The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
11-01-2015 04:21 PM
56 123
tools
    I had android for 2+ years and iphone for 5-6 weeks. I could NEVER go back to android. I, and everybody I know have had absolutely horrible experienced with it.

I usually recommend Android to people I really don't like... And this isn't even a joke.
    Alfa Kapa likes this.
    10-31-2015 06:03 PM
    Yep. Thought of it. I've spent a good amount of time on both iOS and Android since we have a bunch of test devices at work that I get to muck around with. Not in love with either of them. If I had to chose I guess I'd pick Android. It just seems WinPhoMo seems barely ahead of itself during 2011 these days. If my 920 ever fails it's going to be an interesting situation. I'm in ATT so I could go 950, but those things are huge!

I really want the BB Priv to be good, but so far it seems too expensive.
    10-31-2015 07:24 PM
    I'm on AT&T so I can do what I want. I'll have a Lumia 950 XL shortly after it drops. I expect I'll be pleased with it too. Nice case, looking professional looking..in short SWEET and not giving a flip about android. BALLIN'
    If you are on a carrier with limited choice, I guess you go with whatever they want to sell you.
    RumoredNow, libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    10-31-2015 08:12 PM
    Android drove me from BlackBerry. Android has a terminally broken update process Unless you are using a unlocked nexus device a typical android user is at the mercy of manufacturers and carriers to patch critical security flaws not to mention just your typical os improvements . In Android security and privacy are not even after thoughts they are given zero thought
    a5cent likes this.
    10-31-2015 09:23 PM
    Android drove me from BlackBerry. Android has a terminally broken update process Unless you are using a unlocked nexus device a typical android user is at the mercy of manufacturers and carriers to patch critical security flaws not to mention just your typical os improvements . In Android security and privacy are not even after thoughts they are given zero thought
    Don't get me started on the info droid wants to know. Everything bar your inside leg measurements. Constant patches / updates. Arrrrrrggggghhhh
    10-31-2015 09:41 PM
    I know it is minor, but the Facebook App and FB Messaging app are so much better on Android. I assume they will become as good on FB soon since they announced it a few weeks ago. But it is another "wait and see" moment...the Facebook Beta 10 is a move in that direction but it is very buggy for me right now.
    10-31-2015 09:51 PM
    So disappointing that most of the people are porting from windows to other platform... Microsoft needs to take this seriously.. .apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps is the top Te reason to hate windows... Microsoft do something fast.... Hoping this week be resolved in windows 10 mobile release and with project Astoria......
    Last edited by venki m; 10-31-2015 at 10:39 PM.
    10-31-2015 10:09 PM
    So disappointing that most of the people are porting from windows to other platform... Microsoft needs to take this seriously.. .apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps is the top Te reason to hate windows... Microsoft do something fast.... Hoping this week be resolved in windows 10 mobile release and with project Astoria......
    Believe me...I don't want to but I have to admit to a more all round productive and useful experience on the Note 5. I love WP like the next person but after having the additional apps, it is hard to go back without them. And the catalyst for me even trying a Note 5 was no 950XL coming to Verizon. I waited for months for the 950XL announcement only to see grim reports that it will never see the light of day on Verizon.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    10-31-2015 10:49 PM
    I know it is minor, but the Facebook App and FB Messaging app are so much better on Android. I assume they will become as good on FB soon since they announced it a few weeks ago. But it is another "wait and see" moment...the Facebook Beta 10 is a move in that direction but it is very buggy for me right now.
    How is Facebook on android "better"? I mean, in how you use FB, what can you do with it on android that you cannot on WP?
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-31-2015 11:50 PM
    How is Facebook on android "better"? I mean, in how you use FB, what can you do with it on android that you cannot on WP?
    Use the "memory's" feature without having to go to browser. Reply to comments on your posts without having to tag the friend your replying to and without having to go to browser?
    11-01-2015 01:59 AM
    Use the "memory's" feature without having to go to browser. Reply to comments on your posts without having to tag the friend your replying to and without having to go to browser?
    Agreed. Facebook on Android pretty much does everything that the browser does. Also including turning off notifications for a post, which when in WP, I always had to jump to a PC browser to turn off. It os super fast, smooth and more enjoyable to use than the browser version. Messenger has these cool chat heads that pop up and to to side of screen and you either touch to read/reply on drag to bottom of screen to dismiss.

The better Facebook app is just a small example of how apps that WP has are miles better. Even Outlook on Android is a joy to use.

And just to reiterate, I'm not trashing my beloved WP nor saying everyone needs to jump ship. But Microsoft needs Windows 10 for phones to be a Renaissance of sorts.

11-01-2015 05:17 AM
    I had android for 2+ years and iphone for 5-6 weeks. I could NEVER go back to android. I, and everybody I know have had absolutely horrible experienced with it.

I usually recommend Android to people I really don't like... And this isn't even a joke.
    I felt the same way...until I tried this Note 5. Felt the exact same way as you. I can't explain why this time it feels so much better

11-01-2015 05:19 AM
    I'll jump this ship now.
    I'll go for the iphone 6s plus as soon as our supplier has them in stock again.
    I'm just so fed up with MS and their love for the competition while leaving their own customers to rot. Running a windows phone means that you are abandoned by everyone including MS.

When I bough my last two WP phones (I bough both 925 and 930 instead of getting an iphone or android for free at work) we had so much unique features and apps (office, OneDrive/skydiver, outlook etc) that I could live with the app gap (even though it is painful to not be able to check in at many airlines, book the company Taxi, get the app for a sport event, music festival etch etc).

But now? What do we get that the competition does not have? Nothing! Nothing at all (even from Microsoft). I.e jumping windows phones will not "cost" anything but will give plenty of new possibilities (and as I do not live in the US , I will also get a voice assistant...).
    Last edited by Ian_Superfly; 11-01-2015 at 05:50 AM.
    11-01-2015 05:33 AM
    bla bla bla...
    Compared to Iphone
    Our own choice (manufacturers, screensizes, price-range, camera specs, colors, build material... Everything)
    Continuum
    Developers have bridges to port from x86, Android and Ios
    Official Disqus-app
    Wireless charging
    Complete NFC
    True Cortana
    Modular resolution in apps
    One app-store for all units (PC, Phone, Tablet, and soon Gaming Consoles)
    More to say in the development of the OS
    Insight in the development process
    Phones that can handle more than 25C and less than 23C
    Better outdoor visibility on screens in general
    Better batterylife

Android
    Security
    Stability
    Speed
    Most points above
    Less crashes
    Less unexplainable behavior
    Your data doesn't get sold

Every system has its pro's and cons. WP users here usually only measure our cons and totally ignore our pros.
    11-01-2015 07:20 AM
    Compared to Iphone
    Our own choice (manufacturers, screensizes, price-range, camera specs, colors, build material... Everything)
    Continuum
    Official Disqus-app
    Wireless charging
    Complete NFC
    True Cortana
    Modular resolution in apps
    One app-store for all units (PC, Phone, Tablet, and soon Gaming Consoles)
    More to say in the development of the OS
    Insight in the development process
    Phones that can handle more than 25C and less than 23C
    Better outdoor visibility on screens in general
    Better batterylife

Android
    Security
    Stability
    Speed
    Most points above
    Less crashes
    Less unexplainable behavior
    Your data doesn't get sold

Every system has its pro's and cons. WP users here usually only measure our cons and totally ignore our pros.
    Agree and can't argue there. But now checking out Android after 3 years away from it...I've come to realize for the common person, it IS about the apps. I'd love to have all the above with the convince of the apps.

I love Windows Phone OS but the only app they do better right now is Groove Music. I do also like having my OneDrive photos visible in a single photo app as well. But it hasn't been enough to move back to MY ICON and an uncertain future of Windows on Verizon

11-01-2015 07:58 AM
    Once you try android and figure out that your Samesung will develop a nasty lag in about six months and won't see marshmallow until android n is about to drop. You will be back . I have all the platforms in my family all on the latest software and I understand the frustrations with Microsoft , windows 10 is a game changer. One ux across desktops, laptops ,tablets, and mobile. Unless you are on a nexus device android is systemically broken . Ios is nice but I find it extremely boring and shares zero commonalities with OS x . BlackBerry 10 has had the rug pulled out by managment and is essentially DOA.
    11-01-2015 08:26 AM
    Once you try android and figure out that your Samesung will develop a nasty lag in about six months and won't see marshmallow until android n is about to drop. You will be back . I have all the platforms in my family all on the latest software and I understand the frustrations with Microsoft , windows 10 is a game changer. One ux across desktops, laptops ,tablets, and mobile. Unless you are on a nexus device android is systemically broken . Ios is nice but I find it extremely boring and shares zero commonalities with OS x . BlackBerry 10 has had the rug pulled out by managment and is essentially DOA.
    I had that problem when I was on the Samsung Captivate and Skyrocket. 6 months in crashes and bugs...I have experienced it first hand. Will it happen to the Note 5? Not sure...my experience was before Gingerbread.

Just being devil's advocate...I don't see a lot to go back to my ICON from what I am getting from the Note 5. A lot of things/apps I liked are gone (Family Room, MSN Food and Drink to name a few).

I finally loaded Windows 10 Insider on my wife's 1520 and whoa, so not ready for prime time. Her new Band 2 would constantly disconnect, Bluetooth problems in her car, her Glance Screen settings would not open and crash, the store would always ERROR when downloading updates to MOTION or GLANCE SCREEN. I had to roll her back to 8.1 and she commented on how old it felt compared to 10 but doesn't want 10 until it is official. In fact, she said "I want a Note 5".

About the Band 2 on Android...seems much more consistent than it ever was on Windows Phone 8.1/10...

I want to come back and would deal with the "app gap" if I can get my hands on a Lumia 950xl on Verizon. But for now, the unknown future on Verizon (and no, can't switch) is causing me to reflect on my mobile needs.

I want WP to flourish but right now, it seems on life support...
    11-01-2015 09:36 AM
    I have to comment on this...this is the worst offender of "wait and see"...OMG, we should have amazing buzz right now about easy ports of these apps and perhaps should have seen at least the Windows 10 counterpart of the Universal apps. NOTHING...and talk of 2016 before we see the fruition of this...they mentioned CANDY CRUSH being the result of this during BUILD...that was back in the SPRING. It is really, really hard to wait and as mentioned, I've been patient and waiting since Pocket PC days.
    Ian_Superfly likes this.
    11-01-2015 09:39 AM
    I'm in Canada where NO carriers are getting the new Lumias. Like you, I want apps. No, I don't need alot but Windows phone is actually worse off than just missing apps. The browser can't handle many sites either (since they are not made with Windows Phone in mind). I have doubts that Edge will fix that. For example, I tried to order pizza from pizza hut while on a trip. No app was available AND the mobile site didn't work on my phone. Eventually I gave up and my brother used his iPhone to order. Grrr...

Because W10 Mobile appears to be nearly dead and will not be supported in Canada, I am now testing out a borrowed iPhone 6. Sadly I can't stand it. A couple of my frustrations are the inability to pin mailboxes to the start screen and the little numbers being a sad excuse for notifications (they do NOT disappear by opening the app, only by manually entering and exiting every email!). Maybe Android is better? After this disappointing experience on iPhone i just wish MS would make a Windows skinned android phone OR somehow allow us to load Google play onto W10 mobile.

*sigh*
    Why not just order one of the new phones direct from Microsoft?
    11-01-2015 10:14 AM
    Yep, While I'm not switching, I'm adding another phone to my stack of phones that I use. My favorite OS by far is windows. I've had an 810,925, 640xl. My 640xl is my daily driver right now, however next week I'll added a 5x to the mix. I just want more apps and I've seen some of my favorite windows apps leave. Android doesn't do much for me, and I'm really hoping developers are just pulling their apps in anticipation of releasing their universal apps. Once that happens, I'll switch my daily driver back. I love the 950, but I'm not going to spend 600 on a new phone that I just browse the internet and text.
    11-01-2015 11:25 AM
    I haven't even tried android , i've missed out so many things due to the lack of apps . Still rocking with my LUMIA 520 . was on windows 10 builds , due to crashing and so many issues rolled back to wp8.1 .
    11-01-2015 11:51 AM
    This post is more like a therapy session...it is agonizing to admit the Android based Note 5 has been so very tempting...and when I fire up my ICON and try to use it, beyond it being the better OS, it just feels so behind the times, even with Windows 10.

If I do return to the ICON, it will be when the official Windows 10 is released as I do tire of having to hard reset each time for best results. Still too many quirks (Band/Band 2 just doesn't connect well as well as general Bluetooth issues) to really use it day to day. And if news on a flagship on Verizon.
    11-01-2015 01:11 PM
    Yep. Thought of it. I've spent a good amount of time on both iOS and Android since we have a bunch of test devices at work that I get to muck around with. Not in love with either of them. If I had to chose I guess I'd pick Android. It just seems WinPhoMo seems barely ahead of itself during 2011 these days. If my 920 ever fails it's going to be an interesting situation. I'm in ATT so I could go 950, but those things are huge!

I really want the BB Priv to be good, but so far it seems too expensive.
    The Priv is bigger than the 950.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-01-2015 01:47 PM
    Windows 10 Mobile has been pretty great for me so far on the Lumia 520. I've actually had more issues with Build 10576 on my PC which essentially broke my computer. I rolled back to Build 10565 and now Groove won't even open and my whole computer just feels a little bloated now. I can't do a reset because I no longer have a way to backup my computer. Life is good, eh?
    I love Android (can't stand iOS) but I just love my Live Tiles, and the seamless Cortana integration, and the Windows Phone navigation just makes more sense in my head with Android. The UX just feels nicer in Windows Phone.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-01-2015 01:57 PM
    Windows 10 Mobile has been pretty great for me so far on the Lumia 520. I've actually had more issues with Build 10576 on my PC which essentially broke my computer. I rolled back to Build 10565 and now Groove won't even open and my whole computer just feels a little bloated now. I can't do a reset because I no longer have a way to backup my computer. Life is good, eh?
    I love Android (can't stand iOS) but I just love my Live Tiles, and the seamless Cortana integration, and the Windows Phone navigation just makes more sense in my head with Android. The UX just feels nicer in Windows Phone.
    I miss live tiles and the UX. I just hope things will improve for WP.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-01-2015 02:04 PM
56 123