Any way to move apps & data from old SD card to new larger SD card??

jcrod73

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
Using a 640XL with W10M on it. Does anyone know if you can move all app & data from your old SD card to a new larger SD card??

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
You cannot just copy/paste the information over as some are totally hidden from view. But you can try this.

How To Create An Image Of Your USB Drive

EDIT: put SD card into those generic USB stick with multi flash card reader. Plug into computer and clone it. Then clone it again to new SD card. Might work. Never tried it. Let me know how it goes. BTW, I just saved myself the hassle and got 128GB SD card to begin with.

EDIT2: Here's another option:

Using Xcopy to Clone a USB Flash Drive

If you have DOS or a Command Prompt window you can use Xcopy to move your files and clone a USB flash drive. To do this, you will need to know the drive letters of both of your USB flash drives. In this example, if your old USB drive is drive "H" and your new drive is drive "G", you would type the following in the command prompt window: xcopy H:\*.* G: /e /h /k and then press .

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone and Windows 10 Mobile uses the serial number as part of the encryption for your sd card. You cannot copy it, or Windows will be unable to decode the data and it will be useless.

If you want to transfer it, there are 2 ways to do so that I am aware of.
#1: Using Storage Sense, move as many apps as will fit from the SD card to phone memory. Swap to the new card, and move them from phone memory to SD card and repeat this process until you have all your apps moved over.
#2: Uninstall all the apps, then reinstall after inserting the new card. You will likely lose user data for any apps that do not back up that data to the cloud.

Everything besides apps can be copied easily. Pictures, music, documents, and all that can be copied to a PC and then back to the new card.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo