Is Microsoft Just Not Serious About Mobile- or Just Clueless?

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe Microsoft is serious about the mobile phone market. They might want to be a player on the OS side, but not hardware.

I see ads for IPhones everywhere -- Apple ads, carrier ads, and obvious co-op ads. I see ads for Android devised as well -- Nexus, LG, Samsung, Motorola. Same kinds as Apple. I see NO Windows Phone ads -- NONE. Microsoft is AWOL. I don't even see a significant number of Surface tablet ads anymore; I do see ads for the Surface laptop. I see ads for XBox.

I'm going to keep my 928 until I need a replacement, and unless Microsoft demonstrates it's conviction about mobile, it won't be a Windows phone, which saddens me. I like the OS and my current phone hardware; I don't like a player who doesn't play to win (or even stay in the game). They need to learn this isn't about OS licenses on every IBM-compatible PC that's sold -- they need to fight for this market.

HXD

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Well, I don't think so. In my opinion, I think MS is good at the Hardware side far more than the Software side. Let's hope Windows Phone 10 gets its **** together at the end. But, the reason you see "Ads for IPhones everywhere..." is because MS came late to the show. Apple and Android are already dominating the market, and most Apple products' owners are buying it for the name. Only a few people appreciate Apple, and these people need to rethink their stuff. Android is very-damn-good. Samsung is just ruining it with their Touch-Wiz or whatever. It will take sometime for Windows Phone to be able to compete with the other two. That is, of course, if MS keeps pushing forward at the same pace they're at now.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, I don't think so. In my opinion, I think MS is good at the Hardware side far more than the Software side. Let's hope Windows Phone 10 gets its **** together at the end. But, the reason you see "Ads for IPhones everywhere..." is because MS came late to the show. Apple and Android are already dominating the market, and most Apple products' owners are buying it for the name. Only a few people appreciate Apple, and these people need to rethink their stuff. Android is very-damn-good. Samsung is just ruining it with their Touch-Wiz or whatever. It will take sometime for Windows Phone to be able to compete with the other two. That is, of course, if MS keeps pushing forward at the same pace they're at now.

You can't win the war if you lose all the battles. I understand marketing and advertising. Winning in the consumer space is all about product and mindshare. MS doesn't have any mindshare in that space...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
What exactly is wrong with the hardware? Have you been to a Microsoft store and held a 950 in your hands or are you following the crowd based on "expert" analysis by the tech bloggers?

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
The hardware is fine... Tech bloggers actually liked it. As for ads, the phones aren't even out yet. We don't have a firm release date. There's 0 reason to push a product that people can't even preorder.

Also... My bet is the 950 families are a stopgap device until we can get our intel based (x86?) Surface phones next year.

As an aside at the store today I asked an employee if he had any idea of the release date and he said the following: "I don't really know, but if I had to guess late November to early December. Don't quote me on that I could lose my job for even suggesting that."

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I didn't say there was anything wrong with the hardware. I said MS is bringing up the rear in creating mindshare with consumers.

I LIKE the hardware; I LIKE the OS; I LIKE the platform. I'm extremely disappointed with Microsoft's performance in marketing and creating consumer visibility when compared to Apple and Android. The two leading mobile phone platform suppliers saturate with ads and marketing directed to the consumer; Microsoft is AWOL.

Mindshare is everything in the consumer space. The Microsoft mobile phone platform has relatively none.

I've worked in the marketing space for consumer goods for over 15 years. I have a better than average understanding of what it takes to succeed in a competitive consumer market segment. Microsoft is not getting the job done -- they're not even working at it.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
While I partially agree with you, I understand the importance of mindshare working in marketing myself, you can't shout about a product that isn't ready. You should know you only get one chance to make a first impression with a customer.

707wpfan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
What advertising has been done since the "smoked by windows phone" campaign?
Microsoft I HORRIBLE at advertising.
I'm sick of this attitude that everyone should just run to MS because its awesome and iPhone fans are just sheep.
I've said it before, they'd rather spend hundreds of millions on forcing the NFL to use Surface than any money on mobile marketing. Pathetic

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
While I partially agree with you, I understand the importance of mindshare working in marketing myself, you can't shout about a product that isn't ready. You should know you only get one chance to make a first impression with a customer.
This isn't just about 950/950XL/Windows 10. This is about Windows Mobile in general. It's a long term problem.

Bill Gates understood product "placement" when he licensed DOS and then Windows for distribution with new PCs. The consumer was completely unable to buy just hardware and OS separately; besides there were no viable options. That's not a retail environment, and certainly not the retail environment in which we live today.

Previous Windows phones have been products that were "ready". My 928 has been wonderful. The upgrade to 8.1 was seamless. Windows Phone manufacturers are quite capable of creating products that are "ready". No one (except those of us who pay attention to this stuff) know what's available.

How would they??

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
The day after the Surfacebook announcement occurred Microsoft had ads on various TV stations. Something similar will happen when there's actually a product to sell. At the moment, they don't so there's no reason to go on an advertising blitz. You'll turn off more people than you'll entice if you do that.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
The day after the Surfacebook announcement occurred Microsoft had ads on various TV stations. Something similar will happen when there's actually a product to sell. At the moment, they don't so there's no reason to go on an advertising blitz. You'll turn off more people than you'll entice if you do that.
Microsoft has current Windows phone models -- this isn't strictly about new product introductions.

Apple and Android manufacturers advertise even when they have no new models -- not as much, but they're active in the marketplace. . .

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has current Windows phone models -- this isn't strictly about new product introductions.

Apple and Android manufacturers advertise even when they have no new models -- not as much, but they're active in the marketplace. . .

Apple and Samsung maybe. I haven't seen a single ad for the HTC M9, the new LG V10 or any other Android device.

elindalyne

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site

Yes, because advertising a 640 is going get people excited....

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Apple and Samsung maybe. I haven't seen a single ad for the HTC M9, the new LG V10 or any other Android device.

I have seen a couple for the new LG v10 and even the new Nexus phones... So they are out there.

It would be nice though and certainly wouldn't hurt if they had something ready for the World Series to show..

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
But you guys don't understand, they did advertise the 830, icon, 735, 635, 640 and 1520. The adverts were just bad.

Yet that same company seem to have great adverts for Xbox, surface etc. Conspiracy?

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
It needs to start with the sales people in the stores. I've been actively discouraged by the sales staff at both AT&T and Verizon from looking at a Windows Phone, when I stated that that was what I came in to purchase. Regardless of how much advertising MS does, it won't matter if the customer is strongarmed into another phone at the point of sale.

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
It needs to start with the sales people in the stores. I've been actively discouraged by the sales staff at both AT&T and Verizon from looking at a Windows Phone, when I stated that that was what I came in to purchase. Regardless of how much advertising MS does, it won't matter if the customer is strongarmed into another phone at the point of sale.
MS has no say as to how carrier salespeople act. . .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb