Android to Windows-can I access a lot of the same apps?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

Android to Windows

Hi,

I am a core android user from last couple of years and this time I am thinking to get a windows 10 phone i.e. Lumia 950XL but before making the switch I did some research and want to know answers of following questions:

1) How can I access all of my google stuff like google+, youtube etc? And no, I don't want to use the browser for this.
2) Can I install other browsers like chrome, firefox etc?
3) Android is pretty mature OS, nobody complains about failed notification, crashed facebook app etc anymore and hearing lot of this on windows phone, what's up with all that?

Being an Android guy, am a heavy google user, so will be easily get fit and comfy with windows phone?

I do love the interface and build of Lumia phone but these compatibility related questions are not letting my mind say "yes, go for it".

Rooks308

Nov 9, 2014
Visit site
The never ending quandry for Windows Phone. Everyone likes the interface and the live tiles, but then they go to install apps.......

To be fair there are a good number of 3rd party apps to replicate functions you'd get on other platforms (MetroTube instead of YouTube), however no Google Apps are avail on Windows Phone.

I HIGHLY recommend if you are interested in trying out Windows Phone go buy one of the pre-paid low end devices for between $50-$100. You can typically pick up a Lumia 640 for around $60-$80 and this is an excellent phone without investing a ton. Use it on wifi to get started (unless you have a compatible sim, then go at it) and try setting it up and loading all of your favorite apps and give them a whirl for a week or two. You'll really need to use the apps for a few days to make sure they do what you need because even the apps that are on Windows Phone don't necessarily have the same functions/features as their Android/iOS counterparts. Unfortunately apps tend to get updated very intermittently, so keep that in mind.

That said there is project Astoria coming soon which will let you convert Android apps to work on Windows phone which I think is hopefully going to really drive app availability on the platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo