Hi guys - I have multi factor authentication setup for my Microsoft account, azure, and office 365. You know how this works, when I want to sign into any of the above I get a code sent to my phone, enter the code and sign in. I have had this setup for some time and for the most part it works well.

Then about 3 or 4 days ago I started receiving texts on the phone with verification codes - except I wasn't attempting to sign in to any account.

I am now receiving about 50 code texts an hour - it's driving me flipping insane.

Especially since I do use sms a lot for other communication.

Anyway I have no idea how to get these stopped or why it started or which account access these are tied to so I can try to resolve it.

Any one else having this problem - and how did you resolve it?
    10-18-2015 11:16 AM
    Sorry but I have no idea why this avalanche on SMS is coming from. Could it be that someone is trying to "hack" you?
    But do you know about the authenticator app. http://www.windowsphone.com/s?appid=...a-ca22d653759b
    Maybe this is a easier way for you.
    http://m.winsupersite.com/cloud/tip-...tiple-accounts

If you set this up and use the authenticator app iso of a SMS code the avalanche of SMS should stop.
    10-18-2015 11:21 AM
    It could also be that someone (other than you) might have gotten your credentials and is trying to login? The 2-factor authentication might have been protecting you? I would highly suggest changing your password.
    JoyfullJuneBug likes this.
    10-18-2015 11:27 AM
    It could also be that someone (other than you) might have gotten your credentials and is trying to login? The 2-factor authentication might have been protecting you? I would highly suggest changing your password.
    Yes - thanks for the reply. That's is the first thing that popped into my mind - that someone may be trying to login to my account. And I absolutely am going to change my password.

However I am beginning to think that something else is going on here for a couple of reasons: I have not actually tried this but you would think that after x number of attempts to login the account would be locked it. Also these texts are coming so quickly at times I don't think they would be actual login attempts. The other thing is I am getting these non stop, all day and all night, unless this is some kind of scripted login attempt - I'm at a loss...
    10-18-2015 11:48 AM
    This is a classic example of someone trying to brute force a password (scripted, every few seconds).

If you go to account.live.com, login, select "Security and Privacy" (at the top), then "See my recent activity" (left side), you will be able to see successful sign-in, and incorrect password history. It shows the IP address, and a general map of where the activity happened. You might be surprised at the activity.
    10-18-2015 12:31 PM