Is Microsoft Just Not Serious About Mobile- or Just Clueless?

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
But they do have a say in whether or not they keep placing their phones in an abusive and unproductive environment.
Certainly - and if those retail environments won't be a productive partner MS needs to to work even hared to get their message out.

Which is the foundation of my original post. . .

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
MS is simply inept. No wp7/8/10 review exists without mention of the app gap. MS has continually failed to address this issue. Imagine if the money spent on the Nokia Acquisition had been invested in getting the top 100 apps to Windows phone?

I'm convinced any new mobile OS can compete with a stylish new phone and the top 100 apps from the original developers.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
MS is simply inept. No wp7/8/10 review exists without mention of the app gap. MS has continually failed to address this issue. Imagine if the money spent on the Nokia Acquisition had been invested in getting the top 100 apps to Windows phone?

I'm convinced any new mobile OS can compete with a stylish new phone and the top 100 apps from the original developers.
I hear what you're saying and agree the app gap remains a problem, but what would you have Microsoft do? They already tried $$$ incentives to developers to create apps. It didn't work. Apps were created, sure. But developers failed to maintain those apps and many fell by the wayside after they were released.

chuckdaly

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I hear what you're saying and agree the app gap remains a problem, but what would you have Microsoft do? They already tried $$$ incentives to developers to create apps. It didn't work. Apps were created, sure. But developers failed to maintain those apps and many fell by the wayside after they were released.

I too remember when MS was paying developers. That was around the release of WP8. It wasn't a huge effort on their part. Windows Phone never could lay claim to having the top 10 apps nevertheless the top 25 or 50 apps. Constantly rebooting the OS, which purges them of core users each time, will never allow them to gain significant marketshare. Go on an iOS forum and the diehards are longtime users, where as here the diehards mostly came here during WP8.1.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I too remember when MS was paying developers. That was around the release of WP8. It wasn't a huge effort on their part. Windows Phone never could lay claim to having the top 10 apps nevertheless the top 25 or 50 apps. Constantly rebooting the OS, which purges them of core users each time, will never allow them to gain significant marketshare. Go on an iOS forum and the diehards are longtime users, where as here the diehards mostly came here during WP8.1.
Huge effort or not, why would paying companies to release apps on windows phone now result in anything different? They'll create and release the app, get paid, and rarely if ever update the app after that, same as before. Why would it be different this time?
Again, HOW do you get developers to make and maintain apps on windows phone? I honestly have no bright ideas.

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Huge effort or not, why would paying companies to release apps on windows phone now result in anything different? They'll create and release the app, get paid, and rarely if ever update the app after that, same as before. Why would it be different this time?
Again, HOW do you get developers to make and maintain apps on windows phone? I honestly have no bright ideas.

Perhaps with apps going universal will attract more user bases? Finger crossed, but I hardly think so. I don't even bother with universal apps on my W10 desktop.

Geodude074

Feb 12, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft themselves have stated that this year is pretty much a loss for Windows Mobile. They didn't really bother to market or sell their phones to ANY carriers except AT&T. The 950 and 950XL are just placeholder phones for now, keeping fans and developers happy until the new Surface phones come out next holiday.

Source: Windows 10: Microsoft Doesn't Really Want to Sell Windows Phones in the U.S.

"We're refocusing our channel strategy, narrowing it in the short-term and planning for broader operator availability long-term," Microsoft says.

"While there was interest across the board from U.S. operators, currently we've made the decision to have AT&T carry the Lumia 950, and then sell both the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL unlocked through our own channel in Microsoft stores," Microsoft's statement continues.

from T-Mobile's Smith: "I like Windows phone, but I don't think Microsoft does, otherwise they would treat it differently."

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft themselves have stated that this year is pretty much a loss for Windows Mobile. They didn't really bother to market or sell their phones to ANY carriers except AT&T. The 950 and 950XL are just placeholder phones for now, keeping fans and developers happy until the new Surface phones come out next holiday.

Source: Windows 10: Microsoft Doesn't Really Want to Sell Windows Phones in the U.S.

"We're refocusing our channel strategy, narrowing it in the short-term and planning for broader operator availability long-term," Microsoft says.

"While there was interest across the board from U.S. operators, currently we've made the decision to have AT&T carry the Lumia 950, and then sell both the Lumia 950 and Lumia 950 XL unlocked through our own channel in Microsoft stores," Microsoft's statement continues.

from T-Mobile's Smith: "I like Windows phone, but I don't think Microsoft does, otherwise they would treat it differently."

Yeah, T-Mobile loves Windows Phone so much they shafted every 810 owner.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Actually, Verizon released Denim before any other carrier in the US and the One M8 is the only non-Lumia on a carrier that received Update 2. I agree wholeheartedly on T-Mobile and Sprint, those poor people got hosed.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I saw more promotion when Nokia was still around. I still think it was a ***** move to not release the 950/XL on multiple carriers. At least att and tmobile. This is the first high end Microsoft branded Lumia in the U.S. And they limited it to one carrier with no promotion.

I think the surface is in a good space where they could cutback on promotion a little bit windows phone definitely needs more and more availability on the carriers. Everyone doesn't have 600-700 to drop on a unlocked phone that's where the carrier financing helps

Sent from mTalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss