11-16-2015 01:31 AM
50 12
tools
    I converted a friend to windows phone and he returned it after 2 days and bought the new iPhone 6.
    He loved the system but the apps that he uses are no there. He mention official apps like (vulkano, philips hue, google photos).
    Microsoft needs to do some work before the new Lumias come to the market because it is going to be another disaster and only in use by fun base.

He even asked me. How can I use a phone without vendors official apps. (Door locks, smart lights, etc...)

10-09-2015 01:50 PM
    He is one person.
    10-09-2015 02:06 PM
    I recommend you and your friend contact those companies and let them know your poor experience. This is how the business team gets numbers to push the devs into releasing apps to multiple platforms.
    Example - Many devs build for IOS..."it's so cool" they say. However If I bought their product, I would be on the phone with them until they fixed my experience.
    I do see lots of Philips apps in Win10 and WP8.1. Google doesn't give much of a crap about their users. I think that's on them, not Microsoft. Microsoft, just to mess with Google, created the very best YouTube client the world has ever seen, just to show off the possibilities, Google made them take it down (that might be part of the reason Google doesn't make apps for WP).
    jvsrinivasan likes this.
    10-09-2015 02:07 PM
    Always ask a user their needs and what apps they use before converting them over to WP. It is not everyone's cup of tea just yet.
    10-09-2015 02:07 PM
    This is why you should not be responsible for converting anyone. YOU are responsible. Any problems will be YOUR fault! And as worldspy99 said, make sure you know what the user needs/wants to do, and see if WP is acceptable based on that.

What did your friend have before? It's probably easier to find a satisfied WP for whom it is their first smartphone. Someone coming from iPhone or Android is going to notice the app gap. Some might not care; others will.
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    10-09-2015 02:16 PM
    I converted a friend to windows phone and he returned it after 2 days and bought the new iPhone 6.
    He loved the system but the apps that he uses are no there. He mention official apps like (vulkano, philips hue, google photos).
    Microsoft needs to do some work before the new Lumias come to the market because it is going to be another disaster and only in use by fun base.

He even asked me. How can I use a phone without vendors official apps. (Door locks, smart lights, etc...)

My phones have been remotely controlled for years now by Microsoft tech and I need need help identifying who it is and figuring out what to do about it. I've been the victim of fraud and all my accounts have been hacked numerous times. I have device info from old devices and my newest one. How can I use this info and who can help me read or view it?

Sent from my XT1019 using Tapatalk
    10-09-2015 02:36 PM
    This is why you should not be responsible for converting anyone. YOU are responsible. Any problems will be YOUR fault! And as worldspy99 said, make sure you know what the user needs/wants to do, and see if WP is acceptable based on that.

What did your friend have before? It's probably easier to find a satisfied WP for whom it is their first smartphone. Someone coming from iPhone or Android is going to notice the app gap. Some might not care; others will.
    He asked me how is the phone and OS. I just told him goodies and next day he show-up with a windows phone. Microsoft needs to do something because people will have a bad taste like him.
    10-09-2015 02:51 PM
    Astoria/Islandwood can't come out quick enough
    JoyfullJuneBug likes this.
    10-09-2015 03:08 PM
    The person responsible is the end user.
    10-09-2015 03:09 PM
    Why doesn't Windows do something ? I don't get it! Nobody develops apps he is not the only one who returned phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-11-2015 07:14 PM
    My mother however is a satisfied user, my husband would probably love a windows phone(but has an android and got used to it)
    Everyone is different

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    xandros9 likes this.
    10-11-2015 07:16 PM
    Should've gave the person the "try before you buy" approach. I have and some people say they don't like it, others do or I'll get one later on.
    xandros9, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-11-2015 07:20 PM
    They really need apps in order to have the system popular. It is hard to support a system with only users like us period.
    mikepalma and WesleyBPeres like this.
    10-12-2015 08:55 AM
    They really need apps in order to have the system popular. It is hard to support a system with only users like us period.
    Hopefully they will come, but probably not overnight.
    10-12-2015 08:57 AM
    Another "we need apps" thread..

yay
    10-12-2015 10:10 AM
    This is why microsoft had a horrible wp sales in last report
    10-22-2015 07:57 PM
    Of all my friends, most of whom are on IPhones, not one of them even knows the 950s are coming. However, we all know about each iphone iteration...Hopefully MS has a serious marketing campaign coming
    10-22-2015 08:08 PM
    I converted 5 older women they had flip phones and now they love the Lumia 520 compared to their flip phone it easy to get to the calendar, set alarms and text. They all needed emails addresses and because outlook isn't as popular as other e-mail services I was able to get them all e-mails with the real first and last names @outlook =)
    libra89 likes this.
    10-23-2015 10:49 PM
    Of all my friends, most of whom are on IPhones, not one of them even knows the 950s are coming. However, we all know about each iphone iteration...Hopefully MS has a serious marketing campaign coming
    I've heard a surprising amount of buzz about the 950. From AT&T employees to just average acquaints and colleges.
    10-23-2015 10:56 PM

If you want to be heavily integrated with other devices home like home automation, multimedia streaming and networked devices Windows Phone is not the platform to be on. Sad but true.

Xbox glass is amazing in that it exists but still doesn't do proper device streaming.
    10-23-2015 11:01 PM
    Astoria/Islandwood can't come out quick enough
    I don't think that will be a panacea. Porting the app is just one slice of pie, but the whole pie is much bigger. Most of the costs come from ongoing support, which if your company cares anything about its brand, it won't release an app and then not support the platform it's running on. Banks were the first to remove their apps, even after the porting work had already been done, because there weren't enough users to justify the support costs, and leaving it derelict poses a direct security threat, so it had to be removed. Other non-banking organizations have done the same thing and for the same reason. Those who haven't end up with situations where the app hasn't been updated in months/years where the Android/iOS versions continue to receive updates.

Besides, even if this did accomplish what you think it will (which it won't) it will just make developers have no reason to target the platform with native apps. When IBM tried making OS/2 compatible with Windows apps, then people stopped creating OS/2 apps, and the whole OS died in the market. This is why when companies want to promote their platform, they usually do the opposite of what Microsoft is trying here. For example, four years ago Google created a framework that made it easy to port Android apps to iOS, rather than the other way around.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-28-2015 04:47 PM

Good for him. He made the right decisions. Not everyone can be so tolerant with the Windows Phone missing out lots of core / regional apps. With Microsoft services made available on other mobile platforms as well, there is totally not much perks staying with Windows Phone at all.
    10-29-2015 10:11 PM
    It's probably easier to find a satisfied WP for whom it is their first smartphone. Someone coming from iPhone or Android is going to notice the app gap. Some might not care; others will.
    This. WP was my first smartphone and I don't regret it for a moment. I did a lot of research first and I chose WP because it was so different than the "big 2." Honestly, it was the live tiles that initially caught my attention.

On the other side of that, I have temporarily switched to Android because I couldn't live without the SiriusXM app anymore. I'd been harassing then for quote a while and got sick of hearing "no plans at this time."

When I first got my Galaxy Note 3 I freaked out about the number of apps in the store. I downloaded tons of apps. After the new wore off I realized that I has stopped using nearly all of those apps. I was down to only using the same apps I had on my WP. Except for SiriusXM of course.

I know this is anecdotal but I believe that the importance of the app gap is widely overstated in most cares.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    libra89 likes this.
    10-30-2015 02:58 AM
    This. WP was my first smartphone and I don't regret it for a moment. I did a lot of research first and I chose WP because it was so different than the "big 2." Honestly, it was the live tiles that initially caught my attention.

On the other side of that, I have temporarily switched to Android because I couldn't live without the SiriusXM app anymore. I'd been harassing then for quote a while and got sick of hearing "no plans at this time."

When I first got my Galaxy Note 3 I freaked out about the number of apps in the store. I downloaded tons of apps. After the new wore off I realized that I has stopped using nearly all of those apps. I was down to only using the same apps I had on my WP. Except for SiriusXM of course.

I know this is anecdotal but I believe that the importance of the app gap is widely overstated in most cares.

No the app gap IS there and its pretty bad. I am sticking with windows phone because I love the OS as a whole, but I have been very tempted to go android and the new nexus phones because of getting all the apps I really want.
    10-30-2015 05:11 AM
    No the app gap IS there and its pretty bad. I am sticking with windows phone because I love the OS as a whole, but I have been very tempted to go android and the new nexus phones because of getting all the apps I really want.
    I was just saying that for me (and in assuming some others but not everyone) the app gap isn't that big of a deal.

RumoredNow likes this.
    10-30-2015 11:09 AM
50 12