Love Windows Phone But Perhaps Heading To Android...Anyone Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Let me give you my background. I first discovered "Windows Mobile" when I picked up a Dell Axim PDA and fell in love with it. When I could finally get it with a phone, I purchased a Cingular 8125 and it was the best of both words. When I picked up an HTC Fuze, I discovered the world of XDA Developers and kept that phone updated that way. While with a Fuze, I picked up a Zune 120GB and wow, what a device. When Windows Phone 7 was announced, I joined their launch forums and participated so much that I won a free ZuneHD. :) My Fuze broke before I could get a Windows Phone 7, so ended up with a Samsung Skyrocket and while I loved the power of Android (if felt almost like Windows Mobile 6.5), I just didn't have a good experience as over time, it would lock up or crash more often than not. Finally, when Windows 8.1 came out, I got a 920. My work offered to pay for my phone, so moved to their account, Verizon, with a 928 and finally an ICON. Over the past few months with Windows 10 builds that drained my ICON way too fast and all but no chance of a 950XL, I decided to "test drive" a spare, unused Note 5 here at work.

2 Weeks later, I am still using the Note 5. Why? That is a complicated question. I've updated my ICON to the latest Windows 10 releases and battery has improved. But I am still using the Note 5.

The answers are complicated for sure but I guess it does have to boil down to apps, productivity, and weary of the "wait and see" Microsoft approach.

Apps. Apps. Apps. I used to be a defender of the lack of apps but can't now once I've had them on the Note 5. OK, Facebook and FB Messenger aren't entirely mission critical apps but oh wow, they are MILES better on Android than on Windows phone. Especially the chat heads that pop up on the side of the screen (I imagine this is where an EDGE works well.)

I feel like I can do more on the Note 5 that I don't have to pick up my beloved (and still loved) Surface Pro 3 because I can do a lot and faster with the Note 5. I've loaded the Note 5 with the Microsoft ecosystem and it works very well, including Cortana. Groove music is the only big negative because of no music scrubbing and/or rewind/forward. I've used the stylus a lot in OneNote, more than I thought I would.

I've also grown weary of waiting on Microsoft and before anyone criticizes that, look at my opening paragraph. I've BEEN waiting, I've embraced their mobile only to have to "reboot" or simply WAIT. Heck, I bought three Surface RT's. Abandoned there too. Project Astoria and Ironwood should already be in full swing and ready for the launch of W10 Mobile. Heck, we should have seen progress since the launch of Windows 10. Again, we are told it is coming...itis coming...wait and see.

With the Note 5, I feel like I am in the NOW. Sure, I much prefer the Windows 10 ecosystem and live tiles but I just can't yet return to my ICON. And with no hope of an upgrade from Verizon or using an unlocked 950xl on Verizon, I just feel like now is the time to change, even if I love Windows Phone.

Bottom line, if the 950xl was going to be allowed on Verizon, I would have no reason to have tested this Note 5. Now that I have, it is hard to go back to my aging (but still great) ICON.

I want to be all in with the Microsoft Ecosystem but considering it runs rather well on Android and no 950xl coming, I may hang on it until the dust settles from this Verizon/Windows Phone debacle.

Anyone else in a similar position? Thoughts...

GoodEyeSniper83

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
You pretty much read my mind. I also have Verizon. I was so excited about my Lumia 735 and love the way it works, but it's just not compatible with so many things.

I spent the entire day at an educational technology conference unable to use the apps and programs bc they're not Windows compatible or there's no WP app. I can't integrate these into my classroom if I can't use it.

I paid for my Lumia outright so I'm stuck with it. I'm considering getting an Android next summer and saving this phone for my kids to play on.

*sigh*

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm in Canada where NO carriers are getting the new Lumias. Like you, I want apps. No, I don't need alot but Windows phone is actually worse off than just missing apps. The browser can't handle many sites either (since they are not made with Windows Phone in mind). I have doubts that Edge will fix that. For example, I tried to order pizza from pizza hut while on a trip. No app was available AND the mobile site didn't work on my phone. Eventually I gave up and my brother used his iPhone to order. Grrr...

Because W10 Mobile appears to be nearly dead and will not be supported in Canada, I am now testing out a borrowed iPhone 6. Sadly I can't stand it. A couple of my frustrations are the inability to pin mailboxes to the start screen and the little numbers being a sad excuse for notifications (they do NOT disappear by opening the app, only by manually entering and exiting every email!). Maybe Android is better? After this disappointing experience on iPhone i just wish MS would make a Windows skinned android phone OR somehow allow us to load Google play onto W10 mobile.

*sigh*

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I'm in Canada where NO carriers are getting the new Lumias. Like you, I want apps. No, I don't need alot but Windows phone is actually worse off than just missing apps. The browser can't handle many sites either (since they are not made with Windows Phone in mind). I have doubts that Edge will fix that. For example, I tried to order pizza from pizza hut while on a trip. No app was available AND the mobile site didn't work on my phone. Eventually I gave up and my brother used his iPhone to order. Grrr...

Because W10 Mobile appears to be nearly dead and will not be supported in Canada, I am now testing out a borrowed iPhone 6. Sadly I can't stand it. A couple of my frustrations are the inability to pin mailboxes to the start screen and the little numbers being a sad excuse for notifications (they do NOT disappear by opening the app, only by manually entering and exiting every email!). Maybe Android is better? After this disappointing experience on iPhone i just wish MS would make a Windows skinned android phone OR somehow allow us to load Google play onto W10 mobile.

*sigh*

YES!!! I do miss pinning just about everything to the start screen. I was able to 'PIN' a ONENOTE 'note' to the home screen but not much is pinnable beyond apps and mostly ugly widgets...

Android is better yes but can be messier. I was going to take our owners suggestion and get an iPhone 6s+ but decided on the Note 5 and it is more "fun" than an iPhone for sure but I do miss the elegance of WP and Live Tiles.

vw412fan

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site

Yeah I actually jumped to a used iPhone 5s on RingPlus, for various reasons (I posted a thread tonight about it)

Really love the Windows Phone interface, but some of the stuff Apple is doing is pretty great, and since the whole family is on iOS I was the odd man out. Having Microsoft's apps available on that platform made it much easier for me to make the switch.

But there are many things that I think Microsoft is doing better on their mobile platform. I hope it continues to grow and survive. :)

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
It's nawing at my stomach but I have put my ICON aside and activated the Note 4 I just purchased. Funny, you mentioned apps and it never occurred to me that I would miss Chipotle or Pizza Hut but there they are on Android store.

I have my Icon for sale here on WC along with a HP Stream 8 tablet. I'll keep the Note 4 until a final decision is made on MS vs Verizon. Why should I be forced to change carriers to get the 950xl. So confused and pissed at the same time.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Chipotle order page works with UC browser on 8.1 and Edge on 10. I agree that some websites might not work with the legacy IE on WP8. Pizza Hut has an app for WP. Maybe it's US only. I could see people frustration with Lumia 950XL might not be on Verizon, but there are other OEMs out there too, not just Microsoft.

Tsepz_GP

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
Let me give you my background. I first discovered "Windows Mobile" when I picked up a Dell Axim PDA and fell in love with it. When I could finally get it with a phone, I purchased a Cingular 8125 and it was the best of both words. When I picked up an HTC Fuze, I discovered the world of XDA Developers and kept that phone updated that way. While with a Fuze, I picked up a Zune 120GB and wow, what a device. When Windows Phone 7 was announced, I joined their launch forums and participated so much that I won a free ZuneHD. :) My Fuze broke before I could get a Windows Phone 7, so ended up with a Samsung Skyrocket and while I loved the power of Android (if felt almost like Windows Mobile 6.5), I just didn't have a good experience as over time, it would lock up or crash more often than not. Finally, when Windows 8.1 came out, I got a 920. My work offered to pay for my phone, so moved to their account, Verizon, with a 928 and finally an ICON. Over the past few months with Windows 10 builds that drained my ICON way too fast and all but no chance of a 950XL, I decided to "test drive" a spare, unused Note 5 here at work.

2 Weeks later, I am still using the Note 5. Why? That is a complicated question. I've updated my ICON to the latest Windows 10 releases and battery has improved. But I am still using the Note 5.

The answers are complicated for sure but I guess it does have to boil down to apps, productivity, and weary of the "wait and see" Microsoft approach.

Apps. Apps. Apps. I used to be a defender of the lack of apps but can't now once I've had them on the Note 5. OK, Facebook and FB Messenger aren't entirely mission critical apps but oh wow, they are MILES better on Android than on Windows phone. Especially the chat heads that pop up on the side of the screen (I imagine this is where an EDGE works well.)

I feel like I can do more on the Note 5 that I don't have to pick up my beloved (and still loved) Surface Pro 3 because I can do a lot and faster with the Note 5. I've loaded the Note 5 with the Microsoft ecosystem and it works very well, including Cortana. Groove music is the only big negative because of no music scrubbing and/or rewind/forward. I've used the stylus a lot in OneNote, more than I thought I would.

I've also grown weary of waiting on Microsoft and before anyone criticizes that, look at my opening paragraph. I've BEEN waiting, I've embraced their mobile only to have to "reboot" or simply WAIT. Heck, I bought three Surface RT's. Abandoned there too. Project Astoria and Ironwood should already be in full swing and ready for the launch of W10 Mobile. Heck, we should have seen progress since the launch of Windows 10. Again, we are told it is coming...itis coming...wait and see.

With the Note 5, I feel like I am in the NOW. Sure, I much prefer the Windows 10 ecosystem and live tiles but I just can't yet return to my ICON. And with no hope of an upgrade from Verizon or using an unlocked 950xl on Verizon, I just feel like now is the time to change, even if I love Windows Phone.

Bottom line, if the 950xl was going to be allowed on Verizon, I would have no reason to have tested this Note 5. Now that I have, it is hard to go back to my aging (but still great) ICON.

I want to be all in with the Microsoft Ecosystem but considering it runs rather well on Android and no 950xl coming, I may hang on it until the dust settles from this Verizon/Windows Phone debacle.

I have done the same with my Note 4, got Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote (use it heavily!), OneDrive, Outlook and Office Lens, and they all work beautifully, even with the SPen, its such a pleasure to use my Android with the MS ecosystem working so smoothly, the best is using OneNote between my Note 4, iPad and Laptop :D

Enjoy the Note5, its a fantastic device. The nice thing with Android is you get incredible devices e.g. Galaxy Note5, Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S6 Edge+, LG G4, Nexus 6P, Xperia Z5 Premium , Moto X Pure etc... That have the best hardware, from Display, Camera, RAM, internal storage, fast charging, Finger print scanning etc... And then you have this huge and highly accommodating app ecosystem, from the best publishers and even games. :)

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Not me. The security situation with Android simply isn't good enough, it doesn't matter whose skew, Stagefright shows the OS is not well written and so can't deliver the protection I require.

Also, the latest build of Windows 10 is good enough to run as a driver and gives me heart for the future.

Lee Power

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Left Android due to security issues, lack of support from OEM to update there handsets, constant tinkering needed by user to keep Android running smoothly without bogging down & of course Google data mining. I'm very happy with Windows Phone, its simple & it works.

silentFan

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
Yep Lee Power got it right, it simple, beautiful and it works. I'm not in the US so no carrier issues. Goodbye to those leaving, sad to see you go..

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Yep Lee Power got it right, it simple, beautiful and it works. I'm not in the US so no carrier issues. Goodbye to those leaving, sad to see you go..

Oh I've not left yet...the Note 5 just gives me reasons o stay...for example, took several pictures from 2 evens last night and woke up to the gallery app notifying me it made a photo/video highlight and wow, that was nice.

Speaking of that, I really liked Microsoft's Movie Creator Beta but I can't seem to get it installed on any Windows 10 device.

And I am still thinking of riding out the Lumia ICON until we get something from Verizon...so not totally out yet....

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Just picked up a iPhone 6s Plus. And in comparison coming from a Lumia 920 then a 1520.... Windows phone/Windows mobile is still in beta!

I know a lot of people may take your comment out of context but I see your point. As much as like Live Tiles and the Experience of WP, everything always seems to be in a beta flux. And not speaking of just Windows 10 Insider, which I admit, is improving.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I have done the same with my Note 4, got Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote (use it heavily!), OneDrive, Outlook and Office Lens, and they all work beautifully, even with the SPen, its such a pleasure to use my Android with the MS ecosystem working so smoothly, the best is using OneNote between my Note 4, iPad and Laptop :D

Enjoy the Note5, its a fantastic device. The nice thing with Android is you get incredible devices e.g. Galaxy Note5, Galaxy Note 4, Galaxy S6 Edge+, LG G4, Nexus 6P, Xperia Z5 Premium , Moto X Pure etc... That have the best hardware, from Display, Camera, RAM, internal storage, fast charging, Finger print scanning etc... And then you have this huge and highly accommodating app ecosystem, from the best publishers and even games. :)

This sums up why it is hard to go back to the ICON. I do like having the more productive apps. The Microsoft apps are quite good on Android. About security, well, I read what each app wants to access and don't install if I don't like it. But I concur, Windows Phone is more secure.

Tsepz_GP

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
This sums up why it is hard to go back to the ICON. I do like having the more productive apps. The Microsoft apps are quite good on Android. About security, well, I read what each app wants to access and don't install if I don't like it. But I concur, Windows Phone is more secure.
WRT Security, you have to be on a mission to get malware to get it on your phone. I tend to get careless, and have turned off Verify Apps and Allow 3rd Party Apps, and haven't had any issues.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Deep down, the ecosystem is the most important factor to me...especially Groove music. I use it on PC, tablets, XBOX and Phone. I really don't have the time to invest the time and money on another music service. On Android, it is not great, if only for the no music scrubbing option. If the Android Groove would get it (and I imagine it will), then it may be even harder to move. But as I said, if I had a 950xl available, it would be pre-ordered by now. :)

And yes, still sitting here with the ICON and Note 5 in front of me, wondering if I will go back to the ICON for a while. I think one thing that is keeping me from it is the unknown future of the OS on phones. Perhaps it will always be around as long as there is a Windows 10, which looks to be a long time. We may just not have the app development we would enjoy on IOS and Android.

Chef316

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I have T-Mobile and am in a similar situation can't afford to switch or by the 950 outright at this time. The speakers broke on my L925 and they no longer have replacement devices available. The best deals they have are for Android devices. :( Will probably be getting a Samsung S5 or something...

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
^^^

You know you can find T-Mo branded Windows Phones all over teh interwebz right? Some are even BNIB...

Heck, if you don't mind not having WiFi calling that opens the field even more. The Go Phone 640 is only $60 at Walmart or Best Buy and you can unlock it in a jiffy on the ATT unlock portal.

I'm not sure how you are giving in so easily if you really want a Windows Phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss