Hi,

Does anyone know what camera sensor is 950XL / 950L using ?

as this news is now official Sony Global - News Releases - Sony and Toshiba Sign Memorandum of Understanding for the Transfer of Certain Semiconductor Fabrication Facilities

what are your thoughts that now SONY is commanding a good majority % of image sensor market ... how will it affect Lumia

Just curious where the direction of camera sensor goes for Lumia phones

thanks

ps; if anyone can reach out Juha on his thoughts, that would be great as well
    10-28-2015 07:22 AM
    Lumia uses sony senzor, the difference between lumia and other phones are the lenses :)
    10-28-2015 07:24 AM
    I would be surprised that the new Lumia devices use the Sony sensor; traditionally they have used the Toshiba sensors...
    The 41MP in the 808 Pureview and the Lumia 1020 were both Toshiba sensors.
    I think the 20MP in the 1520/930 etc. were also Toshiba...

I have not seen evidence to say the 950/950XL do NOT have Toshiba sensors.

Aside from this,
    Toshiba selling their CMOS sensor fabrication plant and the other employees to Sony semiconductors shouldnt be seen as a bad thing...

Samsung / Apple both use Sony CMOS sensors.

In the past it seems that Toshiba has been known to provide differentiating sensors, such as the 41MP, but thats not to say that the group wouldnt live on within Sony and continue doing this type of work again...
    Im sure that contracts that are with Toshiba will be honored - future products.... dont know...
    but this is again pointing to - what can the OEM do with the same sensor as their competitors - how much better is their software algorithm and associated technology, as already pointed out - the sensor is piece of the puzzle, the lens and the software combined with the sensor are the answer.
    10-28-2015 08:54 AM
    Hmmm. Sony and Toshiba together. I try to avoid putting money in Sony or Toshiba's pocket since Sony root-kitted millions of PCs and Toshiba sold US sub secrets to the Soviets. Trying to figure out if this makes that harder or easier. LoL
    10-28-2015 08:57 AM
    Sony makes high quality sensors just like Toshiba. I don't suspect there will be any changes at all, other than with a smaller market for sensors we will likely see similar camera performance across flagship models, just like the snapdragon 8xx series is in just about everything nowadays. Microsoft still has better OIS and lenses at this point.
    10-29-2015 08:22 AM