Does the release of Youtube Red sign the end of third party apps?

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Google will be releasing a paid subscription model to YouTube tomorrow, (October 28, 2015)
Highlights of YouTube Red
Cost: $9.99/mo
Features:
  • Ad free viewing
  • Watch videos in background
  • Google Play Music integration

As WP users we have a great variety when it comes to YouTube apps. None of them are ad enabled (limitation), several can watch videos in the background, and there are apps like MyTube that can download a copy for offline viewing.
Will YouTube Red give Google another reason to troll the Windows Store?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I hope not.
I don't know how many would go for this though. I think they just want to try to make more money (which is their choice, of course).

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I guess that since google knows if a youtube account is a paying account they will let you stream RED content to that account. I think there shouldnn't even be a need for change in third party apps. What could be implemented in third party apps if APIs are exposed by google is RED account management at least in read-only mode (i.e. the user would still have to go to the website once to subscribe).

Ps. This RED thing su*ks in my opinion :)

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
I guess that since google knows if a youtube account is a paying account they will let you stream RED content to that account. I think there shouldnn't even be a need for change in third party apps. What could be implemented in third party apps if APIs are exposed by google is RED account management at least in read-only mode (i.e. the user would still have to go to the website once to subscribe).

Ps. This RED thing su*ks in my opinion :)

Recall Google's antics with regards to Microsoft's YouTube client. If they do not expose API for third parties to use what will we do?
We're really spoiled by apps such as MyTube, Tubecast, and Metrotube. Lately I've been watching videos on my Nexus Player and the amount of advertisements is disgusting... Moreover their official app is poor functionally/aesthetically wise.

Nobody is dumb enough to spend $10/month for such a garbage client/service XD

Edit: Technically every app we have in the store is in violation of their terms, as there is no way for third party clients to display their advertisements. Microsoft would have done developers good by fighting their BS instead of pulling down their app.

P.S: You guys should check out h3h3productions!

Last edited:

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Nah, it think it just means we won't be able to use Red unless third-parties fill the gap like before.
Technically we already have "Red" on WP lol
But that is the problem, as these third party apps are undercutting Google's latest money grabbing schemes.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Recall Google's antics with regards to Microsoft's YouTube client. If they do not expose API for third parties to use what will we do?
We're really spoiled by apps such as MyTube, Tubecast, and Metrotube. Lately I've been watching videos on my Nexus Player and the amount of advertisements is disgusting... Moreover their official app is poor functionally/aesthetically wise.

Nobody is dumb enough to spend $10/month for such a garbage client/service XD

Edit: Technically every app we have in the store is in violation of their terms, as there is no way for third party clients to display their advertisements. Microsoft would have done developers good by fighting their BS instead of pulling down their app.

P.S: You guys should check out h3h3productions!

Maybe my answer was not clear enough. You login into your youtube account on third party apps (already there). App requests videos with that account, the account is recognized as a subscriber account on youtube server, it can receive RED videos. It SHOULD be as simple as that.

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Maybe my answer was not clear enough. You login into your youtube account on third party apps (already there). App requests videos with that account, the account is recognized as a subscriber account on youtube server, it can receive RED videos. It SHOULD be as simple as that.

If you could watch the first 35 seconds or so :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL1k7JR9qeM
EDIT: MyTube already has all the features, kudos to the dev!

Maybe I should have been more clear...
Does a paid subscription model give Google incentive to attack third party developers? How can a "pay $10 a month for no ads" truly work if there are third party apps that simply cannot display ads?
People might ask, "Why should I pay $10/month when I can buy this app for $0.99 ____ and have no ads"

Even apps on Android such as OGTube support background playback, there's little incentive to pay monthly unless you do not know any better.

Paolo Ferrazza

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
If you could watch the first 35 seconds or so :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tL1k7JR9qeM
EDIT: MyTube already has all the features, kudos to the dev!

Maybe I should have been more clear...
Does a paid subscription model give Google incentive to attack third party developers? How can a "pay $10 a month for no ads" truly work if there are third party apps that simply cannot display ads?
People might ask, "Why should I pay $10/month when I can buy this app for $0.99 ____ and have no ads"

Even apps on Android such as OGTube support background playback, there's little incentive to pay monthly unless you do not know any better.

Oh sorry I never see ads on youtube, I didn't understand someone may pay for removing them :) . I thought RED had many more perks like exclusive videos and much more content.

So I guess yeah they should band third party apps on windows phone.

7a2eer

Banned
Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Oh sorry I never see ads on youtube, I didn't understand someone may pay for removing them :) . I thought RED had many more perks like exclusive videos and much more content.

So I guess yeah they should band third party apps on windows phone.

Haha, adblocks for days!
Unrelated: uBlock Origin is amazingly better than other addons, doesn't kill my Core M hybrid ;)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234