Windows 10 mobile and android.

Neyney10

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Me coming from HTC 8X and samsung ativ s, now looking at my dad's 2 year nexus 4. It seems that windows mobile is slow.
the nexus 4 is blazing fast and apps like onedrive, whatsapp, gmail, gmaps and such are loading instantly, no splash screen or loading screen.
resuming to those apps works perfectly instant as well, while on the windows phone, beside few built-in apps of windows phone 8/8.1 [let aside wm10] everything loads for a sec or half a sec, and resuming takes time even for whatsapp in few cases. my question is, is really windows mobile/phone faster/smoother than android?

the phone im my country [the nexus 4] costs now around 800 NS [around 210$]
while Lumia 640 costs 1100 NS [around 290$]
lumia 930 costs 2700 NS [around 650$]
(LG G4 costs 2000 which is around 495$)

aside prices, back to the main topic.
I rarely confront lags in the nexus 4, and if I do, It's so slight that I dont care.
I'm not a power user, and I'm havily invested in Microsoft services such and onenote, onedrive and outlook.
too bad that onenote for android doesnt support my language [on windows it works perfectly].
on windows there is no wordflow keyboard for my language [hebrew] while on android there is, which is very useful for 1 hand typing.
so, while performance is out of the account of buying a windows mobile, what advantages does it have?
It's pricey and slow.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The Lumia 930 is $650 where you are? Oh gosh no, no, no, no! That's a HORRID price for a Lumia 930 you should be able to buy one new for $300 or lower.

Now on your topic of performance, my Lumia 520 on Windows 10 Mobile Insider Build 10581 is faster than a lot of Android phones I've seen. And it's running processor that was the lowest of low-end when the phone was new (back in the day three years ago). I put a Note 2 side-by-side with the Lumia 520 running 10549 and the Lumia 520 kept up. Now, the Note 2 isn't a Nexus 4 (the Nexus 4 will, of course, be running pure Android) but it's pretty darn impressive. Windows Phone has always been renown for being very efficient and very secure. It runs the same on a low-end phone as it does on a high-end phone, and this trend has kept. If your Nexus 4 had the same hardware my Lumia 520 does, you'd barely be able to use it. That's not to say that Windows Phone is quite as nippy on the high end, and it's true that in the past it was fast and stable, but not instant. Windows 10 Mobile looks to be changing even that, and the latest build is extremely quick, if not very stable or polished. There's now a more significant difference between different hardware levels, but not because low-end hardware is running less well. Because high-end hardware is running better. It's not the same for everyone but it's going in that direction.

Scouseman

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I own a 640 and a Sony Xperia. The Xperia is way smoother, no lag or crash. I think the "loading.." In windows phone is just something they will never get around. In my experience I can say that I preferred the Android experience on the Xperia vs my Windows phone.

Neyney10

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
the price of the lumia 930 keep rising, it was only 2000 NS [410$] a month ago.
I do like windows phone, dont get me wrong, I own 2 WP my self, but if I can get a mid range spec [like the nexus 4] instead of low-end [lumia 640 is much more expensive than Nexus 4], and the mid-range phone which runs android is way faster than low-end running WM, so why would I get the low end in the first place?

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
the price of the lumia 930 keep rising, it was only 2000 NS [410$] a month ago.
I do like windows phone, dont get me wrong, I own 2 WP my self, but if I can get a mid range spec [like the nexus 4] instead of low-end [lumia 640 is much more expensive than Nexus 4], and the mid-range phone which runs android is way faster than low-end running WM, so why would I get the low end in the first place?
There's no reason for the Lumia 930 price to keep rising. If anything, it should be falling even more. How bizarre, as there's no way I'd pay more than $300 for a Lumia 930. Great phone but not THAT great.

There is no reason. If you prefer Android then stick with Android, sir. Experiences will always differ and I've noticed far better performance with low and mid-range devices on Windows Phone than Android. Android has the edge with high-range devices but then again they also have the edge with hardware. The loading screen is frustrating but something that's also on Android. It's just masked very well. Windows 10 Mobile seems to be going a long ways towards removing those screens if the latest build is anything to go by.
It's whatever you prefer. If you like Android then have fun and go for what you enjoy. No one is stopping you from leaving, after all, and if you're even getting better performance then there's absolutely no reason to stay unless you can't give up the unique Windows Phone design language.

Neyney10

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to my country, Israel.
the HTC 8X was priced 950 NIS [250$]
now is around 600$.

lumia 640XL was 1200 NIS [313$]
now it's 1400 NIS.

the wierd part that it's only for windows phones.
I wouldn't be surprised if the Lumia 950 XL would cost around 1100$ here.

I am a Windows fan, but it is hard to be one in my country cause prices here are 2X more expensive than the rest of the world for Windows, the Android and Iphone prices here are some what the same as abroad.

Ahmar16

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I have Lumia 520 and it works like a charm with W10 Mobile Build 10581. Never been that much better and responsive in a long time. I know there is still some work around the quality of windows 10 on mobile but I am using it as daily driver since windows insider builds started rolling for my 520. I have always been on insider build and 10581 is the best of all.
About the prices,they are kinda same as seeing the exchange rates between countries but yeah not like those described above.

nareshkumarcool

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
I tested Lumia 620 with 10572,WhatsApp taking around 4 sec to open,then I rolled back to wp8.1 ,on it also takes 4sec to open.we all say android is laggy and wp is fast,we can say in terms of scrolling or overall ui experience but in terms of opening app android is much faster,either smooth word should be removed from wp os or Microsoft should do something to make the os real smooth.now I starts developing hate towards wp os bcoz I'm getting tired of resuming and loading everywhere and still have to say to other wp is lag free and smooth

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I would rather have a smooth operating system, and wait an extra second for an app to load, than have a jumpy buggy laggy mess of an os and have that jumpy laggy mess load its app a second faster!

Narathan

May 11, 2013
Visit site
The problem with Android is that the smooth experice degrades over time. Its fast and nippy at first, but after only a few months you might start to notice apps are slowing down when it comes to opening them, to the point where apps even start crashing and the whole OS is just lagging.

My Note 4 (and previous phones like the Nexus 4) became so slow after a while, that I revered back to W10M. And I've tried everything: different kernels, AOSP, Cyanogenmod, stock software, cleaning Dalvik cache, and so on.

And it's not just me. Also, why does Android need top of the line hardware specs and it STILL degrades over time? How is it possible that even an iPhone outperforms even the best Android phones with just mere "ho-hum" specs? (you know what I mean, it's really not that bad actually)

I'm not saying this because I'm hating on Android, because I love the customization of the OS. But if I have to empty my bank every year to buy a new flagship because my current phone with 3gb of ram, 2,5 ghz quadcore cpu and 2K screen slows to a crawl because of software, then there's something seriously wrong. And like I said, I'm not the only one experiencing this.

But the grass always seems greener on the other side if you're a Windows Phone user it seems. Give it a try, I hope you don't come out dissapointed like me. However, I love the latest build and don't seem to have much problems when it comes to slowdowns.

Also, when it comes to prices... Lower stock means higher prices for older models . Say if supplier x sells them for 300,- and supplier y sells them for 400,-... the price will eventually be 400,- since supplier x ran out of stock. I had to pay around 450,- for the NL930 in the Netherlands, while the thing was only around 280 a month ago. But since it's EOL, stores run out of stock and the most expensive sellers remain.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
The problem with Android is that the smooth experice degrades over time. Its fast and nippy at first, but after only a few months you might start to notice apps are slowing down when it comes to opening them, to the point where apps even start crashing and the whole OS is just lagging.

My Note 4 (and previous phones like the Nexus 4) became so slow after a while, that I revered back to W10M. And I've tried everything: different kernels, AOSP, Cyanogenmod, stock software, cleaning Dalvik cache, and so on.

And it's not just me. Also, why does Android need top of the line hardware specs and it STILL degrades over time? How is it possible that even an iPhone outperforms even the best Android phones with just mere "ho-hum" specs? (you know what I mean, it's really not that bad actually)

I'm not saying this because I'm hating on Android, because I love the customization of the OS. But if I have to empty my bank every year to buy a new flagship because my current phone with 3gb of ram, 2,5 ghz quadcore cpu and 2K screen slows to a crawl because of software, then there's something seriously wrong. And like I said, I'm not the only one experiencing this.

But the grass always seems greener on the other side if you're a Windows Phone user it seems. Give it a try, I hope you don't come out dissapointed like me. However, I love the latest build and don't seem to have much problems when it comes to slowdowns.

Also, when it comes to prices... Lower stock means higher prices for older models . Say if supplier x sells them for 300,- and supplier y sells them for 400,-... the price will eventually be 400,- since supplier x ran out of stock. I had to pay around 450,- for the NL930 in the Netherlands, while the thing was only around 280 a month ago. But since it's EOL, stores run out of stock and the most expensive sellers remain.

I had same experience with Android. They slow down after several weeks or months. All the bugs started to show up after a while. You don't know what you'll get with a software update. Those updates could make you want to buy a new phone lol. I had Nexus 4 for couple weeks. It was pretty fast but was rebooting by itself.

Scouseman

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
I had same experience with Android. They slow down after several weeks or months. All the bugs started to show up after a while. You don't know what you'll get with a software update. Those updates could make you want to buy a new phone lol. I had Nexus 4 for couple weeks. It was pretty fast but was rebooting by itself.

I have been using my Xperia for over a year, and I have yet to experience any "slowing" down on the device. Could be a hardware issue I suppose

NatKingColeslaw

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
My Note 4 has most definitely gotten worse each month. Major lag on the keyboard, BASIC apps like contacts closing frequently, random reboots, frozen screens where I have to reboot myself.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

jakepeewee

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
I just installed WM10 for the first time on my lumia 930. At first I enlisted for the slow ring, but that was a slow version of WM10 (iirc .166?). So I changed it to the fast ring and am now running build 581. This one feels snappier even than 8.1. I never really liked the smoothness of 8.1 on my 930, and I think build 581 is allready performing better than 8.1.

nareshkumarcool

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
After watching a video running 10581 on 930,i have to say it's fast,so my conclusion 512 can't capable to getting smoothness,have to stay with loading and resuming.(running 10581 on l620)

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Problem with WP8.1 is Resuming of apps. Try having Whatsapp running under the lock screen, and leave the phone there. Unlock the phone after some time. Resuming. Open Calendar, lock phone and unlock later. Resuming. Same goes for Facebook and Messenger. Lots of app running lock screen will ended up with the Resuming crap. Tested on my 640XL. Not sure about W10 because I'm not the Insider user.

nareshkumarcool

Aug 9, 2014
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile is better in terms of loading and resuming.you will see some loading but very less resuming on512 ram devices can't say about 1gb devices

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Windows 10 mobile is better in terms of loading and resuming.you will see some loading but very less resuming on512 ram devices can't say about 1gb devices

I'm fine with loading - at least the app is working. But Resuming is the killer on WP8.1. The app is neither working nor even loaded. To make things worse, apps tend to wake up so slowly when switched to. The Facebook Messenger is an excellent example. It will try to reconnect and resync the messages every time I switch over to it - even for just a couples of minutes later. Things get worse if I'm on a bad Internet connection. However, Messenger on Android is just so quick and responsive. Messages are already downloaded ready for reading when switched to. Android is laggy? Not with my experiences.

There is something just wrong with WP8.1. Apps can't stay connected in the background. Too much limitations with the OS. So frustrating sometimes.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte