Wife switch to iPhone

scumdogmillionaire

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Let's all bow our heads and have a moment of silence... we lost another one.

My wife's first smartphone was the Samsung Focus (WP7), kept it until the 920 was released and upgraded to that. So she's been on WP since the beginning and has been there ever since... until yesterday.

The straw the broke the camels back so to speak happened last week. She hadn't yet seen Windows 10 Mobile, though her laptop was in the Insider Preview for about 2 months before final, and likes Windows 10 a lot. So, I updated my 830 to the latest build which was running pretty solid at that point (comparatively to previously builds). We were in the car and she wanted to do a quick Cortana search, so she grabbed my phone. Well, I don't know what it was, but she hated it. It was slow, laggy, and frustrated her to the point where she just put it down, dug through her purse and pulled her phone out. A later experience with 10 mobile went about the same. She just wasn't feeling it.

She (we as a family) love Disney, and while they have put out some good games, their non game apps, especially parks specific stuff (Disneyland, Shop Disney Parks, etc..) just aren't going to happen it seems. I've been promising her it would all get better since 7.5, but I just couldn't do it to her anymore.

She loved her Windows Phone, but something about the combo of 10 and no apps was just the final nail in the coffin for her I think.

Yesterday we went and got her an iPhone 6. She's never liked Apple, and at the moment I don't think she loves the phone. She has mentioned several times already where she thinks Windows Phone is way better, and I agree. But, Windows Phone was just no longer functional or practical for her. Though she will stay in the Microsoft eco-system (Outlook, Groove, OneDrive, etc...)

dbam987

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
It is unfortunate that the app issue is so big for the Windows Mobile. Here hoping project Astoria mitigates some of the emptiness of the app library...

ML10

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for the loss.

My mom is the only one that has an iPhone. My dad, brother, and I have windows phones. My mom always has difficulty when she's texting since the keyboards small and all on her 5s, so we showed her the Swype keyboard we have. She refuses windows phone, still.

She loves taking photos. I show her my 640's photo taking quality. She's like "wow!". I'm like "was only $99 bucks, not $400!". She then says that her iPhone has more memory. I tell her that with WP, you can expand up to 128 gigs. Then she says she meant RAM. I tell her the 640 ram and processing power is pretty much on par with the 5S.

Oh and she can't see ****. I laugh everytime she has to put her nose on the screen, while I have a big ol' 5 inch display.

What can I say, stubborn?

scumdogmillionaire

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
It wasn't a buggy issue. I'm a Microsoft platform dev for a living, she's used to beta OS builds. This wasn't it. It was an experience issue, one that is unlikely to change.

Besides, there were plenty of other reasons I pointed out. Target Cartwheel was another one of those apps that she's finally happy to have.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
To each their own, I won't judge. I am a huge fan of windows phone and sometimes I get frustrated myself. That target app really caused me some distress. I was looking for a you for my daughter and the app gave instant up to date inventory at different stores. I love windows 10 and hope that the app situation improves. I almost pulled the trigger on Android once but just couldn't do it.

Arunabha Goswami

May 11, 2015
Visit site
It was slow, laggy, and frustrated her to the point where she just put it down, dug through her purse and pulled her phone out. A later experience with 10 mobile went about the same. She just wasn't feeling it.

You'll understand why I said what I said.

Besides, there were plenty of other reasons

I agree completely. There are a lot of reasons not to like WM. Most of them are there for a long time - maybe since the beginning (e.g, app gap) and are unlikely to change(much). However, W10M is not in a position to be blamed yet - for that, we should hold off until the launch.

scumdogmillionaire

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
So she's had it for a week now, here's where we're at.

On Monday (3 days after purchase), it met the tile floor in our bathroom and cracked the screen pretty severely. It was gut wrenching. While I've had plenty of not so choice words about Apple in general, I certainly can't complain about their customer service. Without AppleCare we made an appointment at the Apple store for yesterday, they said they could replace the screen for $129. We took it in at our scheduled time and they got her in the system, took a backup (just to be on the safe side) and were about to take it to have the screen replaced. At this point the "genius" was informed that the 6s calibration machine had only arrived the day before and was not yet up and running. In my head I thought "great, we'll have to come back to do this next week." but, without missing a beat she said "...so we'll just get you a brand new phone." Took a new one out of the box, got my wife set back up and we were out the door. Customer service: A+

Her thoughts so far? She's not in love it with, where she really loved her Windows Phone. She likes the app selection though. She doesn't have or need many, but of those, they're important. Target Cartwheel, Shop Disney Parks, Disney Store, so she likes that. She feels iOS is pretty clunky and gets frustrated with it a bit (no back button, the edit button in messages to delete a text, etc...)

So, she's taking a subpar experience and one that she doesn't like as much just to get the few apps that are important to us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs