much bigger. Most of the costs come from ongoing support, which if your company cares anything about its brand, it won't release an app and then not support the platform it's running on. Banks were the first to remove their apps, even after the porting work had already been done, because there weren't enough users to justify the support costs, and leaving it derelict poses a direct security threat, so it had to be removed. Other non-banking organizations have done the same thing and for the same reason. Those who haven't end up with situations where the app hasn't been updated in months/years where the Android/iOS versions continue to receive updates.

Besides, even if this did accomplish what you think it will (which it won't) it will just make developers have no reason to target the platform with native apps. When IBM tried making OS/2 compatible with Windows apps, then people stopped creating OS/2 apps, and the whole OS died in the market. This is why when companies want to promote their platform, they usually do the opposite of what Microsoft is trying here. For example, four years ago Google created a framework that made it easy to port Android apps to iOS, rather than the other way around.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I converted a friend to windows phone and he returned it after 2 days and bought the new iPhone 6.
He loved the system but the apps that he uses are no there. He mention official apps like (vulkano, philips hue, google photos).
Microsoft needs to do some work before the new Lumias come to the market because it is going to be another disaster and only in use by fun base.

He even asked me. How can I use a phone without vendors official apps. (Door locks, smart lights, etc...)

:crying:

Good for him. He made the right decisions. Not everyone can be so tolerant with the Windows Phone missing out lots of core / regional apps. With Microsoft services made available on other mobile platforms as well, there is totally not much perks staying with Windows Phone at all.

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
It's probably easier to find a satisfied WP for whom it is their first smartphone. Someone coming from iPhone or Android is going to notice the app gap. Some might not care; others will.

This. WP was my first smartphone and I don't regret it for a moment. I did a lot of research first and I chose WP because it was so different than the "big 2." Honestly, it was the live tiles that initially caught my attention.

On the other side of that, I have temporarily switched to Android because I couldn't live without the SiriusXM app anymore. I'd been harassing then for quote a while and got sick of hearing "no plans at this time."

When I first got my Galaxy Note 3 I freaked out about the number of apps in the store. I downloaded tons of apps. After the new wore off I realized that I has stopped using nearly all of those apps. I was down to only using the same apps I had on my WP. Except for SiriusXM of course.

I know this is anecdotal but I believe that the importance of the app gap is widely overstated in most cares.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
This. WP was my first smartphone and I don't regret it for a moment. I did a lot of research first and I chose WP because it was so different than the "big 2." Honestly, it was the live tiles that initially caught my attention.

On the other side of that, I have temporarily switched to Android because I couldn't live without the SiriusXM app anymore. I'd been harassing then for quote a while and got sick of hearing "no plans at this time."

When I first got my Galaxy Note 3 I freaked out about the number of apps in the store. I downloaded tons of apps. After the new wore off I realized that I has stopped using nearly all of those apps. I was down to only using the same apps I had on my WP. Except for SiriusXM of course.

I know this is anecdotal but I believe that the importance of the app gap is widely overstated in most cares.

No the app gap IS there and its pretty bad. I am sticking with windows phone because I love the OS as a whole, but I have been very tempted to go android and the new nexus phones because of getting all the apps I really want.

the_moesiah

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
No the app gap IS there and its pretty bad. I am sticking with windows phone because I love the OS as a whole, but I have been very tempted to go android and the new nexus phones because of getting all the apps I really want.

I was just saying that for me (and in assuming some others but not everyone) the app gap isn't that big of a deal.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I too think the App Gap is no personal big deal.

So many fads in the "need for apps" just don't interest me for my smart device usage.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I like being able to have apps for all my banking/financial needs, hotel apps like fairmonts concierge app, SIRIUS XM is a huge one, plus others that are available through android.

GoodEyeSniper83

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Most of the app gap issues I've had are solved with 3rd party apps. BUT I'm having a huge problem finding educational technology apps that I can integrate in my classroom (I'm a high school teacher). I spent the whole day at an instructional technology conference frustrated BC I can't use a lot of the apps.

ClassicalMood

Oct 31, 2015
Visit site
Go to Store app and search for anything related to Microsoft. There are more than 500 of them from Microsoft itself not including other vendors. Be patient, it is getting there. I completely understand that there is lack of apps but the OS, especially Windows 10, is excellent.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Most of the app gap issues I've had are solved with 3rd party apps. BUT I'm having a huge problem finding educational technology apps that I can integrate in my classroom (I'm a high school teacher). I spent the whole day at an instructional technology conference frustrated BC I can't use a lot of the apps.

I am sorry, but the app gap is no where near closed with 3rd party apps. Find me 3rd party apps for the following on windows.

Fairmont concierge app
Sirius xm with full functionality of the official
Airmiles with full operation
Desjardins with full function
IHG
torque pro for OBD monitoring

I could go on and on.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I am sorry, but the app gap is no where near closed with 3rd party apps. Find me 3rd party apps for the following on windows.

Fairmont concierge app
Sirius xm with full functionality of the official
Airmiles with full operation
Desjardins with full function
IHG
torque pro for OBD monitoring

I could go on and on.

At the risk of you going 'on and on' You could of started with a few more mainstream apps to make your argument. The app gap is there...but most major apps are covered now. It doesn't exist for me. I own an iPad, a Sony Z3 and a few windows phones. Pretty much the same 40 or so apps on all devices. Just lucky I guess...

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Why should I start with mainstream apps. If they are on android, which they are because I have android devices, they can be ported easily to w10 with the new technology. Just because YOU are covered does not mean that EVERYONE ELSE is.

JUST SAYING.

Paul1266

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Because....you make the argument sound weak and it doesn't illustrate the point well when you quote obscure apps. That's all. What's with the caps? No need to get shirty... So many people on here ready to spit their dummy. Sheesh!!

Last edited:

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I converted a friend to windows phone and he returned it after 2 days and bought the new iPhone 6.
He loved the system but the apps that he uses are no there. He mention official apps like (vulkano, philips hue, google photos).
Microsoft needs to do some work before the new Lumias come to the market because it is going to be another disaster and only in use by fun base.

He even asked me. How can I use a phone without vendors official apps. (Door locks, smart lights, etc...)

:crying:

Yeah, Microsoft needs to do some work.

I'd suggest Seal Team 6 storm the developer's headquarters and torture them until they develop apps for Windows 10 mobile.

iwanbo

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Go to Store app and search for anything related to Microsoft. There are more than 500 of them from Microsoft itself not including other vendors. Be patient, it is getting there. I completely understand that there is lack of apps but the OS, especially Windows 10, is excellent.

I'm sorry, but it isn't, and my patience has just about run out. I've been a faithful WP user since WP7 with my Samsung Focus, and I'm just about done with WP. The 950 is a very pretty phone, and I really, really, want to continue using WP, but I'm getting to a point where apps I need just aren't there. I've been saying over and over "it'll get there, just hold off. The apps will come!" and here we are. They didn't come, and it doesn't look like they ever will come.

Yelp for WP is clunky and essentially garbage.
Drone Mobile has been "working on WP app" for years and still nothing.
CDW app is just the website, not even an app.
Official bank apps. Do they even exist?
ReadyNAS remote doesn't exist.
YouTube. YOU. TUBE.
Steam app doesn't exist.
Couples app doesn't exist.
Games are not as good and we get a lot of copycat games not even the official ones.
etc.
etc.

I wanted WP to succeed, and I had high hopes in it because I love the way it looks and functions. Everyone that has seen my phone asks what it is and has interest in it, and hell, some have even bought a WP on their own only to return it a few weeks later because they weren't happy with it. Even though I think WP does a lot right, it has a lot left to do.

Tisho

Dec 14, 2014
Visit site
Guys are you really don't understand that Microsoft really don't care about selling phones, Microsoft take care to sell their services like office or cloud based no matter what OS you use.