Love Windows Phone But Perhaps Heading To Android...Anyone Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I was a rom dev for android, and I gave up with it in the end. Yes, it has 'more' apps, most of which are duplicates, yes it has nice fashion items from Samdung et al, but, whilst the devices are nice and fashionable, the OS is becoming more 'clunky'. Google rely on 3rd party OEM's to provide the hardware, apart from the nexus which runs vanilla android. Droid has issues with memory bleed, use of hardware and a UI that appears to have been designed by 3yr olds with Crayons. When you buy an OEM device, such as samdung, you end up with a shed load of bloat, which you can remove by rooting, BUT, if you have Knox built in to your device, rooting will 'blow' the fuse which is part of the SOC, and then try getting warranty work done. HTC continue to bootlock, and have s-off. Admittedly, rooting is one of the better reasons for droid, but having done that, those who use banking apps or PPV apps will be out of luck. Also, OEM's on droid tend to drop support rapidly, especially when a new shiny fashion item arrives.

I came to WP by accident. I broke one of my note 3's, and needed a phone whilst I was on the road. Between fares, I shot into a supermarket and grabbed what I thought was a cheap Samsung, for the same money I could have something called a WP 535. I NEVER bothered replacing the note. Everything was so much straightforward and easy to use. I discovered Cortana and that was it. Now have 930, 1320 and 640xl. My whole house is windowed up. My teenage son has never complained about apps. He uses his tablet for gaming.

At the end of the day, it's personal choice. At least MSFT are offering W10M to pretty much all devices, unlike some. I know people with galaxies that are still stuck on 4.4.2!! How poor was that one!!!! No hint of an upgrade, even though 2 of them are 4g phones a year old!!

PS, family guy says it all. Bill Gates goes to a party thrown by Carter where he asks him to help with his ( oh hell forgot what device he said ) mp3 player. He then goes ah ha, I've got an iPod like every one else in the world. Nearly fell of the couch laughing!! How true?? Episode with from 2007 I think;)

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Now for my gripes about new experience on iOS. One button controls is tough to get used to. My 1520 kills my 6s+ in camera section. I feel as multitasking is easier on my 1520 maybe because I'm still getting used to one button control but the 6s is a monster at keeping apps running smooth in the background with zero! Resuming from app to app. But I give full props to my 1520 for a bit better battery life and the best camera but on a whole....... iOS is a boring beast!

Montpbm

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Nope! And for the record I get no more resuming or loading on my 1520. They have completely fixed that in the latest preview build. Apps in the background opens instantly, very fast and fluid.

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey folks - posted this on Android Central - basically reproducing it here. This is one big reason I cling to some hope with Windows Mobile. On a recent weekend trip (+ 2 hours both ways) I used the L1520 and the Galaxy S4 over Bluetooth in a 2013 Dodge Avenger to deal with some work stuff on both ends of the trip. On the way up with the Galaxy, text messages got read OK with the ReadItToMe app, but only after overriding S-Voice with another app. Still could not get Google Maps to work through BT, nor could I set a few reminders for the weekend. On the way back, L1520 was used with W10 Mobile build 1572. Cortana was seamlessly used to navigate, read and send text messages, set up two appointments in my calendar over BT, and fire up a few reminders for late afternoon. I have looked to get that level of integration in the Play Store with various apps on the S4 and I couldn't get it to work. This is one area where Windows Phone really shines, and that's not just my opinion on Android Central (it's been noted on more than a few occasions). I didn't realize how much I took those features of Windows Phone and Cortana for granted until I had to use the S4 (the mic died on my 1520 sadly).

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty excited with the idea of replacing my 920 with a 950 upon release. I admit I am losing some patience and even thought about getting an iPhone for a while. Trying my best to wait patiently. I figure I should be used to it by now.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I had android for 2+ years and iphone for 5-6 weeks. I could NEVER go back to android. I, and everybody I know have had absolutely horrible experienced with it.

I usually recommend Android to people I really don't like... And this isn't even a joke.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yep. Thought of it. I've spent a good amount of time on both iOS and Android since we have a bunch of test devices at work that I get to muck around with. Not in love with either of them. If I had to chose I guess I'd pick Android. It just seems WinPhoMo seems barely ahead of itself during 2011 these days. If my 920 ever fails it's going to be an interesting situation. I'm in ATT so I could go 950, but those things are huge!

I really want the BB Priv to be good, but so far it seems too expensive.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm on AT&T so I can do what I want. I'll have a Lumia 950 XL shortly after it drops. I expect I'll be pleased with it too. Nice case, looking professional looking..in short SWEET and not giving a flip about android. BALLIN'
If you are on a carrier with limited choice, I guess you go with whatever they want to sell you.

keithhackneysmullet

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
Android drove me from BlackBerry. Android has a terminally broken update process Unless you are using a unlocked nexus device a typical android user is at the mercy of manufacturers and carriers to patch critical security flaws not to mention just your typical os improvements . In Android security and privacy are not even after thoughts they are given zero thought

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Android drove me from BlackBerry. Android has a terminally broken update process Unless you are using a unlocked nexus device a typical android user is at the mercy of manufacturers and carriers to patch critical security flaws not to mention just your typical os improvements . In Android security and privacy are not even after thoughts they are given zero thought
Don't get me started on the info droid wants to know. Everything bar your inside leg measurements. Constant patches / updates. Arrrrrrggggghhhh

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I know it is minor, but the Facebook App and FB Messaging app are so much better on Android. I assume they will become as good on FB soon since they announced it a few weeks ago. But it is another "wait and see" moment...the Facebook Beta 10 is a move in that direction but it is very buggy for me right now.

venki m

May 8, 2015
Visit site
So disappointing that most of the people are porting from windows to other platform... Microsoft needs to take this seriously.. .apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps is the top Te reason to hate windows... Microsoft do something fast.... Hoping this week be resolved in windows 10 mobile release and with project Astoria......

Last edited:

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
So disappointing that most of the people are porting from windows to other platform... Microsoft needs to take this seriously.. .apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps apps is the top Te reason to hate windows... Microsoft do something fast.... Hoping this week be resolved in windows 10 mobile release and with project Astoria......

Believe me...I don't want to but I have to admit to a more all round productive and useful experience on the Note 5. I love WP like the next person but after having the additional apps, it is hard to go back without them. And the catalyst for me even trying a Note 5 was no 950XL coming to Verizon. I waited for months for the 950XL announcement only to see grim reports that it will never see the light of day on Verizon.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I know it is minor, but the Facebook App and FB Messaging app are so much better on Android. I assume they will become as good on FB soon since they announced it a few weeks ago. But it is another "wait and see" moment...the Facebook Beta 10 is a move in that direction but it is very buggy for me right now.

How is Facebook on android "better"? I mean, in how you use FB, what can you do with it on android that you cannot on WP?

Chef316

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
How is Facebook on android "better"? I mean, in how you use FB, what can you do with it on android that you cannot on WP?
Use the "memory's" feature without having to go to browser. Reply to comments on your posts without having to tag the friend your replying to and without having to go to browser?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Use the "memory's" feature without having to go to browser. Reply to comments on your posts without having to tag the friend your replying to and without having to go to browser?

Agreed. Facebook on Android pretty much does everything that the browser does. Also including turning off notifications for a post, which when in WP, I always had to jump to a PC browser to turn off. It os super fast, smooth and more enjoyable to use than the browser version. Messenger has these cool chat heads that pop up and to to side of screen and you either touch to read/reply on drag to bottom of screen to dismiss.

The better Facebook app is just a small example of how apps that WP has are miles better. Even Outlook on Android is a joy to use.

And just to reiterate, I'm not trashing my beloved WP nor saying everyone needs to jump ship. But Microsoft needs Windows 10 for phones to be a Renaissance of sorts.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I had android for 2+ years and iphone for 5-6 weeks. I could NEVER go back to android. I, and everybody I know have had absolutely horrible experienced with it.

I usually recommend Android to people I really don't like... And this isn't even a joke.

I felt the same way...until I tried this Note 5. Felt the exact same way as you. I can't explain why this time it feels so much better

Ian_Superfly

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I'll jump this ship now.
I'll go for the iphone 6s plus as soon as our supplier has them in stock again.
I'm just so fed up with MS and their love for the competition while leaving their own customers to rot. Running a windows phone means that you are abandoned by everyone including MS.

When I bough my last two WP phones (I bough both 925 and 930 instead of getting an iphone or android for free at work) we had so much unique features and apps (office, OneDrive/skydiver, outlook etc) that I could live with the app gap (even though it is painful to not be able to check in at many airlines, book the company Taxi, get the app for a sport event, music festival etch etc).

But now? What do we get that the competition does not have? Nothing! Nothing at all (even from Microsoft). I.e jumping windows phones will not "cost" anything but will give plenty of new possibilities (and as I do not live in the US , I will also get a voice assistant...).

Last edited:

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
bla bla bla...

Compared to Iphone
Our own choice (manufacturers, screensizes, price-range, camera specs, colors, build material... Everything)
Continuum
Developers have bridges to port from x86, Android and Ios
Official Disqus-app
Wireless charging
Complete NFC
True Cortana
Modular resolution in apps
One app-store for all units (PC, Phone, Tablet, and soon Gaming Consoles)
More to say in the development of the OS
Insight in the development process
Phones that can handle more than 25C and less than 23C
Better outdoor visibility on screens in general
Better batterylife

Android
Security
Stability
Speed
Most points above
Less crashes
Less unexplainable behavior
Your data doesn't get sold

Every system has its pro's and cons. WP users here usually only measure our cons and totally ignore our pros.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Compared to Iphone
Our own choice (manufacturers, screensizes, price-range, camera specs, colors, build material... Everything)
Continuum
Developers have bridges to port from x86, Android and Ios
Official Disqus-app
Wireless charging
Complete NFC
True Cortana
Modular resolution in apps
One app-store for all units (PC, Phone, Tablet, and soon Gaming Consoles)
More to say in the development of the OS
Insight in the development process
Phones that can handle more than 25C and less than 23C
Better outdoor visibility on screens in general
Better batterylife

Android
Security
Stability
Speed
Most points above
Less crashes
Less unexplainable behavior
Your data doesn't get sold

Every system has its pro's and cons. WP users here usually only measure our cons and totally ignore our pros.

Agree and can't argue there. But now checking out Android after 3 years away from it...I've come to realize for the common person, it IS about the apps. I'd love to have all the above with the convince of the apps.

I love Windows Phone OS but the only app they do better right now is Groove Music. I do also like having my OneDrive photos visible in a single photo app as well. But it hasn't been enough to move back to MY ICON and an uncertain future of Windows on Verizon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte